Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: My bladder etc.. + VA treatment  (Read 125558 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
My bladder etc.. + VA treatment
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »

I have had several urine infections since the late 1990s.  All treated with antibiotics. Until the one which began on Tuesday, similar symptoms so went to the Surgery with sample in hand (well not quite literally  ;D ).

The Nurse dipped it and the results were shown to the GP - who didn't have any appts. here but I could have gone to the main surgery 4 miles away  ??? ..... nope, needed to be near the loo and this is my village, my surgery  :cuss: - there weren't enough bugs to warrent ABs so another sample was sent off, which didn't grow any cultures so nowt to treat.

Had a chat to our GP yesterday who advised (**** ) can't remember exactly what.  Since Tuesday my bladder has felt irritated.  I need to pee every 6 minutes when the soreness deep inside is acute.  Nurofen has helped a little.  2 every 3 hours ....... and it hasn't woken me in the night thank goodness.

First pessary last night ......... have been advised that it will take 5-6 days before I notice any difference, go back to the GP in 3 months.  The only place I feel comfy is in the bath or on the loo .......... today the outer lips have felt sore, the 'G' spot feels aggravated and I have stuffed myself with Ibuprofen - at least the 6.00 p.m. dose (2) eased symptoms - at last ........
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:29:34 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

Re: My bladder etc..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

It really sounds like VA CLKD.

I know you love your bubble baths but I think you should stop for a little while. Everything is drying up and sitting in water no matter how soothing is not helping in the long run.
Your pessaries will help....I use Vagifem.....but it takes a little while.
Have you tried D Mannose from Waterfall. My mum is on these all the time and they have really helped her irritable bladder. Loads of women on the forum swear by them.

Hope you get some relief soon.....and you are supposed to take ibuprofen every four hours.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »

I know about the time lapse for medication but in severe pain one can bring it forwards by an hour .......... what I usually do is 2 then 90 mins later 1 capsule and if necessary after a further 90 mins, 2 capsules.  But I would never take paracetamol like that, I read that the latter will only help mild inflammation ........

If this treatment regime helps I will talk to my GP about Vagifem because the warnings on this prescription for Ortho-Gynest for those of us with a history of breast disease is quite scarey, each dose is 0.5mg which isn't a lot but being absorbed every night  :-\ ......... maybe I will miss the evening bath and go straight to bed .........  :thankyou:

The reason I've been in the bath is that I have been unable to hold any muscles tightly enough to stop urine leaking  :sigh: if that makes sense ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:17:41 AM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »

After the first two weeks of nightly use of Vagifem the uptake into the body is next to nothing.

You said in another post you were going to use a good moisturiser on your bits......Hope it's un scented or you could really irritate your self.

Have you any sudocrem. If it's gentle enough for a babies bum then it's fine to use.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

Not yet but feel a trip to the Pharamacy approaching  ;) - thanks for your advice!  Savlon will do for this evening or KY jelly .......

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »

I think you should only take the recommended number of tablets

"WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF AN IBUPROFEN OVERDOSE?
Sep 23, 2010 | By Rae Uddin
Ibuprofen is an over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID indicated to reduce symptoms of inflammation and pain in affected people. When used appropriately, ibuprofen may cause side effects of mild stomach upset or bowel movement changes. People who use unusually high doses of ibuprofen or take this medication more frequently than recommended may experience side effects of an ibuprofen overdose.
NAUSEA OR VOMITING
This medication may irritate the lining of the digestive tract, leading to upset stomach side effects. High levels of ibuprofen in the body may induce nausea or vomiting in affected people, Drugs.com warns. Severe intestinal damage may cause blood to leak into the digestive tract. Certain people may also experience heartburn or sensations of pain within the stomach. If this occurs, people who overdose on ibuprofen may vomit small amounts of blood and their vomit may resemble coffee grounds. People who exhibit these side effects of an ibuprofen overdose should seek prompt care from an emergency medical provider.

BLOODY STOOLS
Intestinal irritation caused by excessive amounts of ibuprofen in the body may lead to diarrhea or loose stools. People who notice blood within their stools after taking ibuprofen should consult a medical professional as soon as possible.
BREATHING DIFFICULTIES
An ibuprofen overdose may cause breathing difficulties in certain people. Affected people may experience wheezing, shortness of breath or an unusually slow breathing rate. Anyone who develops severe breathing difficulties should receive emergency medical care.
DIZZINESS, CONFUSION OR DROWSINESS
People may experience sensations of dizziness, which may cause them to appear disoriented, incoherent or confused following an ibuprofen overdose, MedlinePlus warns. These side effects may also lead to drowsiness, fatigue or lethargy in affected people.
SEIZURES
Seizures may occur as a side effect of an ibuprofen overdose. A seizure occurs when there is a momentary interruption in the normal signaling within the brain. People who experience seizures may exhibit involuntary body tremors or convulsions, confusion or loss of consciousness. If these side effects occur, affected patients should talk with a doctor as soon as possible.
TINNITUS OR HEADACHE
People who take unusually high doses of ibuprofen may experience abnormal buzzing or ringing sounds within their ears, the UMMC warns, a side effect of overdose called tinnitus. Tinnitus can be disruptive and may contribute to headache pain in certain people.
BLURRED VISION
An ibuprofen overdose may cause blurred or cloudy vision, in affected people. These vision changes may exacerbate side effects of dizziness, confusion or headache in certain people.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/256078-what-are-the-side-effects-of-an-ibuprofen-overdose/#ixzz2R2aLbLVz"

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:54:02 PM »

Have you bruised something inside?? If you need to bathe, trying aqueous in the bath as more gentle, as sometimes can develop allergies to bubble bath and products, even if used a lot.   

