Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Helping the homeless  (Read 8713 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Helping the homeless
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

I walked by several street people in Norwich City and felt I ought to have stopped.  Then I got to thinking that maybe if we each bought a space survival blanket and gave one to those we pass by - I could go back to the Very Warm Hotel and leave them dully sitting on the street sometimes with their dog.

If I had been alone - I would have offered a cup of drink, then of course they have the problem of leaving their site to go to the loo and maybe the dog would have to be left too and perhaps their stuff would be nicked  :-\

honeybun

Re: Helping the homeless
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

A bit cynical perhaps but some of them are professionals. They make a good few pounds a day doing this. We have a Big Issue seller in the town near us who after a shift gets in his car and goes home.

I never give to the homeless preferring to give to the Salvation Army who help them. The money goes to drink and drugs.

Don't mean to sound hard but some of them do have a choice.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »

It is always unsettling to see rough-sleepers and not feel able to help but if you want to donate to the Norwich ones in particular you can do so here http://stmartinshousing.org.uk/latest-news/article/20

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »

Some are professionals.  But the Big Issue handers out have to buy the magazine and some take part in the writing and manufacture of it.  I don't want to help any one particular centre but maybe if we all help one person, regardless ......... I don't give to UK Charity I would rather give directly to the person concerned, so much money goes into Company Cars, Conferences, Pension Plans that not as much goes to the Cause ......... and Charities, as they are now run as businesses, ought to be paying high street rates too but that's a different subject.

I was talking to a lady over the weekend who has worked in Northern Africa, directly with Tribal women helping them to out-source their jewellry.  Money goes directly into the Tribe rather than via a Charity Bank Account or local arms trade.  Funds can get there directly but I have been advised that buying a drink/bun is better than giving money in the UK, so that the person is nourished and doesn't spend it on drugs etc...

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

I don't understand why you said you wanted to help these people but don't want to give to the charity which has set up in Norwich specifically to help them.  I agree that we can all help one person but from what you said I don't think you did actually think of a way to help one when you were in Norwich so this would be a way. Did you actually read the "About us" part of the link as it does give a really good idea of what they can actually do to help the homeless http://stmartinshousing.org.uk/about-st-martins-housing/   

Buying a drink or bun for someone is obviously a nice thing to do but it wont cover them up for the night or give them somewhere to have a shower or keep them safe which is what St. Martins Housing Trust does.

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »

Without going into too much detail about money and charities,  I just think it would be nice if people helped each other more generally. For example in some countries, I noticed that younger people are quick to give up their bus seats to older people. In this country, you get able bodied people sitting in the priority and disabled seats, they don't care about older people struggling and it is very annoying. It would be good if some of the long-term unemployed could do voluntary work helping others, whilst they are trying to find work. There are so many lonely old people out there in need of someone to talk to. :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:29:20 PM by pixie »

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:42 PM »

There is a huge debate to be had here but just to say re Big Issue  we know nothing of the circumstances of individuals who are selling the Big Issue but I understand they have to be homeless, or vulnerably housed (liable to become so) or marginalised in some way.

This is what I read about it:

The Big Issue recognises, however, that for many people, being housed is only the first stage in getting off the streets; therefore, The Big Issue Foundation exists to support vendors in gaining control of their lives by tackling the various issues which lead to homelessness.
The Big Issue is a not-for-profit organisation, with all ...profits passed to The Big Issue Foundation (... separate entity). The Big Issue Foundation is the registered charity arm of the organisation. It aims to underpin the company's work by tackling the underlying causes of homelessness.

That seems to me to be worthwhile.

Big Issue Sellers are self-employed and selling the magazine enables them to earn legitimate income.

Regarding charities generally, it also should be possible to determine from their annual reports and accounts the percentage of funds raised or donated which goes directly to the work of a particular charity enabling a giver to choose on this basis as well as the particular cause. It is clearly more efficient to pool resources when tackling particular problems but this usually goes alongside working with individuals. A charitable gesture like giving food or a blanket can also help the homeless and hungry but as already mentioned there are organisations which do this very well.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »

I have read the ppublished accounts for Guide Dogs for the Blind, Hearing Dogs for Deaf People and Cats Protection in the last couple of years and the amount that does not go directly to the Charity amazes me.  Why would Charities invest in property?  Stocks and Shares?  I am sure taht the public expect the monies to go to training a guide dog etc.? (I don't believe in Charities breeding their own stock either, it's actually against the edict of Hearing Dogs but that's another topic!)  If the monies obtained were used in this way many more dogs could be offered up after training to people who are visually impaired.  Some of the monies is put into housing and training facilities but in the UK we have such a NIMBY situation that it takes several years for plans to be passed for such establishments to become a reality.

