Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: My bladder etc.. + VA treatment  (Read 125614 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My bladder etc..
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »

Ask for Vagifem or Ortho Gynest pessaries though the latter is due for withdrawal from the market this year.

Go on your symptoms, you may need a urine test to make sure that you don't have infection which must be sent away!  But ask for treatment and let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »

Hi Dizz

What HRT were you on re the fibroids?

If you look at the information on this site, the Mirena coil is sometimes used to provide the progestogen part of HRT for women with fibroids

Fibroids are benign smooth muscle tumours of the uterine (womb) wall and are dependant on estrogen. They tend to shrink after the menopause but shrinkage may not occur, or they may even increase in size with HRT use. Increase is thought to occur in 25% of HRT users and mainly occurs in the first six months of therapy. There is some evidence that transdermal (patch or gel) but not tablet HRT nor tibolone may promote fibroid growth. [ref 24] Fibroid size can be monitored by regular examinations and sometimes by ultrasound scans. There is some evidence that the use of the progestogen releasing intra-uterine system, Mirena may cause fibroids to reduce in size. Mirena is often used in the perimenopause by women who have heavy periods and/or require contraception and can provide the progestogen part of their HRT.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossF

There is no evidence that Vagifem will cause tumours to increase in size but it is given as a possible side effect on the warnings. However the research demonstrating this comes from other types of HRT, not Vagifem so it is a generalised warning only. Very little oestrogen is absorbed from Vagifem although it does go directly to the uterus.

Estriol is also an alternative but Orthogynest pessaries have already been discontinued (stocks are being run down now), so Estriol cream ( Ovestin or Gynest) are the alternatives. I would definitely ask for something along these lines!

They are all listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hurdity x

Dizz

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »

Thank you ladies, all info much appreciated!

I was on Climesse (conti) HRT Hurdity.  Fibroids were diagnosed around 9 years ago, but as they weren't giving me too much trouble nothing was done and I was allowed to carry on with the HRT.

I have to say, I had no idea about all these different kinds of HRT until I came to this site - none of them have ever been discussed with me by my various doctors over the years.  They always just asked me if everything was OK with it - and would I consider coming off it - plus blood pressure checks etc.  I will definitely be asking about the cream when I go on Tuesday.

Meanwhile I've just been prescribed antibiotics for my chest so if I do have a bladder infection they will hopefully help with that too.

CLKD

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »

ABs will deaden any symptoms in the bladder but don't let that stop you asking for treatment  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »

Dizz - the other thing with ABs that are given for your chest, is that they mightn't be the right ones for any bladder / uti issue. Like CLKD says they may reduce it but not kill it completely. Also, local oestrogen can give a lot of relief.

Rose

« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »

I was reading your bladder thread because I have been suffering hell on earth these past weeks with bladder pain, itching the works.The pain got so bad that even the pain relief patches I use were wearing off ahead of time. I have been told by gyn that I don't have VA but I beg to differ; I have every symptom and even if it is referred pain in the mix, it's still VA. It's never been this bad. I put the Vagifem in and am on my 4th day. I will suffer the side effects because I just can't deal with how bad this has become. I urge anyone with VA symptoms, even mild ones, to do something now before they get worse. I wished I'd listened to my own body instead of listening to the doctor.

CLKD

« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »

My GP recognised symptoms before I did  ::)

hummingbird

« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

Thankyou for bumping this thread CLKD.
I have read it with interest and I'm hoping that once the vagifem kicks in, my bladder pain and discomfort will do one!! As I'm fed up with it now xx

CLKD

« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »

<wave> that's OK!

Rose

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

So glad you started this thread CLKD! I have all the symptoms of a bladder infection with white blood cells in the urine but every test came back neg for infection. I have had bouts of this before but this is continuous and the pain is terrible. I am getting headaches on Vagifem but it's all I've got. The symptoms are easing but I know I have to go the full 14 days loading period. I am in bed with a hot water bottle (no Brad Pitt) when it's 29 degs outside! I didn't realize how bad VA can get if left. Oh, my GP said that a HRT patch would maybe be better instead of the oral route but not convinced that it's the problem. Anyone had better results on Patches?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »

Rose
I'm sure there will be ladies along to advice about patches but I believe patches or Oestrogel can offer better absorption of oestrogen that pills.  DG x

Limpy

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »

Rose - I can understand your GP preferring HRT patches to pills, I think they are better for us generally, less damaging to the liver. However, I believe local, vaginal oestrogen, is needed to deal with VA and UTI like problems. This may be in addition to HRT patches or pills.

Sarah2

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »

Limy- it's not that pills damage the liver, it's that oestrogen passing through the liver affects the level of triglycerides in the bloodstream, which alter the level of fats/ good-bad cholesterol and this increases the risk of blood clots.

HRT doesn't damage the liver- it's the metabolism of oestrogen as it passes through the liver via the stomach that affects the levels and types off fat in the blood.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:07:39 PM by Sarah2 »

Taz2

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:48 AM »

Rose - could your discomfort be something to with the hysterectomy you had late last year? Some women do gets lots of problems afterwards.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:25 AM »

Thanks for that Sarah - I just knew that taking HRT or Contraceptive pills orally weren't good for the liver, didn't know the mechanism.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26