Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Is this house your......?  (Read 31482 times)

Rowan

Re: Is this house your......?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »

When my OH came to live here he brought all his stuff with him and as we live in a small house suddenly then it seemed full and we don't have much storage and no garage, he was use to his own large study and very big garage.

I am talking about loads of files, books stuff like that.

We do go to the tip regularly taking  plastic bags old electrical appliances and so on and yesterday we took two big bags of clothes and shoes to the British Heart Foundation charity shop, the house still feels full to me though, I am trying gradually to declutter.

Oldteen

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »

I think there is a difference between acquiring clutter - such as ornaments, children's drawings, photos, treasured clothes etc. - and old newspapers, carrier bags. This type of hoarding is often associated with other disorders such as social anxiety, bi-polar and OCD. I only know this because when my children were small they were friends with a lad who's mum hoarded everything. She was a well respected midwife but her home had to be seen to be believed. The whole place was full of bin bags (neatly stacked) because she couldn't bear to throw anything away. In the end their caravan on the drive and their spare car were also filled to the brim with rubbish!  She was eventually diagnosed with depression and OCD although it was too late to save the marriage unfortunately. She too would become really upset at the thought of anything being thrown out but, in all other ways, she appeared really well balanced.

Taz x

Yes my mum kept treasures like my drawings, ornaments etc, plus presents she's been given, but with hindsight I can see that she was OCD too, and yes, she was unhappy for a large part of her life. It's a long long story. I wish there had been help for her, but when I was growing up things like OCD weren't known or at least weren't talked about. Certainly I only realised that her behaviour ( constantly washing her hands for example) wasn't just "mum", it wasn't normal.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »

Even old clothes can go to charity as 'rags' for which they are paid by weight.  Some charities have PAT testing done on electrical goods so it is always worth asking rather than tipping them.  There is freegle too!

Blue

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »

We've just been clearing a relatives' house, She too had things still in boxes not used, but it wasn't just the house she had barns and sheds outside filled with stuff. We had a bonfire going for about 5 days, as most of the stuff had gone rotten.

It does go back to poverty and things 'might' be usefull. My Dear Mum had a suitcase filled with toothpaste powder jars filled with buttons, all colour co-ordinated, and the hooks off her old bras, just the hook bit cut out ;D ;D.

You never threw anything out, in case.  She always had new towels' in case' someone came to visit and new clothes, nighties etc 'in case ' she went to hospital.

Mind you I have a set of new towels, ' in case' ;D ;D ;D

honeybun

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »

Has anyone watched the Michael McIntyre sketch about man drawers and lofts.

It fits my hubby to a T.

When we had a huge clear out on one house move he got rid of so much stuff. It took him ages to build it up again but he used to get quite upset when he realised he had thrown something out.

I let him have his little hoard.....it keeps him happy.

Honeyb
X

Oldteen

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 07:49:47 AM »

We've just been clearing a relatives' house, She too had things still in boxes not used, but it wasn't just the house she had barns and sheds outside filled with stuff. We had a bonfire going for about 5 days, as most of the stuff had gone rotten.

It does go back to poverty and things 'might' be usefull. My Dear Mum had a suitcase filled with toothpaste powder jars filled with buttons, all colour co-ordinated, and the hooks off her old bras, just the hook bit cut out ;D ;D.

You never threw anything out, in case.  She always had new towels' in case' someone came to visit and new clothes, nighties etc 'in case ' she went to hospital.

Mind you I have a set of new towels, ' in case' ;D ;D ;D

My mum had three spare kettles, packs and packs of towels, flannels, curtains, Christmas cards --which she said she'd hope would last all her life so that she didn't have to buy any more -- ( true, and I must have put a good 200 in the recycling bin) plus she had kept every single one of my dad's possessions, though he had been gone 7 years. When she moved she broke her heart because there wasn't enough room for his clothes in her new flat.  :'( It's so sad when you can't let go.

Blue

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 08:56:42 AM »

Yup BOB Both had packs of spare Christmas cards.

Mind you so do I.  I buy them in Jan, cheap from the Charity shops. 2013 all bought already. ;D ;D

OMGoodness  I'm turning into my mother.    Not bad actually, she was lovely.