It could be that you have developed an over active bladder as they call it, and the more you go, the more you want to. I have had that at night before, then the anxiety sets in and that makes it worse. One night I was up every hour, but it was because I had got so worried about it. There may be something the GP could give you to calm this down if it is spasm and could be something you could go and see the out of hours GP tomorrow at hospital, if you are still suffering. X
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:06:34 PM by pixie »

Suz

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:35 AM »

Hi CLKD,

it may be worth starting Cystocalm: sachets to dilute in a glass of water. it starts working pretty quick for me. Cystitis does not always come up in tests and when coupled with VA it's awful.

VA would also b responsible for poor pelvic muscle control. So Vagifem is definite life saver.
There is also an infection called vaginosis, which needs to be tested for and treated, it can be brought on by bubble bath: swollen lips and general soreness are some of its symptoms, as well as burning and stinging.

Yogurt, plain and live may soothe your bits too temporarily.
Good luck..oh, it may b worth investing in sea salt from holland and Barrett or boots to put inside your bath and sit in it...it sorts so many things incl. bits.

Suz x

Morwenna

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »

As a lifelong sufferer of bladder problems now well under control I can vouch for the following advice:

• Keep baths to the absolute minimum - (I have one about once a month, the rest of the time I shower).
  • If you must bathe, do not 'wee' beforehand but wait until you get out of the bath. I don't know why this irritates the bladder but it does.
  • Don't use any bubble bath, perfumed soap or shower gel, wash the area with unperfumed soap and rinse in plenty of plain water.
  • Try not to wee when your bladder's not full - the more you wee, the more you will want to wee and the more irritated your bladder will become. Drink lots of water and wait until you can hold it no more before you sit on the loo. Gradually your bladder will become 'trained' to hold more urine comfortably.
  • After a wee, rinse the area around the urethra with plain warm water, I use a jug for this purpose while sitting on the loo, then pat dry with a towel. Not easy when you're out somewhere I admit but if there are paper towels I wet one and take it in with me to use and then dispose of it in a sanitary bin.
  • Don't use preparations such as Savlon or Sudocrem on the area around your urethra, they will travel up the 'tube' and irritate the inside of your bladder.
  • Try not to get constipated, straining on the loo can cause an irritable bladder.
  • Sex is a prime suspect where bladder irritation is concerned unfortunately. Always wee straight away afterwards and rinse or shower with plain water.
  • Last but not least, avoid wearing tight jeans or trousers. Going 'commando' under a skirt when at home can be a big help towards healing soreness.

VA symptoms can mimic those of cystitis and also we are more prone to UTI's when the skin of the bladder thins during menopause - I have found Ortho-Gynest pessaries to be a godsend in this respect and would highly recommend some form of topical oestrogen.

Good luck - I can totally empathise with what you're going through  ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:02:21 PM by Morwenna »

Babylon Burning

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »

I have no advice but I just hope you feel better very soon.  Take care.

Elena

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

Diprobase is a good plain moisturiser for your bits.  I wash with aqueous cream.

It's not interstitial cystitis is it?

I once had bladder problems like yours that went on for months,  even at night I'd be up all the time.  I had to take sleeping tablets to get any sleep.  After I went onto anti-depressants the whole thing stopped.  Bizarre but my GP said it wasnt the first time she'd heard that.   I think you are already on anti d;s though.

Hope you soon feel much better.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »

:thankyou: :foryou:  everyone

Currently I don't wake in the night to pee - usually when my bladder isn't irritated I am up at least once  ::)
These symptoms have come on after sex - for the last 5 times.  But they don't happen after ever sexual activity.
Didn't bath last night.  Took 2 Nurofen at 6.00 p.m. and another 2 at 10.30 and slept through till 5.00 a.m..  Weed, made a cuppa and 2 Nurofen.  2 more at 8.30 and the symptoms are background.

Taz - thank you but I had advice from a Pharamcist about the time delay when taking medication - it is OK on the occasional basis to up the doseage by 1 extra dose several times a day.  That was when I had severe facial pain following extraction, I was almost suicidal.  My stomach is OK apart from slight heartburn last evening but that went without the need for Rennies ........

This morning I am pottering.  Feel dry down there.  Irritated like it's thrush  ::) - maybe I ought to get the mirror out   :-[ : DH is away so no 'do you want any help' remarks to put up with  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:58:17 AM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 10:26:50 AM »

Did you have to use a lot of painkillers as well janm?

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

I agree that taking Nurofen has daily has to be watched, it might be better to take to take slow release long acting Ibuprofen which you can get from Boots or any supermarket.

Taking antihistamine can dry and cause irritation too as other medications can too ( anything that causes a dry mouth can dry down below also)

I have a bath every day ( never soak in and out quickly) and always use Aloe vera baby oil all over including down below, it soothes and keeps things moist.

If I have citrus fruits ( thought oddly not lemon juice) I find it can irritate my bladder and some vitamins too. I always use non perfumed wipes after going to the loo too, I am sure this helps.

I don't wear pants much and most of the time loose trousers, jeans are notorious for causing irritation and bladder problems even in young women. 

Making sure you drink water and oil the body internally with essential fatty acids e.g. fish oils and GLA is very important too. 

Stress can exacerbate bladder and VA symptoms also.

If I do get any irritation  Ortho-Gynest cream (estriol) does the trick quickly
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:05:30 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »

I know what you mean - I have problems with my prolapse if constipated which sets everything off!

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26