Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hi - I'm new and being weaned off!  (Read 15136 times)

Taz2

Re: Hi - I'm new and being weaned off!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 07:04:28 AM »

You wont know whether you needed it for symptoms of the meno but you did need it in order to give both your heart and bones the protection they would normally have had.

You are talking about "meno brain" and we all know what you mean as regards not being sure whether you have done something properly. Mind you -  my husband is exactly the same so perhaps it is just a general getting older thing?

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 07:44:09 AM »

Also it tends all get worse the more stressed you get about it. When I speak to some of my colleagues everyone is getting something, and we forget that it is a natural process. My boss is 50 in July, and I notice she has started getting flustered and getting hot. I forget stuff a lot, like I put something in the fridge that shouldn't gone in microwave etc!  I've allways been absent minded.  I had a hot restless night again. Asleep at 12.30, awake at 2.30 and then again around 4 or 6. However, I don't feel bad this am. My hot flushes are just enough to wake me up, but I tend to go back to sleep. My GP said his wife, who didn't opt for HRT, had a bad time of it for a year and a half and now hers has settled. Some people use a fan, but I think they are only useful if you are hot for any length of time, because I tend to get very chilly quickly.  Some use that magicool spray. I can't get on with either of these, because if it happens in the night, the covers go off and then I wake up shivering! I tend to sweat at the back of my neck and arms mainly, and must remember to tie longish hair up at night - maybe that would help!!
Its the feeling you get with it that is sometimes very unpleasant - as if one is climbing a very steep roller coaster, but without all the fun. Then I wonder how hot I'm going to go! I practice slow deep breathing at this point!! Sometimes I would wake up with banging headache and feel like I had been to an overnight party without the fun, but thank goodness not had that for a while!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:05:35 AM by pixie »

bramble

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

How long did you take it for, if you don't mind me asking, and what age were you when you stopped.
Taz x

I had taken it for 6-7 years and was 58 when I stopped.

Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »

Ok - I was rather hoping you would say you were older than me (59) when you stopped and then I could think that in a year or so I might be ok although obviously I would still need something for the vaginal dryness!  ;D

Taz x

Meggie

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

My Gynaechologist has said that I need to come off HRT at the end of this year .... I have been on it for 5 years in November and will be 62 years old then.  I'm already reducing the dosage, through choice, to see how I get on using less.  I used to use Estradose gel 5 days of the week and nothing at the weekend (prescribed dosage) but now use it Monday, Wednesday and Fridays only.  I'll continue in this way for about 3 months then reduce to 2 days only probably in Sept.  Hope I'm doing the right thing ?  Just preparing myself.

Meggie

Babylon Burning

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »

It really does start up every April. It must be because things in life are starting to wake up, plus the bits have had a prodding from the surgeon!! ;D
Has anyone noticed a much stiffer neck at night too?! :-\

Pixie this was me when I was in peri, apart from the prodding by the surgeon!  I would have no periods or any other symptoms over the winter months but when spring arrived everything went haywire, it was just awful.  I had to cancel a holiday last year, my anxiety was so bad.

jayneaddo

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »

Hi

Ive had a red flushed neck (starting to bother me) for a couple of years. I put it down to eczema but realise it must now be hormonal.

It is very prominent and makes me very self conscious.

Best
Jayne

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »

I was beginning to think it was only me!  I knew about the flushing at the sides of the neck was due to HRT as the lady in my beauticians mentioned this to me.  Since I started weaning off, it's gone completely round the back of my neck and onto my chest.  Sometimes it's just bright red like sunburn and then other times it's all blotchy like an allergy.  I'm hoping it will settle down in time.  I'm now on my third week of the medium dose of Premarin 0.625 full time and due to see the Dr on Tuesday to discuss the next step.  All is going well so far - apart from the red neck LOL!  But I can live with that for now  ;)

jayneaddo

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »

I think it's lack of oestrogen as mine has calmed down overnight with my new patch. Wish I'd done it years ago

Jayne

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »

Well, I'm on step 3 of being weaned off Premarin and so far, not too bad.  In fact, pleasantly surprised as I thought it might be tougher.  I'm now taking alternate doses of 0.625 and 0.3 and then will be on 2 more months of 0.3 to see how I go on.  Only symptoms of withdrawal of the higher dose so far have been blotchy skin on neck which I can live with or easily cover with make up and strangely enough, I seem to be producing more plaque on my teeth - sorry if this is too much information!  I'm fanatical about flossing and brushing and floss every morning with both tape and the little brushes in between before brushing and there certainly seems to be more than before.  Anyone else noticed this?  Good things that I've noticed:- less anxious, hair is starting to thicken slightly, less top lip hair, and BP come down too so more advantages so far than disadvantages! I'm going for a bone scan on 1st July which I was due for anyway.  The bone degeneration was my main concern about lowering the dose and ultimately coming off altogether so at least I'll know the situation with my joints before I totally withdraw.  Fingers crossed everything is still OK.

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »

Hello again ladies!  Well a quick update on my weaning off process for you... I've been for a bone scan today and will get the results in 2 weeks via my GP. One thing that bothered me greatly about coming off HRT was bone degeneration as I already have spondilytis of the upper thoracic spine.  I am now on my last week of alternate 0.625 and 0.3mg of Premarin and next week will start the remaining two months on 0.3mg all the time until that pack is finished then I have to return to Docs to see what the next step is.

I am pleasantly suprised at the outcome so far in that I've noticed only one thing which is worse and that is the joint pain in my neck which has spread down the front of my arms but this could be due to being extra busy with work (I'm a florist and it really takes it out of these)

Good things that have happened since lowering the doses are my hair has got noticeably thicker, my skin is clearer, I don't have anymore crashing out fatigue sessions, my moods seem much more positive and happier with life so all in all, it hasn't been the horrendous experience I'd anticipated!

When I went for my scan today, they weighed and measured me and I was shocked to hear that I have lost an inch and a half in height since my last bone scan 7 years ago so I will be speaking to the Doc about that when I go for the results.

Hope everyone else is doing OK.

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »

My bone scan was brought forward by the way as it should have been the 1st July.

KatieLiz

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »

This is one of the things that worry me about stopping HRT, in that lack of estrogen can be a problem with osteoporosis!  Is that not a good reason to continue with HRT? 

Also bladder problems and VA are due to lack of estrogen - why when these can be possible problems are women made to feel they must stop HRT?

I just can't understand why women are made to feel they have to stop taking HRT.  The estrogen is not going to come back, so why can't we continue to replace it? 

I would rather take one tablet to alleviate lots of problems than take lots of tablets to cover numerous symptoms!

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »

To be fair women are only asked to stop HRT, usually, when they get to 60 years of age and this is because of the increased risk of breast cancer and stroke.  They are rarely asked to stop products such as Vagifem because the dose of oestrogen is so low.

It is a case of weighing up the risks and deciding whether to take them I suppose.

Taz x

Meg

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39:40 AM »

The 2002 WHI results stirred up such a lot of anti HRT feelings and we are  still living with those results even though more recent analysis has shown findings to be flawed. Many GP's seem to still be following the guidlines issued after that study hit the headlines even though it is very controversial and more recent evidence seems to put HRT in a much more positive perspective with many positive benefits to women's health providing they can be helped to find a dose which makes them feel better which may be easier for women able to take oestrogen alone

Meg
Pages: 1 [2] 3