Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spotting ... oh dear  (Read 10133 times)

Hurdity

Spotting ... oh dear
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »

Hi there

For the last few days I have been having spotting which is a bit weird. it's not red - more brown - but definitely intermittent light spotting.

I am on long cycle (2 months) HRT with Estradot 50 patches and Utrogestan 200 mg capsules for 12 days every two months. I am due to start the next course of Utrogestan in just over a week after which I get a withdrawal bleed.

In all the years of taking HRT (over 6 now) I have never had any spotting or bleeding when I'm not supposed to....  ???

I've made an appointment with the doc for next week and spoke to her today and she wants to have a look at my cervix.... she doesn't recommend my starting the progesterone until she's had a look.

Anyone else well post-meno (I'm nearly 60) had anything like this?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spotting ... oh dear
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »

Could it be a polyp, activated by hormones?  Let the GP have a look-see to put your mind at rest.  Unexplained 'spotting' should always be examined.   :hug:

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

Sorry Hurdity I really can't give any advice.

You are doing the right thing getting it checked out but hopefully it's just a blip.

Let us know how it goes.

Honeyb
X

Trey

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »

Friend just had similar and D and C revealed large fibroids.

pixigirl

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

i am going through exact same thing. am 6 years posy meno and never had spotting then acouple of weeks ago it started, same coulour as you. Doc has done a smear and takeb swabs, now i have an appointment on the 24th for further invextigation. It is worrying but IF they find anything it will be delt with promptly. Keep in touch , we can compare notes and support each other. Is rhere a way on here to e.mail in private?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »

Yes - you can send e-mail via 'my messages'  ;)

pixigirl

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »

thanks for thatxxxx

Trey

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »

CLKD,is there something about 100 posts before can use the private messages feature?

meno lesley

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »

Hi

We have emailed each other in the past. I am 55, no period for 5 years, on estrogel and utrogestan 25 days out of 28, and have had some bleeding 2 weeks ago. I went to the doctors and she did a ca125 blood test which I think shows if anything odd going on. She has also referred me under the 2 week rule and I go for a scan and to see a consultant on Tuesday.

I did have some spotting 2 years ago and had it investigated and had a d and c, as the lining was thick but everything was fine. The same consultant as I am seeing this time was very keen to try taking me off of hrt which is my worry that he will say the same this time. I have tried to reduce hrt in the past and I have been all over the show. My daughter gets married in August and I don't want to be acting like some mad woman so hopefully he won't be taking me off.

Did you have any period like pains with the spotting? It may be a hormonal blip. Hopefully the doc will be able to put your mind at rest.

Do hope all goes ok, keep in touch and let me know.

Lesley

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »

Hurdity, sorry to hear about your spotting, it can be very alarming when not expected and has happened to me on several ocassions, more a bleed than a spot though :)
When last have you had a scan of your uterus? It could be that like me, the use of Oestrogen with Utrogestan only every other month may have caused an imbalance and also the lining to get a bit too thick. It happened to me and my gynae then put me back from every 2nd month onto a monthly regime of 10 days of Utro 200mg, that seemed to help things to settle down. I would def ask them to check how thick your lining is, you may need to take the Utro monthly instead of bi monthly.
Just want to add, that like you, I also chugged along very nicely for a long time with no problems and then suddenly out the blue, it started, sigh, never a dull moment :(
All the best, am sure that this is what it could be and nothing more sinister, keep us posted.
xx
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:14:55 PM by Cassie »

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 12:31:41 PM »

Hi all

Thanks for your replies

Have been to see doc today - interesting how they all vary

I mentioned that it happened after intimacy so she examined my cervix as that is the first place to look re bleeding after that.

She said I had an ectropion on there which looks like some weird thing to do with the cells undergoing changes. However she could not see a raw area from which bleeding could come. Also I had a smear last October which was clear. Also she said I had some thrush on there but forgot to ask her what I needed to do about this as I don't think I have any symptoms... . She then gave me an internal to feel my uterus (presumably to see if any obvious lumps/fibroids) and couldn't feel it at all!! It has obviously shrunk!

She said she couldn't say definitely that the spotting (and it is defo not proper red bleeding) was due to the cervix ectropion so would want to rule out uterine cancer possibly brewing (I really doubt it's this as I've never had any untoward bleeding), and told me that I would have to stop HRT immediately for 6 weeks and if it continued after that, then I would be referred. She said - otherwise they would just say the bleeding is due to my HRT and that I shouldn't be on it because I am now 60.

No blood test, nothing.

So it looks like there will be no investigation if I have no further bleeding, and only if it happens after I have stopped the HRT for 6 weeks.

Menolesley - the medical reaction to your bleeding is completely different. Was yours proper bleeding ie red and was it after stopping the Utrogestan? Sorry to hear about yours and hope all is OK - maybe start a new thread as there are several of us going through this at the moment.

Cassie - I had a uterine scan last in Feb 2011 I think when I stopped HRT and had weird pelvic aches and pains - and it was thin, but not since the two monthly regime. They don't do them routinely. How old are you? I think she(GP) is reacting differently because of my age. I knew it sounded much worse - 60 than 59!!!!

Stellajane - strange that you are feeling odd on a long cycle - maybe you are registering that your lining is getting thicker? Important to listen to your body so yes probs best to reduce. Do you get heavy bleeds on the long cycle though?

I hadn't expected this and I am seriously fed up.

I have lots of things on this summer and don't want to be feeling bad. I am wondering if this is her trying to get me to stop HRT completely. She went on about the risks and my age and I countered it with the Premarin thing. She was happy about my continuing before - while both acknowledging the risks, but not now there are problems because she says of course I am defo post-meno now.

There is another female doc in the practice but she is usually booked up for 6 weeks.

I've sent Dr Currie an e-mail under the facility to see what she says and will report back if she is happy for me to do so.

Trey - it's 20 posts before pm's!

Will keep you updated and thanks again for all replies.

Hurdity x

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:41:11 AM by Hurdity »

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »

See another GP even if its 6 weeks ask for an appt and also ask if theres a cancelation can you have it
I too wouldnt want to waste my summer worrying
As for HRT its very hard in Ozz to get it after 55 you can get it of course you can if you go Private
But normal appt with GP they are very reluctant to give it out
Some boddies are now saying women over 50 shouldnt be on HRT which to me seems to defeat the purpose as most women dont seem to go over till late 40s DUUUUU

Cassie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

Hi Hurdity, I am in my late 40's went through prem meno at around 38 so been on HRT for a long time. My gynae does a routine annual scan and had 2 this year due to breakthrough bleeding after which he upped my Utrogestan dosage.
I do hope that you get sorted and keep us posted.
x

meno lesley

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 06:49:12 AM »

Hi Hurdity

I went to hospital Tuesday and had a scan and then saw gynae who said the lining of the womb was fine and the bleeding was probably due to the hrt.

He then went onto say that at 55 and having no period for 5 years that I was very post meno and could try coming off. I very tearfully said that I couldn't even contemplate it before August as my daughter getting married and didn't want to feel how I had before. He said he was going to write to my gp and suggest and gradual reduction. I am shocked by this as the gp I saw originally (who has now left) said I could stay on until I was 60. I have a new gp who thinks I am mad as I keep popping up with either bleeding terrible foot pain. So now I think I have got a fight on my hands to stay on hrt.

I am sorry that you have got to come off. Could you not ask for a scan to see if your lining is ok?

Lesley

meno lesley

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »

Absolutely Stellajane - could do without feeling all over the show around the wedding.

Lesley x
Pages: [1] 2