Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New here, undercarriage questions to ask please  (Read 5028 times)

ancient runner

New here, undercarriage questions to ask please
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »

Hello! New here but have been lurking for a month and found some really useful information -- thank you all. Can I ask some advice please of all you lovely experts?
I'm 51 and my problems came on suddenly in February. Odd story but my husband had a wee infection, was sent to STI clinic and so I was summoned there too. He had a waterworks infection and they wanted to treat me too so huge antibiotic and thrush treatment as well, and they said vaginal flora v. low. Menopause wasn't suggested, but avoiding soap and shampoo was.
Strangely, libido had returned for first time in a couple of years so after all clear we started having more sex again -- at which point I had a two week period and soreness/burning which would not go away no matter what I tried. Couldn't sit to work, couldn't swim, walk or run (I am very active). Went back to clinic but it wasn't thrush or cystitis, and eventually self-diagnosed as menopausal vagina problems. I'd never even heard of this before.  :(
Saw a GP at my practice and explained all this, who sent me away with a tube of Gynest. I asked what happened after the 3 months, wherupon he told me that was the million dollar question. I wasn't left feeling very hopeful.
Things were just starting to improve at the end of the initial 2 week nightly dose, and started getting worse again afterwards. I'm not sure that it's a high enough dose twice a week. I am using every three nights and regularly getting problems halfway between doses, resorting to Replens if desperate (but they really don't mix). Had an awful week a couple of weeks ago when we were on holiday (2nd week of x2 weekly dose) when I could barely walk, swollen and red raw. Now it's mostly OK but I have bad odd days or half days.
I have an appointment to see my long standing GP this week, to ask if I can have Ovestin instead (am I right in thinking it is a slighly higher Estriol dose) and also to ask about his position on long-term use. Am I right in thinking that:
*symptoms v. likely to come back when I come off the cream
*that long-term use is now approved in some way (officially??) and that I can ask for this
* that ovestin is a bit stronger than Gynest
I'd be so grateful for any advice or knowledge on this. appointment has been booked for weeks as this GP was v popular anyway but has dropped his working hours pre-retirement and I am so keen to get sorted for six months with some agreement on future use if required. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here, undercarriage questions to ask please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

:welcomemm:  I too have many of the symptoms you describe: mine began last Tuesday  :o mimicing a urine infection but the specimen didn't grow under culture so GP has given me Ortho Gynest (see thread my bladder).

I never knew there are so many nerve endings 'down there'  >:( ........... last night I felt as though I was sitting on red hot needles and that was when I was laying down  :o  :sigh:   I have resorted to lots of Nurofen ........ which eases off the symptoms enough to enable me to walk.  The feeling of needing to pee though is annoying  :-\

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »

I saw your bladder thread and winced for you. Had lots of cystitis pre kids. As far as I can see Ovestin is same stuff but stronger -- maybe that would help you more? It's what I'm thinking.
However, it took a fortnight before I started to feel more normal again and apart from the terrible week I had later, mostly things are a lot better. Just not quite consistent. Fingers crossed that you get there in a few days as well!

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

I think that Vagifem is the most effective and the one that helps most with both bladder and vaginal issues.

Maybe ask your GP about that for long term use. Of course there is always full HRT.

Honeyb
X

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »

thank you Honeybun. I'd wondered about Vagifem -- is it licenced for long term use where the others aren't? Though might avoid Estradiol for now. I am not convinced I'd need HRT at present as it's really mostly a localised problem. Unless being freezing cold all the time is a symptom...

Elena

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »

Ovestin for the outside bits and Vagifem for inside works best.  Vagifem is fine for long term use.

Poor you,  I winced too at your description :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »

Feeling cold can be a sign of thyroid problems or Raynauds?  Speak with your GP if you haven't had recent blood tests done  :-\

scriv

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »

I was first prescribed Ovestin after the same issues as yourself, ancient runner, which did help. I found it was a week before a noticeable difference though. Unfortunately I was sensitive to Ovestin and changed to Vagifem 25mcg (no longer available) which really was effective,  easy to use and really did the trick. The prescription was long term too for ladies who had had a hysterectomy.
I don't know if that has changed with the 10mcg dose, but it is certainly worth talking to your doctor about Vagifem. Good luck, I certainly understand what you are going through.

ancient runner

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »

Thank you so much to all of your for your helpful thoughts and advice -- I really appreciate it. Given the number of women who'll have these problems, it really shouldn't feel this difficult to get what you need from the GP for a normal life, should it??

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »

thank you Honeybun. I'd wondered about Vagifem -- is it licenced for long term use where the others aren't? Though might avoid Estradiol for now. I am not convinced I'd need HRT at present as it's really mostly a localised problem. Unless being freezing cold all the time is a symptom...

Yes it is you can use it indefinatly
Ive been on it for 3 years some on here 6 years
Read up find the writings
Vagifem 2x7 of untill last year 25m so 50m a week was the equivalent in your blood stream
To 2 HRT pills in a whole year considering people take HRT everyday you can see its hardly of any mind
Vagifem goes directly to the Vaginal walls and re hormones them it also goes to the kneck of the bladder
That stops you wanting to wee your bladder needs the hormones as well so its as safe as can be xxxxxxx

ancient runner

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »

thanks Suzi Q.
Thank god for the internet, eh?