Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: worse symptoms after menopause  (Read 24826 times)

warwick01

Re: worse symptoms after menopause
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »

Hi Milley

I too feel just like you. I'm 54 and been using HRT for about 2 years which has been an up and down experience.

3 months ago I was starting to feel better, dizzies improved, more energy, joint pain improved moods became stable. Then about 4 weeks ago I was hit with the same hammer!! oh my god, all symptoms returned, I can hardly walk due to my joints. I can only think of doom and gloom.

I am of the opinion that my own hormones have stopped working and it may be that the HRT has stopped working. I am sooo fed up with life at the moment. My husband and I are off to Cuba next week (booked when I felt well) all I can think about is what if I get sick all that way from home?

Hope things improve for all of us ::)

W

Firewalker50

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »

Logically, as we are going through menopause our body is reducing in hormones.   They do not build back up on their own, so our bodies are adapting to living with lower hormones.  So in my logical mind, nothing is 'finished', it is just that we start to live with a different level of hormones and have probably become more used to the aches and pains.

The change in hormones affects each person differently, although of course there is a core of symptoms which most women experience to a greater or lesser degree.

However, there are many other factors which affect some of the symptoms we experience.  Adrenal fatique, low functioning thyroid are just two of them.   

Some people attribute everything to 'the menopause' and others don't recognise that the menopause / changed hormones might be causing some of them.

I am 56. I started to change shortly after my 50th birthday and I think my periods stopped at 52, maybe 53.   I suffered from extreme hot flushes which was a nightmare for me at work since I was often in meetings and training people.   I could not sleep and had night sweats.   Then the pains in my back and hips and thighs started.   I developed fibromyalgia.   Had MRI and blood tests and other tests to confirm that diagnosis.   Offered amitryptilene and injections into my spine to kill the pain.

I decided to try treating the situation with chiropractic adjustments and HRT.  I tried 2 x conti HRTs for about a year in total but they did not suit me - I started bleeding and did not really feel good. 

I had a hysteroscopy followed by D&C and removal of a small benign polyp - and had the mirena coil fitted.  That was the start of the improvement in me.   I was oestrogen dominant.

(I know there is much debate about artificial progestogens - that is a separate issue for me).

I have a superb chiropractor who identified my adrenals were very low.  I took Adrenomax for 3 months.   If you don't know already, progesterone and adrenals are closely linked.  If one is low it takes from the other.

When my adrenals improved, so did my health although I was sometimes a bit low in energy.  She identified I needed vitamin B12 rather than a broad spectrum vitamin B which I was taking.

I also read much about magnesium and so use trans-dermal magnesium which helps tremendously with many health issues including migraines and fibromyalgia.

As I progressed and each bit of my health was improving she re-evaluated where I was.  I said I thought I needed oestrogen at that point.   She identified it was still progesterone and to take chasteberry plus - unfortunately that had been recently taken off the market so I took the ingredients separately in tincture form.  Black Cohosh and Chasteberry and Ashwaganda.

Again, after a time, I no longer needed the Black cohosh but was still responding to chasteberry and ashwaganda.   She also identified that I was now responding to a phyto oestrogen support (Menohop) (oestrogen dominance does not necessarily mean you don't need it, you just need to balance oestrogen and progesterone first).

So, now I take

Vitamin B12 spray
Vitamin D3 spray (sometimes 1000 and sometimes 3000 spray levels)
Soup spoonful of high grade Omega 3 fish oil (anti inflammatory and balance of Omega 6 from our diet)
Ashwaganda capsules (love those).
Spray and bath in magnesium oil on and off as required (muscle pain and ongoing top up of my system)
Menohop - hop based phyto oestrogen by Nutri
Probiotics on and off.
Occasional Shiatsu massage and others to keep my body relaxed and in tune.

I have just ordered Gotu Kola.   I have heard about it several times, was recommended to it and felt compelled to read about it.  Worth doing some internet research on it ladies if you suffer from anxiety etc.   Both Gotu Kola and Ashwaganda are ayurvedic herbs and can be taken together - in fact there are some preparations which are combined.

