Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: potentlly the stupidest question ever asked!  (Read 11392 times)

Jemima

potentlly the stupidest question ever asked!
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »

but im going to ask it anyway!

If you take HRT does it make your ovaries spring back into action?

there Ive asked.

I know it can make you bleed again if your periods have stopped but what is the effect on your actual fertility?

anyone know?

Jem x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: potentlly the stupidest question ever asked!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »

No query is silly here!   Sorry though, can't answer it  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »

No it doesn't.

You are replacing your own hormones with chemical ones.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »

As CLKD and Honeybun have said - no question is silly.

I don't know about HRT kicking the ovaries off again, but when I came off the pill (over 12 months ago)  I was told the level of hormones in HRT was too small to prevent pregnancy. So, perhaps it's too small to start ovaries off again?.

Then again I don't know. Not easy is it?
Whatever, don't fret

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »

I had one really good teacher at school who always told us there are no silly questions just silly answers.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »

Sounds like an intro to a new topic there HB.  :)

English Rose

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:04:13 PM »

As I understand it, the ovaries run out of eggs that can potentially ripen in readiness for ovulation/pregnancy by the menopause; so there is probably nothing much left for the synthetic oestrogen to kick-start. Also I think the doses given in HRT are much lower than the levels of oestrogen in the body that would stimulate ovulation in a younger woman.
Regards, ER x

Suz

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:06 PM »

Hi Jemima,

I am not sure about HRT stimulating anything in terms of pregnancy, but a woman is still treated as fertile for 2 years after her last natural period.

Also, there are a lot of instances where women on HRT still conceive, hence birth control needs to be in place and if conceived HRT must be stopped immediately.

Even at beginning of menopause (that's not peri) there are still eggs remaining that could potentially ovulate.

As the ladies said HRT hormonal dose is low in comparison to body's natural, however our own hormone production still continues as well...so I guess u never know.

The pill has different strength and type of hormones, the pill is given to women to override natural cycle, not to compliment.
This 'rests' our own bodies and ovaries.
There are new studies carried out especially for early menopause. They suggest that all young women should go on the pill.
I looked that up after I discovered that every lady who I know and who entered early meno seems to have that in common: not been on the pill!!! A very high coincidence if you ask me.

I also think that any question we have is worth asking and ALSO answering.

Suz x

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

Well SUZ
thats dead interesting I started at 10 went over at 36/7
Only took the pill for 3 years and  it was the mini pill at that FEMULEN Ive never forgot then Bobbles took
I tried to get my GP in UK to send it I was desperate ad in 1981 when I ran out of my 10mnths Id brought to Ozz
I found out they didnt do the MINI pill here it wasnt untill 1994 that it was available and only to women like me
Or to women who didnt want another child but if one came along could manage OK i other words middle class money

pixie

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

Hi Jemima,

I think your ovaries start to shrink gradually at menopause whether you are taking hormone replacement or not, because we have run out of eggs that  we were allocated at birth. Once we aren't reproductive any more, the ovaries still produce very small amount of oestrogen and female testosterone (androgens), well into old age. HRT is a 'hormone' supplement, so won't manufacture new eggs. ;)  Eggs need to be present to produce  amounts of oestrogen in good quantities, that in turn keeps the ovary going. I agree its all a bit of minefield and confusing at times.  We ask all sorts here and no need to worry. x

When women have IVF, it only works if you have an egg supply/or donor egg.  The woman is then given follicle stimulating hormones close to ovulation, which acts on the egg supply you already have at ovulation, to produce more eggs,  so they can then extract a good amount of eggs to fertilise in the dish.  I hope this helps to clarify? x
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:16:02 PM by pixie »

Jemima

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »

Hi Jemima,

I think your ovaries start to shrink gradually at menopause whether you are taking hormone replacement or not, because we have run out of eggs that  we were allocated at birth. Once we aren't reproductive any more, the ovaries still produce very small amount of oestrogen and female testosterone (androgens), well into old age. HRT is a 'hormone' supplement, so won't manufacture new eggs. ;)  Eggs need to be present to produce  amounts of oestrogen in good quantities, that in turn keeps the ovary going. I agree its all a bit of minefield and confusing at times.  We ask all sorts here and no need to worry. x

When women have IVF, it only works if you have an egg supply/or donor egg.  The woman is then given follicle stimulating hormones close to ovulation, which acts on the egg supply you already have at ovulation, to produce more eggs,  so they can then extract a good amount of eggs to fertilise in the dish.  I hope this helps to clarify? x

it does! thank you!

love the wink lol  ;)

Jem x