Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Changing from gel to patch....  (Read 8451 times)

Liz

Changing from gel to patch....
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »

My Doctor is concerned I'm not absorbing the gel evenly so is trying me on Estradot 75 patches for a month to see how I get on.  I've been having a return of symptoms/low mood etc and a bleed very early, ie, 2/3 weeks after the previous one.  I've still got 3 bottles gel left though.  Not sure whether to try the patches now or wait until the gel is gone.

Has anyone had success/experience in changing from gel to patches?  I'm a bit worried because when I tried the patches a couple of years ago, I found they didn't stick very well, but Dr has advised me to try putting them on my upper arm instead of thigh/buttock.

I'm lucky that I've got a very clued-up and helpful GP and she is happy for me to remain on HRT for as long as I need to.

honeybun

Re: Changing from gel to patch....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »

Never ever put them above the waist. Every patient information leaflet says not too. No where near your breasts.

I think that quite a few of our members have successfully changed from gel to patch.

Not sure there is any point in using up the gel as its not working properly. You may as well start your patches now.

Honeyb
x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »

Oh, that's a pain.  I tried them below the waist before and they came off as I walk a lot.  I was wondering whether to just increase the gel but GP thinks I'm not absorbing it.

Liz

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »

Oh drat! Just remembered that when I last tried the patches they irritated my skin and left a red rash!  Luckily not got the prescription yet and have just rung the Dr to leave a message asking if I should therefore increase the gel instead.......... Wish I'd remembered that during the consultation!  ::)

Suzyq

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »

I changed from gel to patches and it has been great! I did initially have some irritation at the site but over time that stopped. I also walk 5-6 miles most days in very humid weather in the summer and they (estradot) stick great! I also had problems absorbing gel and was basically having to reapply every 4-6 hours - it was a nightmare ...

Liz

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »

Mm... not sure what to do, either increase the gel or try the patch again. 

Liz

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »

Lovely GP has just rung me back..... she is suggesting I try 3 doses gel for now and see how I get on. 

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »

I changed from gel to Estradot as I wasn't absorbing gel enough. I'd been on gel for some considerable time.  Patches were so much better & stuck well! They survived holidays abroad, in & out the pool. You must put on before moisturising though. Never had any irritation from them either.

Salad

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »

Huge success (so far :) ) changing from gel to patch.

Feel more balanced/consistent.

Evorel did leave red itchy skin at times but that was tolerable to be feeling better. Now using Femseven and no skin reaction at all - might be due to them not being as sticky.

Hope you find something to suit x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »

With patches to avoid irritation I make sure even if it's itchy never ever to scratch so that it doesn't set up an itchy rash. Also to peel off the old one very very slowly to minimise further irritation. Always use alternate bum cheeks. Never remove the marks from the old patch as this can cause abrasive action on the skin and add to irritation. Although I do have a sensitive skin and allergic to all sorts of things and perfumes etc, I have managed to use patches successfully for over 8 years by being very careful about how I use them. Oh and also - if using oestrogen only, use Estradot which are very very small so a very small area to irritate and means you can find new areas each week, very easily!  :)

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »

For those ladies not absorbing the gel, how do you apply it. I rub mine in deeply and slowly rotating inner calfs and thighs and always at night then into bed so nice and warm and it soaks right in....never had any problems in that respect, it works really well.... :)