Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IBS and other symptoms.  (Read 9992 times)

angelindskiexx

IBS and other symptoms.
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:45 AM »

Hi guys,
I'm having more symptoms lately which are making me anxious. I've been having IBS problems lately, but the last few days I've felt sick to my stomach, and had a horrid taste every time I eat something.  It seems to be improving a little as I'm working on my diet.  The last couple of days I've been struggling with the heat but my hands are very hot and become itchy.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've had this before as it's been coming and going for quite a number of years - It must be at least a year ago since I've had it.  Just wondering what it could be?  Any thoughts?  The other stuff that is bothering me is twitchy feet and muscles in my legs.All these symptoms are triggering my anxiety  :-\
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:05:16 AM by angelindskiexx »

pheonix2013

Re: IBS and other symptoms.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »

I cant really help or advise but I get similar symptoms to you

IBS type symptoms , itchy hands , arms and ankles , restless legs at night

I take iron hoping it will help with the restless legs and itching

rubbing deep heat into legs before I go to bed helps too

Im not sure if the itching is menopause related , Im just beginning menopause and Im only 42 , so Im still finding things out

angelindskiexx

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »

Hi Pheonix
I started perimenopause at 42 - I guess I'm still classed as perimenopausal as I haven't gone 12 months without a period yet ( 6 months for me ) -- it's been an emotional journey for me having to deal with all the symptoms as I'm a really big baby when it comes to being sick.  I've managed to cope with the support of ladies going through the same thing - at least we have that.  I've tried progesterone cream in the past which really helped me - I may start taking it again.....  Hope you find something to help you too-  :hug:

Jess x

Buffy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »

I read somewhere that itchy skin can be a side effect of the menopause. I, too, have this and find that my antihistamines that I take for hay fever seem to help! My IBS has also got worse in the last few months - after 8 months without a period I have had 3 in the last 9 weeks. I am sure it is all menopause related. Sorry I can't be of any help though - just remember 'Keep Calm - it's only the menopause'!

angelindskiexx

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »

Hi Buffy - thanks for replying -I've just taken some piriton which is helping with the itching.  I'm sorry that you're IBS has got worse in the last few months -  :(  mine has too --    I always try to remind myself that this is likely to be hormone related and not some horrid disease -  Thank you for reminding me to keep calm! Sometimes I need to be reeled in a bit.

Jess xx   :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

I have itchy insteps  >:( usually at night in the bath.  Sometimes it lasts through the night, not enough to keep me awake but I am aware of scratching my feet with the other heel  ::)

I have restless leg syndrome, I find eating bananas regularly helps.  If really annoying I take Ibuprofen an hour before bed.

These annoying niggles are part of the drop off of oestrogen I think. 

leony

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »

My IBS is dreadful now diagnosed with chronic functional abdominal pain never had it before meno now   say its adhesions from operation as a baby funny time to start playing me up. Broke out in a rash turned out it was excema became infected now on anti-bs and anti-histamines day and night. I hate menopause now sending me to a pcychiarist as i am getting really depressed about all this seems to all meno related itching low mood the lot. In the next life i am definitely not coming back as a woman.

pheonix2013

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

oh you just reminded me i used to take an anti histamine every evening , i think it helped not sure why i stopped

I think becasue im taking multi vit, calcium , iron and various pain killers when the cramps hit me i just get
fed up of stuffing pills in my gob and rubbing cream everywhere

its like a full time job and its only just started

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

Just thought I'd add that according to Dr Miriam Stoppard hormones definately affect gut motility causing all sorts of changes. Just another fun part of the menopause it seems.
K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »

Leony - these adhesions have had years to adhere  ::) and as we get less mobile, maybe now the skin is tightening so that you are aware of it.  Let us know how you get on!

angelindskiexx

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:02:03 AM »

Leony -
I really sympathise with the IBS stuff - trying to control mine with diet.  I think I'm having a dip in hormone levels or something --  Hope you can find something to help you.  The FODMAP diet is supposed to be good.

Kathleen -
Thanks for the info.  I wasn't aware that hormones can cause gut motility problems.

I had a horrible night.  Itching ****ly skin, aches and pains, especially in arms and shoulders, hands and feet hot, legs and feet twitching --  just ripples of movement - Took some anti-histamine for the itching a few hours before going to bed and got up to take ibruprofen...  Eventually I got to sleep.  I seem to have these symptoms that come and go......  I'm so fed up with it all.

leony

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

Told me they won't touch the adhesions or my back/hip as I have scolios never knew till i broke my pelvis used to play basketball, volleyball, badminton and running with the special needs pupil i worked with he had spina bifida. When he left i was working with a pupil with high functioning ASD and no longer needed me to do PE with him thats when they all started to tighten feels as though every thing is attached to my right ribs and stomach, they have basically abandoned me with the pain and told me to get on with it suppose at 58 not worth bothering with feel totally let down by the medical profession. Now am seeing a Pyschiarist to help me with the pain and depression. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »

Oh have a <Leonie> .......... does the Hospital run a Pain Clinic, these are often staffed by Anaesthetists. 

Elena

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »

Leonie that is awful  :(

I hope as CLKD says that you can get to a Pain clinic.

leony

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »

We have 1 main hospital where i live and it covers a massive area from Belfast to Coleraine and Portrush so there are never enough beds and 1 pain consultant, built a brand new 1 in Coleraine 10 years ago and now decided they cant get the staff to work there to far away from Belfast so running it down, the whole of N Ireland has only 6 counties. Did send me a pain consultant in different county but they would only pay for 2 visits as they had to pay out of their budget what a waste of their resources. Now rely on mine GP and phychiarist as they seem to be of more help
Pages: [1] 2