Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Low Carb Diet  (Read 8763 times)

ellie

Low Carb Diet
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »

I have been at the doctors today, and he wants me to go on a Low Carb diet......it is not because I am very overweight, but he says research has shown that it reduces pain and also my hiatus hernia symptoms will improve.
     I find the diet sheet confusing, only plain Greek yogert and yet cream is allowed  :-\.......He said you can have bacon and egg for breakfast ( no way could I face that in the morning).....but no bread or cereal.
I think I am going to find it very difficult ......HELP!! Anyone. :)

Joyce

Re: Low Carb Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »

Oh that sounds awful. I'm on dairy free so if I had to do that too I would really struggle.  However, you will adjust eventually. I thought being dairy free would be horrendous but have got used to it now.  It takes a lot of reading labels though. Try looking for recipes online and see if that helps.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:32 PM »

Isn't that the Atkins Diet?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

That was the first thing I thought too Taz.

My step father had a hiatus hernia and the very last thing he would have eaten was fatty stuff. Confusing.

It's difficult to exclude stuff from your diet.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

My mum had hiatus hernia too, she struggled. Food had to very plain old fashioned cooking.

ellie

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »

Thanks everyone and yes very confusing  :-\ . One menue I was just reading said.....have a cheese burger without the bread , and if any is left over, eat it for breakfast!!!! Oh for goodness sake  ;D
It's all more awkward because my DH doesn't need to loose weight, his cholesterol  and blood pressure are perfect, he has no arthritic pain......in fact we eat the same things.
   I am going to have to try this Low Card diet,as the doc wants to see me again in two weeks......oh well, lets see what happens  :o

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

Atkins Diet is ketogenic whereby you aim to put your body into a state called ketosis but there is a non-ketoginic low carb diet which doesn't mean you have to test your urine for ketones. If you google non-ketogenic diet Ellie it will bring up info. This is from one of the sites.

"Design Your Own Low Carb Diet
You can create your own non-ketogenic low-carbohydrate diet by simply avoiding grain products such as bread, rice, pasta, cookies and cereals. Also, avoid high-sugar foods, including candy and sweet desserts, replacing them with an abundance of natural fruit and vegetables. Try eggs for breakfast instead of cereal, salads for lunch instead of sandwiches, and more vegetables in place of rice and pasta for dinner. Snack on fruits, nuts, cold cuts, low-fat yogurt during the day. By following theses guidelines, you will naturally lower your daily carbohydrate intake

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/284720-non-ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets/#ixzz2Su5ley52

Taz x

ellie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »

Thanks Taz that is really useful  :)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »

You're welcome!

Taz x  :)

pixie

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

The Eatwell plate shows us how much we should be eating of carbs, proteins and vegetables. Diet should be balanced in my opinion. For hiatus hernia also smaller portions, so that food is not regurgitated back. I've never heard of cutting down carbs for this, but I would then perhaps half the amount on the eatwell plate.
I tend to eat porridge for breakfast, but a lot of people eat bacon and eggs because the protein keeps them going longer. Also I would have a salad for lunch and no carbs, but maybe a banana. For dinner I would only have a small portion of pasta or potatoes with a lot of veg and small protein. Fruit or yoghurt or small dessert. No cakes, biscuits etc, just everything in moderation.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:31:13 PM by pixie »

Firewalker50

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »

Hi Ellie

The way you describe it also reminds me of the Atkins' diet.  I think Taz's link is helpful.   Pixie's experience is good too.

Grain is known to cause Omega 6 which causes inflammation.   A good counter to that is to take Omega 3 in high /pharmaceutical grade oil every day.   Here is an explanation about the levels we should have and what our Western diet gives us:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

However, Carbs come in many forms and so does oil.   Olive Oil and Flaxseed oils are good.  Here are some ideas how to increase your Omega 3 levels:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php'tname=george&dbid=75

A mediterranean type of diet is healthy and good - and you can omit the bread.
You could also read up on Low GI and Low GL foods and recipes.

Perhaps if you find it too confusing, your first step might simply be cutting out grain
- or going gluten free.   You can get gluten/grain free pasta now and it is half decent.  My daughter uses it and I have migrated to it for a lot of the time.

Keep a diary of what you have done and eaten and then how you feel each day.
Does not need to be war and peace.

Good luck.  I believe you will feel better once you get the balance right.

Fx

ellie

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »

Thanks Firewalker, yes it does seem to make some sense as to why my doctor recommends it for me, as I have chronic inflammation. I do take omega 3 every day and he told me to double it........
So far I am quite enjoying the challenge.......going out for meal tonight for DH  birthday.....I will find that a toughie :( Mmmmm no chips  :(
   I will look into glutton free......

Dyan

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »

Poor you Ellie. :(

I know I would find it very difficult to cut down on carbs
I love bread,potatoes,pasta- sorry Ellie-I'll shut up now. ;D

Dyan

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

Oh,enjoy the meal tonight,whatever you have. :)

ellie

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »

Thank you Dyan, I have already decided to have , Gammon, egg, mushrooms, tomatoes, and salad.........not too bad really as long As I don't think of chips  ;D🍟