Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Endo during menopause  (Read 2855 times)

Hot Momma

Endo during menopause
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »

Hi everyone,
I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago and they left my ovaries in. I had it due to endometriosis and a month after my op I started with the pain again. After investigation they discovered endo had still managed to stick to my ovaries.  They put me on the pill for six months without a break and it seemed to kill it off.  Fast forward 10 years (with no problems) and I started the menopause and I started taking HRT, which made me feel amazing for a few weeks and then the dreaded endo pain started.  After checking up I discovered that I should not have been taking that type of HRT because it could start the endo off again (which it had).  It was stopped and after a few months it seemed to settle. I am now in the throws of menopause and cannot take anything, but every few weeks Im suffering from a really horrid pain in my lower right abdo and lower back (almost in my groin). Ive been to my doctor and he had a good feel around, says theres no nasty lumps or bumps and he seemed to think it could be a weakness in my abdo wall (possible future hernia) and has said to try not to lift anything, take pain killers and rest it when it happens!  Its almost a deep burning pain, lasting approx 24-48 hours and is helped by pain killers, but it seems to be happening every 3 to 4 weeks??????? Can being in the menopause cause endo to rear its ugly head due to all the hormone changes etc????
Thanks for your help
Mel  :)

Taz2

Re: Endo during menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:52:19 PM »

Hi Hot Momma - have you had a look at this forum? http://endometriosis-uk.healthunlocked.com/  I haven't had a good look around it but you may find some info on there.

I would think that HRT would increase endo much as it increases fibroids. It sounds really miserable for you and I hope you get some relief soon.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »

How young can this condition appear?

Busylizzie

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »

Hi HotMomma,
 I never had endo diagnosed but it was mentioned every time I had pain like you described, they also mentioned a hernia when I saw the gynae dept but nothing ever was found.  I actually think the lower rt abdo pain was my ovary as I had a mirena coil at that time and kept getting ovarian cysts which the gynaes said was not due to the Mirena, however when it was removed I never got another that caused pain.  However just to throw you a screw ball I was also having trouble with my Rt Hip, osteoarthritis, it did cause severe burning pain in my groin area every month.  I suspect the wild hormonal swings affect all the pelvic ligaments like in pregnancy.  I was advised by gynae to do Kegel pelvic floor exercises which in themselves are good  but never solved the burning pain.  After the Mirena came out the pain seemed to shift directly from groin to hip socket.  My pelvis ended up really tilted as I compensated for my bad hip.  Just a thought anyway and hope you find some answers soon, that burning is not nice.