Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Worried by doctor's visit  (Read 9647 times)

Lynne888

Worried by doctor's visit
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

I'm here again worrying about something the doctor said.  I have been for my 3 monthly check up for my vagifem today. Everything OK with that and I'm so much better, been taking it 12 months now.  I'm still getting the occasional period even though I have had hormone tests that say I am in full menopause and so the GP thinks I absolutely should not be bleeding. I bled on 2 Dec and then again on 16 Feb.  When I say bled, it is like a teaspoon full of brown rubbish and that's all. When I told her this, she looked concerned and said if I had another one I had to go straight up to hospital for a biopsy. So now I'm worried. I know a couple of you answered one of my posts about still having periods aged 55 or over and I'm sure your situation was the same, just a bit of brown blood and nothing more.  The bleeding feels like a period, i.e. I get PMT and I have a migraine, all the usual symptoms I have always had. I've had a smear which was clear, I've had a scan with the probe which was clear so I'm not sure what on earth they could be looking for now.  Anyone had similar?  Thanks guys. xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worried by doctor's visit
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »

It could be a cyst/polyp?  I had one which bled on contact, my Gynae wanted to remove it but I hung fast - other issues in my Life at that time - and when I hit menopause it 'shrivelled' up, never to be a problem.  Blood tests are notoriously difficult regarding hormone levels because hormones rise and fall for years after we wish they had stopped  ::) - in fact, my Gynae refuses to do them for menopausal symptoms preferring to go on what the ladies tell him. 

spider

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

I agree with CLKD....my GP refuses to take bloods due to rises and falls in hormone levels.
I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry Lynne888....sounds to me that what you have is not a bleed but more heavy spotting.....still best get checked anyway if it continues.
Maybe you're anxious too? And this can also add to your worry making things appear worse? :o Just remember you have had a clear smear and scan!

I catastrophise (what my doc says) regularly with the anxiety side of things and its not good...
I'm sure someone else will be along soon who has experience of similar problem. ;)
Take care
Spider  :bighug:

Lynne888

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »

Thanks for your comments. I might be wrong but I don't think it's a cyst or a polyp as the scan would have picked them up maybe?? Personally I think it's just the way I am finishing my peri and I'm not particularly anxious about it, just feel a bit worried that this thing seems never ending! I hoped someone may have had similar things happen. The doctor sort of pulled a face when I said I was having brown blood and said she didn't like the sound of it. She has been brilliant and sent me for tests for everything so far. This last few months has brought with it a feeling of depression. I hate to even say the word as I'm just not a depressive sort of person but I have had a lot of down time and I struggle to join in with family stuff when I feel like it. I hope this part passes very quickly. I haven't mentioned it to my GP as I do not want any antidepressants but if anyone knows a good alternative, that would be great! 

pixie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »

Hi,

Try not to worry, but it is a good thing your GP is on the ball which is a huge bonus!  It might just be a fibroid, but no harm in getting checked if suggested. A biopsy shows more detail than a scan.  Usually GPs like to check you if you haven't bled for a year and then start bleeding again and it is vigilent to check it if blood is brownish. It may be nothing, which would reassuring to know.  My sister went all through that.  She was sent off for investigations last year, they found a mass.  They couldn't get to to do a biopsy through the cervix because it was blocking the entrance.  They then had to have a lap hysterectomy to find out whether or not she had cancer. Fortunately it was  an akward fibroid!!  ;)  I hope all is ok.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:24:21 PM by pixie »

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »

This is why Im gflad I knew nothing just went through it billy no mates
Didnt go to GP till I was 8 months in to no periods and that was only cos i was dry
You know your own body best OK xxxx

Lynne888

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »

I've actually not stopped having periods.. I go maybe 2 months sometimes but haven't stopped. Things are as they usually are just periods are much less and blood darker. Anyway, I may not get another period who knows and that will be the end of it!  If I do I know my GP will act quickly. It's just that the scan I had would have surely picked up fibroids, cysts and stuff like that?  Thanks for your comments, will update!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »

Surely full menopause is when everything stops - no more bleeding, PMT gone, no brown discharge  :-\

A polyp or cyst may not show on scanning.  Sometimes they can only be felt.  If you are still having periods then this is probably wasted blood which has not been shed.  Red bright blood is fresh, brown or darker is 'old'. Maybe your GP has never experienced passing 'old' blood  ::)

Lynne888

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

Yes this is the issue. I have had hormone tests that show I am in full menopause and should not having periods anymore, but I have never finished my periods.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

I do know that blood tests can be very wrong re whether you are post meno or not.

Some of us have been told the same as you and have gone on to have a year or more of periods.
Periods get scanty but it's still a period rather than anything else.

Good your GP is so cautious but maybe overly so.

Honeyb
X

pixie

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 02:54:10 PM »

I understood that brown blood can be caused by teetering levels of progesterone, and sometimes even infection.Most commonly at our age, menopause. But doctors shouldn't always blame everything on that. Scans don't show everything up.  For instance in my case, it showed I had a large fallopian tube which was full of water measuring 4mm, but it didn't show up any of the adhesions or ovarian cyst. I am only to glad they went in and had a look and biopsy and take out everything that wasn't normal x
Better to be safe.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:56:16 PM by pixie »