Oldteen

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

I am determined to be the complete opposite of my mum. I won't hoard anything, I won't get sentimental about inanimate objects and I hope, should I become a widow, that I can let go and not go to bed with my husband's pyjamas for years afterwards like my mum did when my dad had gone.

pixie

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »

Sometimes I keep old cards or photos, but don't hoard anything else or buy anything unnecessary like ornamental objects and general 'clutter'! ;)
I give most of my unwanted clothes to charity shops, and like to have a clear out every change of season.
At one time we always used to keep new clothes for 'best' but now they get worn. I don't buy a lot of clothes anyway.

Firewalker50

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »

My mum had three spare kettles, packs and packs of towels, flannels, curtains, Christmas cards --which she said she'd hope would last all her life so that she didn't have to buy any more -- ( true, and I must have put a good 200 in the recycling bin).

I recently tried to help Mum clear some space in her house after decorating and before my brother and his family come to stay.   She lives in the family home which has 3 bedrooms one of which is now a computer room / sitting room downstairs next to the livingroom.

In the cupboard alone she had 3 kettles 'just in case' yet she bought a new one recently when her's broke recently - she forgot she had the spares!   She has sheets hand or machine sewn from old sheets; bags of plastic bags, towels, blankets for the bed she never uses. 

She has a HUGE wall to wall wardrobe, a small cupboard wardrobe, 2 x double wardrobes; a downstairs outdoor jacket and shoes cupboard and a hall coatstand - COMPLETELY FULL of clothes and shoes. 
She has old picture frames which are covered in tape to hold them together "but they are okay when they are up"; toiletries that are out of date; cupboards full of dishes, glasses, gifts (even novelties), cameras, cutlery, crockery................. honestly, I cannot even begin to tell you.    There is hardly anywhere to sit.   Not as bad as the hoarders you see on TV though.   

After one full long day of trying to clear out one cupboard with all the kettles, cases, blankets and lots more, I came away with several empty cardboard boxes, an electric fire that was absolutely done and worn (had to wrench that away from her) and a couple of old towels.   I thnk that's all I managed.  And that effort caused a really huge argument and tears all round. 

She wont move house because she does not know what to do with everything.   I recognise the syndrome where they did not have much and had to make do and mend.   As I tried to explain, that was 50+ years ago and a different time.  It served its purpose then, however, it is a new age, she can buy almost anything she wants and now there is no room for that unless she disposes of some of the rest.   New strategy for new times.   Didn't work though, so I don't go to help clear out now.   She has to take responsibility for her decisions and deal with the consequences  (sounds harsh, doesn't it).  Much easier to leave her to it though.
Fx

Oldteen

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »

It seems to be a very common problem, this fear of not having something you may be in need of. My mum had to move ( that's another story) from a two bedroomed house to a bedsit. She couldn't accept that she couldn't take all her junk with her, and it WAS junk! I had to clear her house and she never really forgave me for leaving stuff behind: mouldy old handbags and shoes for example.

My mother-in-law is also a hoarder, not quite the same kind of thing but ornaments and stuff. Their house is crammed with stuff and I'm dreading the time when they pass away, as my husband will want to keep it all.

Firewalker50

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

OMG!  That would be a nightmare for me to deal with BoB.

My boyfriend/OH moved in with me and brought hoardes of 'stuff'.   It was everywhere and I could not deal with it.  Everywhere I went, his 'stuff' was there or loaded into drawers.   15 deoderants, 5 bottles of cleaning fluid etc. etc. etc.   Even my daughter said it was mad.  He just bought when he was at the shop.   He just used to put everything anywhere - or pile it in a drawerr, or throw it in the hut.

In the end, his presence in every way intruded too much on me and he moved out.  He now lives in his own place and I don't need to deal with his 'stuff'  ;D.  Nice to see him and spend time with him and nice when he goes home.   Not ideal really, but   I don't know how else to deal with it.

Even recently, in a short space of time he brought in 3 large boxes of dishwasher tablets (that I don't like) and I had nowhere to keep them.  He got them into the cupboard and then a box fell out of the cupboard and the contents went everywhere.  It drives me mad.

It will be easy to divide up my Mum's house.  My sister can have it all.

Fx

Suzi Q

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »

He sounds like the classic hoarder poor sod xxxxxxxxx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]