Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New on here, but old everywhere else!!  (Read 5798 times)

sandsdownunder

New on here, but old everywhere else!!
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:50:30 AM »

Hello everyone.  I live in Australia but menpause problems are universal so it doesn't matter where you live, you still feel rotten some of the time, even if the sun is shining.  I joined this site yesterday because I was having a terrible day - I couldn't stop crying and I just felt I have reached the end of everything. Rationally I know that this isn't true but emotionally I feel the best of me is done – my looks, my usefulness at home and at work, my ability to feel passionate love, my energy, my visibility…………..

Physically I feel drained and endlessly tired.  I'll be walking the dogs or walking around the supermarket and I'll just want to sit down, anywhere, just on the floor.  I feel nauseous, I ache, my head and my heart hurts, I keep thinking that maybe I've got cancer or something badly wrong with me. I would like to get fit but I can't be bothered.  I sometimes feel so hot that I think that I might just burst into flames and suffocate. I cannot sleep without sleeping tablets. I have zero libido, I don't even want to be touched even though I'd love to feel loved in a romantic way again, to feel special and beautiful and desirable. When I do make love out of a sense of duty to my husband, it hurts.

I am 55 so a late starter and haven't had a period for well over a year. I'm on estrogen patches - very low dosage because the higher dosage gave me constant menstrual cramps (but no bleeding) and I have a mirena, which I've had for 6 years so it probably needs changing.  I also take natural supplements to help the menopuase symptons.  I'm not even sure that I can be bothered to seek out any additional help - I hate going to the doctors and mine doesn't seem to think that there is much more that is available to me.

Just knowing that I am not the only one feeling like this might make me feel better!  No one wants to talk about the menopause - it's like some strange dark secret and most women I have tried to talk to about it claim that they sailed through it and didn't have any symptons!!! So clearly it's just me  ;D

It'd be lovely to know that what I've just written actually strikes a cord with others.

Billie Blaster

Re: New on here, but old everywhere else!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:18 AM »

Gidday Sandsdownunder,

Yes, as awful as menopause is, the supposed covert nature of it makes it worse.  Like it's some terrible weakness that women mustn't admit to.  Bugger that.  I have started telling people that I'm in the midst of it.  I'm hoping that you find something to help soon.  I often wonder that if we start losing progesterone from our thirties, why don't we get put on that instead of oestrogen, or as well as?  I just use a nature-identical (or whatever the term is) progesterone cream twice daily and I'm doing pretty well.

Billie Blaster
(also down under, in Aoteroa/NZ)

sandsdownunder

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:00:11 AM »

Thanks for the reply Billie and good to know that there is at least one other person "down under" who gets the big-secret-about-the-menopause thing.

meno lesley

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:19:40 AM »

Hi

I am 54 and am surrounded by people who either don't have any meno symptoms or don't talk about it. My doctor has been next to useless which i find hurtful as have never been to the doctors until the last couple of years when I seem to have been every week.

I wish there was more acknowledgement with the medical profession that some women really suffer and need some time and help.

I have juggled around with hrts and take supplements. Things do get easier so try to hang on on there. This forum is great for advice and finding out how others get through things.

Lesley - used to live in Australia

ariadne

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »

Hello Sands and welcome. Your post was so honest and descriptive of the awful way you are feeling - I really felt for you when I read it.  The "What use am I" feeling is one I can identify with.

Touch wood the meno has not been that bad for me so far but I know you will meet lots of ladies on here who will recognise those feelings and have lots of advice and sympathy for you.

ariadne xx

ann123

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »

Hi, sounds like you are having a bad time!!! Might be worth asking for some vagifem, this will give you local oestrogen down below and isn't absorbed into your blood stream. Sex really hurt me until I started on it, now it's fine, and if it doesn't hurt, you may find you enjoy it and this may help your libido.
I am on HRT patches as well as vagifem. I also had a mirena but had it taken out a few months ago as it ad been in for longer than it should have.

Ann (don't live in Aus, but have visited 5 times!!) great place