So giving directly to a person on the street, as long as the gift doesn't encourage jealousy amongst other homeless people is the basic way to begin. It means that someone has stopped and passed the time of day with an apparently homeless person, we all know how  good it feels to share on here: imagine if we went ALL day without a smile or a nod in our direction  :-\  ......... I no longer need to know why a person is on the streets that is up to the Police to make sure that they are genuine or a problem for the local Charities who are involved more directly - but knowing that I can go home to the warm and they maybe are unable to do so .........

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

"I no longer need to know why a person is on the streets that is up to the Police to make sure that they are genuine or a problem for the local Charities who are involved more directly" 

Exactly! But how are the local charities who are involved directly able to help the homeless in their town if nobody supports them?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

I thought that I had heard it all, but reading a paper last night the YMCA was complaining about the lack of 'spaces' where people can sleep in safety and undercover.  Due to lack of Government Funding many beds have been lost due to less monies which means less people, particularly those with severe mental health issues, can be taken in at night.

However: the writer also stated that 'they' were fed up with other helpers handing out sleeping bags and blankets because it encouraged people to remain in doorways - 'our aim is to get people off the streets'  :-\.  Aren't we all in this together, to help or not without being at each others' throats  :bang:

bramble

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:52:15 PM »

Nothing at all pertaining with the debate but when I was working in London a few years back on a six month contract, didn't know a soul, I used to have a short conversation with the big issue seller outside m&s in Kensington high street. He was Scottish, like me, and it certainly brightened my Saturday. Most weekends he wAs the only person I talked to apart from shop assistants.

Glory days!

Big issue sellers are the only people I give money to in the street - and the Sally Army of course.

Bramble

bramble

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 11:02:23 PM »

I give to a charity which helps the homeless (Glasgow City Mission) rather than give to an individual. I would much rather give to something that is trying to get them off the streets than give individuals the means to remain on them.
Although the GCM is a Christian based charity, it helps all sorts who are in need from the homeless to prostitutes to children, to addicts etc. I feel they make every penny count.

Bramble

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 11:14:37 PM »

I will buy a sandwich/hot drink for a rough sleeper but only give money to charities - chiefly because friends I know who used to be homeless reckon this is the best thing to do!

I thought that I had heard it all, but reading a paper last night the YMCA was complaining about the lack of 'spaces' where people can sleep in safety and undercover.  Due to lack of Government Funding many beds have been lost due to less monies which means less people, particularly those with severe mental health issues, can be taken in at night.

However: the writer also stated that 'they' were fed up with other helpers handing out sleeping bags and blankets because it encouraged people to remain in doorways - 'our aim is to get people off the streets'  :-\.  Aren't we all in this together, to help or not without being at each others' throats  :bang:
It's all very well saying that giving blankets or sleeping bags encourages people to stay on the streets, but I don't believe it.  If someone doesn't want to take up a hostel place, withholding a sleeping bag from them won't force them to do it, it will just make it more likely they die of hypothermia.  Some of the hostels can be very rough places and a lot of the gentler people are too scared to go to them.  And some people suffering from claustrophobia or similar mental health issues are just not able to cope with the idea of being shut in.  Also, as the writer of that article was obviously aware, there are just not enough spaces even if everyone was able and willing to take them - so what are we supposed to do, just wait for people to freeze to death?!!!

Ms Saucy

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:11 PM »

Hi ladies.
I'm a volunteer cooking for homeless folks in Norwich via The Norwich Soup Movement......numbers of folks sleeping rough are increasing all the time.
I like many do what I can
Ms Saucy xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 01:23:08 PM »

Thanks Dorothy that was my point ………. the article did state that by 2009 it was thought that the UK was going to get everyone off the streets  :-\ but now it's becoming problematic again.

Well done Ms Saucy - I found out this week that there has been a Food Bank in our local town since 2012.  I will wait until New Year B4 adding anything to the box in the various Supermarkets ……. most of what they are requesting isn't actually healthy  :(

Pages: [1] 2 3