Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What Do You Take for Depression?  (Read 15456 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What Do You Take for Depression?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »

Thanks Honeybun! However, these results are the 1990s.  Is there anything more recent.  I think SuziQ's advice to go to speak with a Pharmacist for up-date information is wise. 

I take 5mg in the evening and if necessary to boost my low mood, 5mg at breakfast time, plus the betablocka for anxiety.  Rescue Remedy to hand if required. 

Trey

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »

Hypo thyroid causes depression and loss of hair.  Please be sure to have the three tests for thyroid T3, T4, and Tsh.

Suzi Q

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:36 AM »

Yep ladies Herbs are suppliments thats great but we all have to becareful
Some silly sods think you dont need Insulin you can get it via ERBS as the Americans say xxxxxxxxx YAYY USA XXX
That UK women a  ago was trying to deny her child the right to live chemo wise using Herbs
There nothng wrong with herbs vits minerals BUT common sence and reality has to be thught of too
Like everything things can be turned around remember Sir Humphrey
Primininister says Humprey Im going to bring back Nservice that will keep the unemployed off the street
They will get rules to guide their lives give them self respect make them strong

Yes Sir but also they will be fully trained in armed combat what happens after National service
You coyuld have fully trained combat ready Thugs on the streets OH HUmphrey?????????

Elena

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 06:38:33 AM »

Yes!  I am on citalopram and I wouldnt function without it. As CLKD says, people who know me who I HAVE let in on my problem are stunned, get the usual comments.  My best friend is the same, without her seroxat she ends up having panic attacks yet she is the most calm and capable person I know.

If you are staying in bed all week, cant be bothered to cook etc then I dont think St John's Wort will be strong enough for you.  It sounds as if you have moderate to severe depression and need to speak to your GP asap.  Have you tried taking the Goldberg depression test online?  That will give you some idea of how bad you are, we dont always realise it often takes somebody else to point it out.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »

I didn't recongise my depression.  One morning my GP phoned home and told me to see him the next day, he had driven past me whilst I was walking my dog and seen that I was becoming depressed, purely on my body language.  Now I am more brain aware  ::)   ........ also, the longer the brain has been depressed, the longer it can take for medication to kick in  ;)

Elena

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »

Wow!  Your GP sounds very impressive, bit like those ones in "Doctors" who have time to go to patients' homes and deal with all their probs before heading off to a secret liaison with a colleague  ;) ;D

Seriously:  impressed  :)

Did you get an appt for today?!!

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »

I've been browsing, in between trips to the loo ....... this Link is too long to print but worth a look-see ....... seems I was incorrect about it being banned in Europe  :-[

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050522113250.htm

www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/depression/stjohnswort_000316.htm

I grow this plant in our garden ........ as a shrub rather than a tree, known as 'rose of Sharon'
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:37:48 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »

I did the test and am 'slightly depressed' which means my medication is working  ;)

Sarai

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »

I take sertraline, an AD developed in the 1990's. I was first put on it in 1998ish for post natal depression. I was left languishing on it until I felt I really should do without it.
In 2010 I spent a year coming off it but after 6 months I was climbing the walks with anxiety and obsessions which I never had before.
I am of course back on it and back to 'normal'. I will never know if I was 'hooked' or if I really chemically need it.
My consultant believes depression is art and ravel of my Sjögren's syndrome I also have APS so who knows.
But despite everything I would still advise you to consult a GP and work out the best course for your needs.

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

I don't think anyone ever suggested that SJW was any good for anything other than mild depression.

However unlike some herbal medications it is accepted by the medical community that it does have its place as a treatment.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

Yep.  for 'low to mild' depression.

(I did get an appt. today for the other condition  ::) )

MrsB21

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »

Hi there, I've just been reading this thread, and this is me right now. I've just spent the past week in bed, I've been feeling totally washed out and have no interest in anything. I've been taking 2mg Hrt for four months and I feel miserable. I was on citalopram for a few months too but that was stopped when I started Hrt. Can ad's been taken alongside Hrt, I'm getting desperate. X

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »

Yes you can take HRT and ADs together.

Poor you there is nothing worse than feeling so down.

Maybe a trip to your GP to see how they can help.

HRT can't fix everything.

Honeyb
X

MrsB21

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 07:15:02 AM »

Thank you Hb, I'm so low right now, I'm sure my husband is sick of me. A trip to gp is on cards today if possible x

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »

"I'm sure my husband is sick of me" - that's a statement typical of those of us with depression .......... because we feel depressed and have lost interest in Life, we believe that those around us will be 'sick' of us.  Why not ask him how he feels, DH was more worried about his wife not being the 'up' person he knew and he was worried that he was unable to help. 

Get your GP to prescribe anti-depressants and take them for 8-12 months.  It can take a while before the brain begins to 'lift' and it can take longer before we realise we are beginning to feel well again  ;) and in the meantime, try NOT to beat yourself up about not being able to do stuff.  This is now.  That was then.  We need to move forwards to 'tomorrow'.   :tulips2: 
Pages: 1 [2] 3