Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Clonidine or Fluoxetine????  (Read 5810 times)

Tina1957

Clonidine or Fluoxetine????
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »

Hi Ladies

Have finally decided the Sage Leaf Capsules are doing absolutely nothing for me so am going back to the GP!

When I last spoke to her after having to come off HRT she suggested Clonidine or Fluoxetine, but I declined in the hope that I might be able to manage with a herbal alternative.  I am now desperate to get some relief from these horrendous hot flushes and sweats so just wondered if anyone had experience with either of these medications and could recommend the best one to try.

I must admit the Fluoxetine being an Anti-Depressant is of concern to me, but I have reached desperation point!!

Tinaxx

ladybug50

Re: Clonidine or Fluoxetine????
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

Hi Tina, sorry to hear you're having a rotten time.
I am on Fluoxitine (Prozac), its my sixth week.
I cant have HRT due to Heart Probs, so I opted for ADs after a very long chat with my GP.
It HAS helped with my hot flashes, sweats  and insomnia, other symptoms have lessened.. slightly.
It has Not stopped anything totally.. but I now feel things are a little more manageable. BUT it has taken 6weeks to feel the effects so, its not a quick fix.
I also take other supplements too (Black Cohosh, Soy isoflavones, EPO etc)
Hope this info helps you.. best of luck to you.... :bighug:

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:38 AM »

I was given clonidine a while back but didn't work for me. GP said it only works for 1 in 3. Unfortunately I was the  2 out of 3 it didn't work for.
Sorry not meaning to be negative, just honest.

walking the dog

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

I took clonidine earlier in the year and it helped with the night sweats and hot flushes however, it totally disagreed with my mood and i felt irritable on it, I went back to see the gp who said to stop it at once! I take an ad it had done nothing for the flushes etc but it has helped with peri meno anxiety.xx

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »

I've been taking Fluoxetine for 8 years for my OCD and it was a life saver.
So can't comment on that for meno but I am 3 wks in on taking the AD mirtazapine(zispin) for anxiety.
I am surprised at how quick this AD started to work.
It seems to have dealt with the anxiety well although I'm not 100 percent
Myself yet but feel I'm getting there.
Don't know if saying this has helped you much but I think I just wanted to say that ADs have been good for me.

rosie c

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »

Fluxotine has been great for me regarding low mood and the sweats, but it has completely killed any libido I once had.

walking the dog

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »

Hi Rosie c

when i first started to take the ad im on last year which is Sertraline  i was given 100 mg daily it too totally killed my libido, it a balancing act between feeling like your normal delf or feeling sexy! I will post more in private lives bit xx