Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best over the counter for aching joints?  (Read 9705 times)

pdom

Best over the counter for aching joints?
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »

Hello again

New here -- just signed in yesterday. Am about to start HRT (Elleste Duet)... Last few days aches and pains have been appalling. I've been reading around on here and discover that I am NOT mad: I noticed that my session in the gym two days ago seemed to make things worse! It actually hurt to exercise, which has never happened to me before.

Am finding this all a bit of a downer. I am hoping HRT helps once it kicks in, but as each day goes on I just hurt more and more. Last night I ended up on co-cod; hurt to walk around the house! Particularly hips and knees, wrists a bit, shoulders sometimes, and even finger joints! Argh. ALL THE TIME, even when sitting. Feeling sorry for myself...

I am not overweight, am reasonably fit and am 49. Is the best pain relief for me now ibuprofen? More muscular? And I read too on here about Vit D. Do others continue to take it, and does it help? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sorry to have asked another question so soon! Many thanks.

Rowan

Re: Best over the counter for aching joints?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »

Pdom I have been taking Boron for about four weeks now ( its mineral and not expensive, from health shops) I have noticed a difference but it does take at least four weeks to start to work, especially in my two little finger joints.

Here is some info

http://actualcures.com/pain-relief-boron-hip-joint-pain-relief.html

http://www.rexnewnhamarthritiseducation.com/paper.asp

If  you google you will gets loads of information

pdom

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

Thanks silverlady. I've never heard of boron, so good to have something to look into. Many thanks for the links too. I suppose it makes sense that these sorts of aches are also related to arthritis. And the the truth is: I have danced for many years, and I suspect I have all kinds of wear and tear to my joints. I've been troubled for years by various aches and pains, which I have always put down to my history, and received physio etc for it. But this is a bit excessive, and constant, so I think there is another factor now. I'll look into boron!

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

I have a physio appointment next week for sacroiliac joint problem, next stop an Osteopath, my Xrays showed no sign of anything, but the discomfort and toothache like pain belies that.

http://www.aaachingback.com/Conditions_SIJointPain.html

As I said though since taking boron my finger joints feel so much be better.

I am not over weight and always been very supple now all this in the last year, its just not fair ::) hope you find some relief pdom.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »

Wear and tear will show on X-ray but only if the painful areas are filmed.  Joint pain can begin so suddenly  :o  my sciatica has woken me night after night in recent months but is OK in the day-time.  Occasionally I yell 'ouch' as shooting pains dash through different joints  ::)  :o ......... I try to remember to take Nurofen about an hour before any intense activity ........

bramble

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »

Sometimes you can control joint pain by taking care of what you eat. Avoid all acidic food including tomatoes, avoid salty food (pork, bacon etc), avoid dairy products (cream, butter, full fat milk etc). I have had joint pain since my early thirties and can keep it under control by being quite sensible about what I eat. Chinese carry outs are the worst - I am crippled the next day - must be the MSG in them. Red wine is another trigger even though I love it. The food info I got from Jan de Vries, a very well know homeopathic doctor. Have also used homeopathic medecine in the very bad spells with good results.

Bramble

pdom

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »

Wear and tear will show on X-ray but only if the painful areas are filmed.  Joint pain can begin so suddenly  :o  my sciatica has woken me night after night in recent months but is OK in the day-time.  Occasionally I yell 'ouch' as shooting pains dash through different joints  ::)  :o ......... I try to remember to take Nurofen about an hour before any intense activity ........

Thanks CLKD. Yes, wear and tear has shown up in knees but I've never had hips scanned... Pre-emptive ibuprofen is a really good idea I think; I can imagine this working well. Interestingly I did take ibuprofen earlier today, and as I left the house this afternoon I thought, oh that's a bit better... Now of course it's worn off and I can tell. It's not in my head!

pdom

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »

Sometimes you can control joint pain by taking care of what you eat. Avoid all acidic food including tomatoes, avoid salty food (pork, bacon etc), avoid dairy products (cream, butter, full fat milk etc). I have had joint pain since my early thirties and can keep it under control by being quite sensible about what I eat. Chinese carry outs are the worst - I am crippled the next day - must be the MSG in them. Red wine is another trigger even though I love it. The food info I got from Jan de Vries, a very well know homeopathic doctor. Have also used homeopathic medecine in the very bad spells with good results.

Bramble

Again, wouldn't have thought about food etc. I don't each much of what you mention, though I do like red wine a bit (not as much as white!). I had wondered about 'toxins' -- I have had massive 'munchies' for some reason, lots of things which aren't particularly good for me like cake and some sweets... Don't normally eat much of this at all. Now am wondering if I should cut this out. Sigh. But I don't *want* to! I feel at risk of being controlled by my symptoms, which is annoying me. Hmmm. But if it keeps things manageable... Many thanks.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »

I don't tolerate ibuprofen tablets but find that the gel helps.

I also tried a natural green muscle rub which is also very good.

Honeyb
X

purplenanny

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »

Can anyone tell me; is Ibuprofen the same as Nurofen? I am not allowed Ibuprofen due to very slight kidney misfunction, but need anti inflammatories for painful knees & shins. Thanks. PN

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »

I think so - Nurofen is the name given to Ibuprofen - I checked on the net last week for the two 'names', you could ask a Pharmacist?

KatieLiz

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »

I think once you have taken HRT for a while you will find your joint pain easing.  If you still have problems you may need to increase the dose.  GP's prescribe the low dose first ie 1mg but sometimes this is not enough!

pdom

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »

I don't tolerate ibuprofen tablets but find that the gel helps.

I also tried a natural green muscle rub which is also very good.

Honeyb
X

Good grief I'm learning so much! Again: never heard of a green muscle rub! Have heard of the the ibuprofen gel, but had forgotten that might be more efficient and easier on the tummy. Thank you.

pdom

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

I have a physio appointment next week for sacroiliac joint problem, next stop an Osteopath, my Xrays showed no sign of anything, but the discomfort and toothache like pain belies that.

http://www.aaachingback.com/Conditions_SIJointPain.html

As I said though since taking boron my finger joints feel so much be better.

I am not over weight and always been very supple now all this in the last year, its just not fair ::) hope you find some relief pdom.

Thank you!

pdom

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »

I think so - Nurofen is the name given to Ibuprofen - I checked on the net last week for the two 'names', you could ask a Pharmacist?

Yes I think they are the same -- Nurofen is the branding of ibuprofen. But, remembering above message -- you may find you could use the gel? It doesn't get processed through the body so shouldn't affect your kidneys? Would check first, but worth a try?
Pages: [1] 2