Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Film - Has anyone seen Les Miserables?  (Read 7083 times)

Firewalker50

Film - Has anyone seen Les Miserables?
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »

Just wondered if anyone has been to see the film.
I have seen the stage production 3 times (twice original version and once new version).

I saw the film on Saturday night and thought it was outstanding - a masterpiece.
At the end, the whole cinema was silent and motionless.
I wanted to applaud but felt a bit silly.

I thought Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway were absolutely outstanding, worthy of awards.
Found out this morning, HJ got Best Actor and AH got best supporting actress.
So very well deserved.

Fx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Film - Has anyone seen Les Miserables?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

Well from what I've seen Hugh Jackman can't sing in tune  :o so I have been very put off from going to the film.

I have followed this story from the outset all those years ago and can practically sing every word  ;D.

Will probably wait until it comes out on DVD  ;)

We went to see a school's production about 10 years ago, it was FabULous  :-*

changesbabe

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »

I saw it on fri firewalker - I loved it. There were a few moments where I thought I was going to sob uncontrollably in the cinema but thankfully did not. I thought the movie brought the story alive visually. The whole cinema erupted into spontaneous applause at the end. I was exhausted but elated when I came out the cinema. It's mon now and I am still singing along in my head to the songs. I thought the battle scenes were great too in a way that the theatre could not portray.

There have been many bad reviews of the movie just as there was when the musical first came out. However despite the poor reviews the public love this musical. Anne Hathaway, Hugh jackman, Russell Crowe were fab - as was the little boy. A great night out and guess what - am going back on wed to see it again!!

I saw 'the impossible' too recently - this was also fab! Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »

Can you listen closely to see if Hugh actually sings any notes in tune ........ then I might be tempted  ;)

changesbabe

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »

Hugh jackman was fab. I have to say I was a bit apprehensive when he was just about to sing 'bring him home' as I wasn't convinced he could pull it off.  He did a fab job. It wasn't the best performance I have ever heard of that song but he did a great job! I didnt cringe when he was singing it - Unlike pierce brosnan  in mamma Mia who killed every song he tackled! Xxx

Firewalker50

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »

I agree with you H&S.  The audience almost - wanted to but did not lol - burst into spontaneous applause.  I, too, was emotionally drained but alive when I came out.

If anything, I thought Russell Crowe struggled the most with the singing but he was not bad.
I thought Hugh Jackman did a fantastic job.  I was rating his overall performance from beginning to end.   Same with Anne Hathaway.

I also saw The Impossible recently and The Life of Pi.  Neither of them moved me like Les Mis.
I think because I knew the story and ending of The Impossible it influence my emotional response to it.  Although I did think they captured the reality of the effects under water or being swept away fantastically well - a bird's eye view of it in the news does not capture the vicious dangers underwater.

I just love the cinema.  Where else can you see a multi million pound production for around £10!
My nephew is studying film and media at university so I also like speaking with him about the filming to get another perspective of it.

Fx

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

I'd love to see it, but hubby loathes musicals. Maybe I can persuade a friend to join me.

Firewalker50

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »

Rent a friend if you have to Cubagirl  :rofl:
Totally worth it (well I think so).

Fx

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:31 PM »

If only daughter lived up here, she'd go.  She saw it the West End many years ago during a school trip and totally raved about it.

As for renting a friend, that should be relatively easy.  Must text her & see.  ;D

Firewalker50

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »

Hi H&S.  Hope you enjoy the second viewing as much.  Let me know.
My friend wants to go, so looks like I am going back too.

Fx

changesbabe

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »

Not going to manage now till thurs firewalker as a lot of the cinemas are sold out. Really can't wait to go back. Think hubby wants to see it again too. Xxx

gilaray

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

I was eagerly anticipating this film as I love the musical and have seen it 3 times
I liked the film though I cant say I was blown away by it.
For the me Les Mis is about the music and I prefer the songs performed by professional vocalists rather than actors who can hold a tune. I missed the soaring notes, the depth of sound that sends a shvier down your spine
My favourite part was Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as the Thenadiers, they were great as was the girl who played Eponine though I believe she is first and foremost a singer.

changesbabe

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »

Aw that's a shame gilary as I know you were looking forward to it.  The girl who plays eponine is the girl who I think is on broadway just now. She was excellent.

Hope your hubby is continuing to improve. Xxx

Firewalker50

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »

Hi Gilaray

I do understand what you were referring too.  I love the chills and goosebumps that I get at the theatre with professional singers.   I liked what the film gave that the theatre did not - so the balance and outcome was great for me personally.

I loved the Thenadiers and also Eponine too.  The Thenadiers always get a great applause in the Theatre too :-).

I really thought the main parts were superbly cast for the film.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »

Anyone?
Pages: [1] 2