Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I am ashamed of the UK!  (Read 2509 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
I am ashamed of the UK!
« on: February 09, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »

RUBBISH  :rant:

I have travelled over 1,000 miles in 10 days.  Everywhere we have been there is rubbish along grass verges, in lay-bys, behind supermarkets, in bus shelters  :'(.  What's to be done?   :kick:

That's around parts of Norfolk and across Northamptonshire.  Bugga ..........  :-\

It is IMHO, laziness.  A culture of someone else will pick it up. Even on collection days, people walk by rubbish in the gutter and don't pick it into the bins.  I believe it's worse since we had regular Council bin collections, because it's out of sight ...... gone.  Whereas when I was a kid everyone in the countryside had a composting system; garden fire regularly or a fire in the hearth.  Very little plastics so everything could be burnt.  [? burned ? ].  Light cardboard or newspapers were used to start the fire in the morning, newspapers were behind the door in the outside loo  :o and Mum had nappy buckets with liners and Terry towelling being hung on the line to blow.  So nowt into the bin.

No 'bob a job' which meant that once a year Scouts would pick up.  Bottles were collected from the doorstep to be re-filled, i.e. milk, pop, beer .......

There seems to be very little pride in our country anymore  :(

Woodlands

Re: I am ashamed of the UK!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:11:14 PM »

Hello CKLD.
I totally agree, recently travelled to Sheffield and I felt heartbroken and the state of the kerbside  verges, woodland areas... So much rubbish tosted away or flytipping.
However i do live in Central Norwich in Norfolk County and its a lot less around than the North.
Woodlands

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »

I hate it too.  I started a little group of litterpickers in our village several years ago and we used to meet once a month on a Sunday morning.  From a village of a couple of thousand people just 5 other people came forward to volunteer.  it ran for about two years and we picked up SO much litter.

I help every so often with a beach clean as our beaches are so beautiful.  My son cycles a lot and last week he passed a field gateway and he said there were loads of bin liners and Xmas sacks, kids toys, ironing board etc all just thrown there.  the farmer has to pick up the tab for clearing that as it's not on public land. 

a friend wanted me to go on hols to India with her a while ago but I knew the miles and miles of litterbergs in their rivers would upset me so I chose not to go. The air pollution out there is awful too. Ai am with you .... I just hate litter anywhere.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »

No one cares anymore! Full stop!
Even the bin men don't care, they go ahead and drive off after they've emptied the bins, and don't pick up what they've dropped.
They dropped someone's rancid chicken fillets once outside our house, and the carrier bag they were in, all bust open, ......we had to go and pick up, the smell was horrendous.
Then we swilled all the crap down the drain.....!!!

Annika

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:19 PM »

Have to agree every time i come home to stay with my mum (Northampton) I notice how bad its getting. She went shopping in Tesco and all in the trees/bushes outside it looked like a bin lorry had overturned. Thing is why doesn't the manager get some of the workers out there its in front of the shop to pick it up? The High street looked equally as bad and with mounds of dog poo outside the butchers, it made me angry because all they had to do was a bucket of soapy water and rinse it into the gutter. You would think a business would want to look clean and presentable. Oh well don't get me started,lol  ::)

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »

On our walk today in the middle of no where my husband filled an animal feed bag of rubbish ( flies the bag pheasant grain one). He picks rubbish up on most of his dog walks daily, flipping balloons let off especially.

A couple of weeks ago we took our granddaughter litter picking, it is a disgrace.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:37:44 PM »

That's your up and coming generation I'm afraid,no concern for anyone but themselves,I've seen teens in their car eating McDonald's and throwing all the packaging out the window before driving off,why'there were bins everywhere.we live on a country road between two towns and the number of times I've had to pick bottles and packaging out of my garden is unbelievable 😡

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »

Could we begin a petition to get 10,000 ticks to present to the Government  :-\

Our bin men are wonderful,  :-* - friendly, wave when they go by, chatty - I haven't yet given them a New Year box of biscuits because we haven't been shopping but they will get something.  We have 3 lorries though  :-\  ::).

In the late 1980s I had a  :scottie: - every morning around 8.30 I would fill 2 plastic supermarket carriers as she was chasing across the public footpaths - it was as though someone was following us and tipping rubbish along the route  >:( 'cos there would be more each day.  One man gave himself away several months after I stopped picking up by mentioning it to me  :o - not someone I knew, nor did he own a dog  :-\  :neutral: - he had no need to make a comment but the mystery became solved.  I reported him to the Parish Council  ;).  He must have been following to know that I was no longer picking up.

Rubbish still gets strewn along those footpaths but I don't walk them often. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 02:46:15 PM »

We live not far from a car park and often Early in the morning you can see where 4 people have sat in a car, ate their takeaway food and drinks, opened their doors and just left their rubbish on the ground.  4 piles of polystyrene food containers, 4 drinks cans and leftover food.  The bin is about 10 steps away!!

I used to pick up litter on my dog walks and often there was Macdonalds wrappers.  Our nearest Macdonalds is over 20 miles away so work that out!

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »

Infuriating penny.whats the problem with taking rubbish home?imagine if we all just threw our litter down on the street?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »

Most people seem to .......... our local man who picked up was threatened by the Council.  Apparently street litter becomes Business Waste so he would have been liable for those charges and also could be fined by using his bin!  So he stopped picking up .........

Countrygirl

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 03:55:21 PM »

yesterday we went to the nearest main town as my dad was taken into hospital and as we passed lay-bys and pull ins you could see the amount of litter that had literally been thrown out of cars and left there. It was as bad in the countryside areas as it was in the built up areas. It's just so sad I've always taken my rubbish home or used the bins x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »

How is your Dad?

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »

Emergency then?

At least our NHS does it's BEST  :foryou: