Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help! Sanitary towel recommendation.  (Read 18999 times)

Fionabee

Help! Sanitary towel recommendation.
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »

I am 52, after 10 years of Mirena coils and minimal bleeding, pantie liner more than adequate; I have just had the period from hell, not painful but very heavy. I now have sheets to wash and a bucket of pants soaking!
When I looked at the range of sanitary towels I was overwhelmed, there are so many more, and those that sound familiar have all been repackaged and everything is so thin. In the past I used li-let tampons, these alone are now not adequate on certain days
I'd appreciate it if any of you could tell me what works for you.
I can see me spending a fortune as I'm never confident this bleed is over, each time I think it is and use minimal protection, it returns.
Many thanks.
Fionabee.

Weejeannie

Re: Help! Sanitary towel recommendation.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »

Hi Fionabee
For years I have used Always, nice and thin and discreet, just the normal, they are in a square lilac pack, they did me for both heavy and light days.
You can also get extra long with wings etc for extra security, they also do nighttime pads.

I though mine was all over, nearly gave my supply away, kept buying them when they were on special offer so I have quite a few to get through, glad I kept them, needed them last month.

Hope this helps

spider

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »

Hey Fionabee

I've had this happen to me often in the last few years and the flooding is awful. I started to use tena lady pads which have given me the confidence to be able to leave the house! I think the fact that they are made to deal with bladder issues they are definitely stronger.

I found the tena mini ones great and able to cope with the flood.

Hope this helps....it's awful what we have to go through isn't it?

Spider x

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »

I had some flooding in perimenopause - so embarrassing. I remember on one occasion, hubby and I went to a car boot sale. I had in a Super tampon and a Night towel with wings as well. All seemed OK until we arrived back home and I got out of the car kind of backwards so I could lift out some plants we had bought. I felt that awful telltale gush and had to rush indoors but noticed a neighbour over the road was looking in my direction, waiting for me to go and chat which of course I couldn't.

When I got indoors, I saw there was blood all over the back of my trousers  :(   My neighbour must have noticed. I was mortified and cried. To make matters worse hubby (who's next to useless when I get upset) said "If you thought that might happen, why did you say we'd go to the car boot - we should have stayed at home"

In spite of my experience, I think the Night towels with wings are best because if you do have a flood, they offer a bit more protection from "overspill"  Also, always have wet wipes, spare knickers and pads in your handbag (or in the car at least)  And wear long tunics - which might have saved my embarrassment ::)

ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »

Super-plus tampax plus a night time towel worked for me Fionabee. I would mine change every hour to hour and a  half. At night, and this does sound a bit daft but it worked, i would use the super-plus tampax and put a night time towel on and then I would put another one outside my knickers with another pair of knickers on top of that - sort of a double-decker effect! I found that stopped the leakage most times. I ruined a mattress once while staying in a B&B - luckily the owner was also menopausal and it wasn't quite as embarrassing as it would have been trying to explain it to a younger woman, or worse, a man!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »

At one point I resorted to two tampax. Difficult but possible. Also like Taz double pads and knickers. Thought I was the only one.

It's a horrible feeling when you have been sitting for a while and then when you get up there is the rush.

It's one thing I do not miss.

I also slept on top of a waterproof cot sheet under my bed sheet. It saved my mattress.

What us women go through.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »

I had hysterectomy. Quite glad in a way. My mum said she used to flood terribly. I'm talking of Dr White's here. She used to wear two pads at a time apparently. She didn't tell me much, but that she did. She told me it was awful.

Men ain't got a clue!  ;)

lesley998

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »

I use Always Nights and find these adequate for very heavy flow.  I change every two hours. 

Have not used tampons since a gynae Doc told me never to 'plug it up'...let it flow!

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

I don't have a period anymore as I am on conti HRT.

Years ago I had been having recurrent infections and feeling really off. The GP decided to do an internal and found a bit that had come off a tampax.

It was the cause of my infections...it really put me off for a while but when the meno floods arrived I had to go back to using them. I did check very carefully to make sure they were in one piece though.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »

I was never able to use internal protection.  How about maternity pads from Mothercare?  Otherwise I used a panty liner plus really thick pads plus thick knickers.  That awful familiar gush is well remembered  :-\ - laid on a towel in bed many a night .........

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »

The soreness is usually due to the dedorising products now incorporated in towels - why they have to do this is beyond me. Surely it just means that you are tempted to wait longer between changes and this can't be good for their profits!!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »

I NEVER found a towel that was comfortable.  Some used to stick.  Others would rub between my legs leaving a chaffing red sore mark  :-\  ......... and the blood as it was drying did smell.  As for the gushing  :'(

Fionabee

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »

Thank you for all you advice, the double pants/pads made me smile, I've got a vision of myself with a bottom like tellytubby in my head! I've been wearing husbands underpants (or "slips") as they fit more securely and hold everything in place. Always are so slim, STs of my teens were always too short and so thick, and really uncomfortable between your legs, I used tampons as soon as I could. Having stocked up at the weekend, i realise there aren't as many brands as I thought, most of what I'd been looking at was  Always, they do so many different pads, best deal on them at the moment is Sainsbury, so I have stocked up.
I'm so glad I have found this website, there is so much information and advice on it and the forum is terrific.
I do think we got the short straw.......

monsterfromid

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »

I've been having terrible problems with bleeding and flooding over the past few years. Lidls do great incontinence pads which are wonderful for bleeding. Cheap and effective. They come in two sizes/absorbancies. Good luck!  xxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »

Good idea  :thankyou: