Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT 18 months later  (Read 3111 times)

Delilah

HRT 18 months later
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a quandry. Been on hrt and ad's for 18 months now, symptoms in that time have still been very much up and down, more down than up to behonest. About a month ago all changed, i suddenly started feeling like me again, a more positive outlook in general, felt like doing things that i couldn't have cared less about and generally feeling as though life did have some meaning again!!

So now i'm thinking surely this cant be hrt after this length of time? Could it be that my periods have now stopped and my hormones are settling down, i'm nearly 51 and was having them when i started hrt.

My next thought is if the symptoms i started taking hrt for have now stopped,dare i say, could i come off it (scary thought).

I hope i'm not jumping the gun with all this and may need to put the brakes on with these thoughts.

Any thoughts?

Delilah x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT 18 months later
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it  :-\  ........ you feel good.  Enjoy those feelings.  I had to 'learn' to feel well again after a period of crushing anxiety.

KatieLiz

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »

I think when we start HRT in peri menopause this helps with balancing our hormones but we can still experience a few ups and downs depending on how unbalanced our hormones naturally are.  It sounds like your hormones may have settled naturally now - presumably that's why you feel so well.

I have been taking HRT for 18months and I'm 52 - I do intend to transfer to the period free HRT probably when I'm 54 and then intend to stay on it indefinitely.  My concern would be lack of estrogen as I get older and having problems with VA etc.

It may be worth stopping HRT just to see where you're at but I think lack of estrogen can cause so many problems, I would rather keep replacing it as long as possible!

Delilah

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »

Hi both and thanks for your replies

CLKD - I know what you mean by learning to feel well again, I'm just waiting for it to be too good to be true, anxiety has been my worst symptom up until now and I feel like I,ve just crawled out of the deepest blackest hole possible, so I'm afraid to feel well incase it all crashes back down around me.

KatieLiz - Your GP must be more menopause savvy than mine as he insists that by the time I'm 55 I will be coming off HRT like it or not despite my informing him that from my research many women stay on it much longer.  He assures me that was the case years ago but not now!! How do you assert yourself with someone who's supposed to have more knowledge.  He also says that I should swap to conti HRT at 52 when the majority of women will reach menopause.   

I'm not rushing to come off, I'll wait and see how things go over the next 6 months or so, dont want to upset the applecart, but if I have to come off at 55 I'm thinking maybe I should try coming off sooner rather than later before my body becomes more dependant. 

I'll let you know how I get on.   ::)

Take Care  Delilah. x