This is a long post, I know.   If HRT worked for me, I would be using it without question.
In my own experience, one size does not fit all and there are many more factors to take into account.

The fibromyalgia I had is gone and I can manage the symtoms.  I noticed some anxiety in the last six months, so that is why I am looking to adjust slightly what I am taking.

There is a site called WomentoWomen.   Very good for information.
It is American although I do know you can get their supplements here if you contact them.
I should say I have not bought anything from them.

However, if you go onto the site, you can read some interesting information and they have a free Profile test you can take.   The result is e-mailed to you and in it they talk about much of what I discovered on my own journey.  It reinforced what I was doing.    it may be of interest to you to guide you.

Alternatively, you could consult a good qualified Herbalist who will do your complete health profile and

So, the post meno journey continues for me but I do approach it a bit differently and with good results for me.

Hope the information is of some help.

Fx

grumpyandIknowit

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »

Hi Firewalker50
Interested to see Gotu Kola and Ashwaganda mentioned in your post as I have read about them as well - I don't want to take HRT as its just delaying the inevitable, so can you tell me where you got/will be getting your supplies from?  I have found loads for sale on the tinternet, and call it Menofog I cant decide which is the best option!
Thanks X

Firewalker50

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »

Hi grumpayndIknow it.

I use Fushi which are good quality products.  Their capsules generally contain 333mg of the product (I know that from contacting them).   I don't have any worries about fillers or poor quality product, although their website is not the best in the world for information.   They Recommend you start with two a day and increase to 4 if you wish.  I would probably stick to 2 a day.  I think (but do not know for sure) you have to try different time of day to see what suits you best to take them - ie morning of evening).

There are tinctures, capsules and oils with Gotu Kola in them.  if you go onto the website and put Gotu Kola into the search engine it will take you to the options.   Both are around £10 for 30 caps.

I know there are others on the market and some may be better or more powerful (or less).   I have used Ashwaganda in tincture and now capsules from Fushi and I have just ordered the Gotu Kola from there. 

I do look elsewhere for the information / articles / recommendations about it and then generally order from Fushi - until someone else recommends somewhere bette.

Hope that helps.

Fx

Rowan

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »

FW I have known about Gotu Kola for years but I never take it for more then six weeks at a time as it can effect blood sugar levels.

It is a highly acclaimed herb http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-gotu-kola.html

I get mine from Amazon
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:25:20 PM by silverlady »

Firewalker50

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »

Thanks for that Silverlady.  I too find that site helpful for herbs.   Gotu Kola has been brought to my attention several times from different sources over the past year or so, and so I reckon I am meant to take it  ;)

I will keep an eye on my blood sugars.

Would you mind telling me the make/product and strength you get from Amazon.  Always good to know a good quality alternative.

Fx

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »

I get Swanson Superior Herbs Standardized - 100 capsules  100mgs

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »

FW a book I really recommend is "Radical Rejuvenation" by Roxy Dillon It was one of my bibles in the middle nineties, I think you will find it very interesting and she devotes  a section to anti aging herbs.

In fact I am going to see if this book has been updated.

Once again you can get it on Amazon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »

Angel: I feel like you  :-\  ............ I thought that once my periods were finished and because I didn't have particularly 'meno' symptoms  ::) and now ....... so do I look forwards to hot flushes etc.  :o ..............

I found during my menstrual years that the bloating was related to my bowel getting lazy, bloating seemed/s to cause asthma-type symptoms when I feel wheezy and short of breath .

Firewalker50

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »

I have not heard of that book but had a quick look at the site and the reviews.  From the brief information I have gleaned it is very much the approach of my chiropractor (she is total health and a bit of a purist).   

Anyway, thank you for the recommendation.

Fx

Elena

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »

Oh great.  It gets worse then?   ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

Maybe  ;)

Firewalker50