Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT bleeds..  (Read 4757 times)

Londongirl

HRT bleeds..
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

Hi all. 

So I am post meno, periods stopped around 4 years ago.............

Started HRT a year ago and have chopped and changed a lot, probably not giving each one enough time so am back on Femoston Combi and determined to give it 6 months.  Nearly 4 months on it again and still getting bleeds....... 

I will give it another 3 months and if still getting bleeds then will try Angelique again as I did try it before and didn't have a bleed.........

I am just wondering aloud here though as these bleeds/periods really make me feel ill, totally wiped out, irritable, you name it I feel it (PMT HELL!). 

So whilst my flushes have stopped and am sleeping better, I seem to be now suffering more with periods and pmt and wonder if hrt induced periods are causing more problems then HRT is worth? 

Will continue for a bit more on Femoston and then see how it goes! 

Hope you are all well, or as well as can be expected ! 

Londongirl aka Anna

Gig

Re: HRT bleeds..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit:)

I use Oestrogel and then take progestin tablets every 8 weeks now ( was every 12 but bleeding was very heavy).

I prefer this because a) my gynae believes that keeping progestins to the minimum is safer re. cancer risks and b) I don't react well to progestins so prefer to take as little as possible.

If your combi regime is not controlling your bleeding that suggest the hormone dose is not adequate for you.  Why not discuss coming off a combi regime and trying oestrogen and progestins separately so you can control when to have a bleed?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »

Hi Londongirl - I think we may have spoken before a while back last year?

When you say Femoston combi do you mean conti ie you are on continuous progesterone, or the one where you are supposed to have a bleed?

If you are on conti then if you are post-meno it is odd to still be getting bleeds and pmt as these should really stop, and settle by 6 months. If your own hormones have stopped surging about then if you are on conti you might expect some bleeding but not pmt? If you are on conti and getting pmt all the time then it could be the progesterone that isn't agreeing with you.

If you are on cyclical HRT, then as Gig says you could try a longer cycle and separate oestro and prog - which would give you fewer bleeds and less pmt - unless you wanted to take the proprietary brand with a 3 monthly cycle (Tridestra) - although the bleeds are likely to be much greater if you wait this long.

I'm on a 2 monthly cycle which suits me fine but I know if I was on a higher dose of oestrogen (I use 50 mcg patch) the bleeds would be heavier.

What others have you tried eg have you tried transdermal oestrogen (patches or gel)? You probably said way back but I can't remember!

It's a question of what you are least prepared to put up with really!

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

jasmine5

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »

Hi Londongirl- Like you I've had struggled to find the right hrt combination over the past two years.

Recently I've finally settled on Estradot patches 50 and Utrogetan capsules 14 days out of 28.  My Gynae thought this combination might give me a bleed (2 years without) but after 2 months so far so good.

I'm feeling good and sleeping well and my heartburn symptoms have also settled down on the lower cycle of progesterone.  I did try Femoston conti at one stage but was bleeding very regularly and it really got me down. 

This combo might be worth a try?

Jas x

Londongirl

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »

Just an update ladies...............

Still getting bleeds on Femoston Conti so went back to gp for a prescription for Angelique - which I did try once before and didn't give me bleeds.............

So left precription at chemist.......... Chemist now tells me not sure if can get it as there is a "manufacturers delay"...............

I rang the "manufacturer" well infact I rang Bayer who supplied the last one I had -(still had the box) and they say there is no delay at all and are still supplying..............

The chemist in question even told me that if it doesn't come in then I must go back to gp for an alternative.................

Just to add here that a gp (a few months back) at my surgery tried to tell me she will only prescribe me Ellest Duet Conti and not what I wanted (which was Femoston Conti) as the Ellest is cheaper and hence recommended by NHS and she said firmly that the components of both of those are exactly the same. 

I knew at the time this was not true but didn't bother arguing.  I just went back and saw another GP and insisted I get the Femoston which is what I wanted at the time. 

It's led me to believe that are we just being fobbed off by some gp's? 

Why tell me Anglique is not available when it is?

Why tell me one HRT is the same as another when I know (from this wonderful site) that it isn't!!!!

Incidentally, my nicer GP, has told me that if Angelique doesn't suit me then she is stumped and won't know what to prescribe......... meaning I think she will refer me to a meno clinic..............

I think Anglique will be the one.  I was feeling rough at the time due to starting on anti depressants and blamed it on Angelique but think that Anglique (being a low dose) is what will suit me the best. 

Also, have just stopped the anti depressants........... whilst they helped with my anxiety, they just made me too tired most of the time............. and a bit too ..... unemotional..........

Thanks ladies for all your help. 

Any comments/advice always appreciated. 

Anyone on Angelique?  Any success stories! 

Hope you are all keeping well and sympton free............ well a  little anyway! 

Anna