Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Post Menopausal Bleeding  (Read 7900 times)

Weejeannie

Post Menopausal Bleeding
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »

Hi, I am new here and I know that this has probably been asked many times before so I apologise, however I am at my wits end.
I went to my doctor last week due to having painful hip and thigh she did all the manipulation of my hip etc then asked me how old I was and when my last period was. I had a 'period' about a month ago and this was the first for 15 months. I didn't think anything of it, however the doctor looked a bit concerned and asked me to have a smear, which I did and she also did an internal exam. She said everything felt normal, including her pressing around my ovaries, this also felt normal to her.
She said the joint pain may be due to drop in oestrogen and felt this was also connected to my bleed. I am waiting for the smear result and also an appointment for a scan. My last smear was just over a year ago and was clear.
I am really terrified that this will be cancer, the doctor said she really didn't think so but I still feel so worried and fearful of the results. I know I should try not to worry but I can't help it and am imagining all sorts of aches and pains now. Is this a common thing? none of my friends knew that they should see a doctor if they bleed after menopause.

Taz2

Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »

Hi Weejeannie - you have come to the right place.  :)

I know it sounds daft saying try not to worry but there are many reasons why you could suddenly have a post menopausal bleed. The doctor is merely following strict guidelines which say that if a woman has a bleed after she has gone a year or more without then they MUST be referred for a check up just to rule out any nasty causes. This doesn't mean that your doc thinks you have cancer but just that they had no choice but to refer you.

Have a good browse around the forum - there is lots of info and help on here plus humour and compassion too.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Weejeannie

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »

Thank you Taz.

I have had a little look around and I know I am not the only one with this problem.

I just wish things would move faster, I know I have to be patient. The waiting is driving me mad.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:20 PM »

Hi Weejeannie

Welcome from me too

Just to add to what Taz says - because the guidelines say a year, that is because a high percentage of women will no longer bleed naturally (due to menstruation) after 12 months after their last period.

However of course there will be women who don't fall into this category and are still having the odd hormonal blip which can cause bleeding - this is just one of the reasons.

However as Taz says - you have to be referred, and much better to be on the safe side and investigate all women who have this after 12 months than not do anything.

I have had some post-menopausal bleeding recently which is being investigated as has another member (you will have seen I expect) but I take HRT so I do get planned bleeding some of the time!

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »

Hello Weejeannie. I don't have any experience of this myself (though who knows what tomorrow will bring ?!) but I do know that blood vessels can atrophy after menopause and cause some bleeding but it isn't considered a problem. Hope this helps.
K.

Weejeannie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies, I feel better knowing that I am not alone.
Thank you

Weejeannie

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »

Have now got my appointment for my scan, it's this Thursday, feeling a bit anxious about it. Trying very hard to not worry, what am I saying, of course I worry, it's me, the worrier !!  ???

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »

Hope it goes well weejeannie! I know - we all worry but hopefully all will be OK for you.

Hurdity x

Hannah1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 04:59:31 PM »

Wishing you all the best weejeanie - I had post menopausal bleeding too and can empathise with the worrying.  However, mine turned out to be a polyp which was dealt with and I have been fine since.  My GP told me that it is a very common complaint in menopausal women and the great majority of it turns out to be innocent and nothing serious.

Good luck and keep us posted

Hannah  x

Cazikins

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

Good luck weejeanie, I am just off to the docs with a similar problem. Bleeding after 3 1/2 years - it beggers belief.

I'm sure you'll be fine but I do know what a worry it is.

Cazi x

MINNIE

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »

Hi weejeannie, I know exactly how you feel, I had a slight bleed after 18 momnths of no periods, and I too wasn't worried, as I had all the right symptoms, cramps, feeling low etc..it was only when I spoke to my GP, everyone nagging me, that I felt the fear of God was put into me! I has copious scans, and all was fine, they said it was probably vaginal atrophy, and post menopause "wierdness"! Just after that incident, I had a ton of other symptoms, so it seemed to be the green light for full on menopause!

Keep in touch!

MINNIE XX

Weejeannie

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »

Hi All

Many thanks for all your messages.
Good news, went for scan, burst into tears as soon as I lay on the couch, the nurse and radiographer were so fantastic with me, and
I think that is why she told me there and then that all looked clear.

Feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off these very tired shoulders.

Thank you all again.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »

Great news....so pleased for you.

Now relax and enjoy the weekend.

Honeyb
X

Hannah1

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

Great news Weejeanie - the worrying  is the worst thing.  Now you can relax and enjoy life again.

Hannah