Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Spiders  (Read 51050 times)

honeybun

Re: Spiders
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »

They are not protected up here. We now have hawks being flown along the sea front. They are evil buggers to be honest and getting bolder by the year.
It's also an offence to feed them from the prom in an effort to send them back to sea. Seems to be working quite well.

All very humane but if one comes near me I clout it with my handbag  ;D

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »

I doubt any of our gulls have ever seen the sea! Don't reckon they'd know what to do with a fish unless it was in batter  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »

I meant to post this a few weeks ago  ::) - meno-brain strikes again!

RSPB web-site -

"All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985.

"This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland and Northern Ireland, recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. In Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is also illegal to prevent birds from accessing their nest, and in Northern Ireland, it is illegal to disturb any nesting bird. In addition, the Mediterranean gull is protected under Schedule 1 of both Acts making it illegal to intentionally or recklessly disturb the birds at or close to their nest or to disturb their dependent young.  … "

Spiders are appearing - must be Autumn then: anyone scared?

honeybun

« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »

They are still flying Hawks around the seafront.
The gulls really are a menace so anything to send them off is good by me.

They should be out at sea and not raiding bins and pinching ice creams.

Honeybun
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »

My daughter is phobic about spiders. Many a time I have had to go to her rescue, yet she has just send me a picture of her holding a tarantula! Now I couldn't do that. My response was that it was a plastic one or it wasn't her, but apparently it was her and it was a real one. I'm waiting to hear how she managed to hold it.

We are being over run by wood pigeons at home and they are a menace in such large numbers. Plenty of poop! Yuck! :( And very noisy early in the morning.

CLKD

« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »

Why not raid bins and pinch human food, they are opportunists  ;D ……… humans do the same  ;)

We are beginning to see those lovely Autumn spiders in the garden …….

purplenanny

« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »

Yep, put my head straight through one of their webs today while gardening. :o made me feel quite ill ;D
They make beautiful webs and  are fascinating to watch, but preferably not that close!

PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2015, 10:35:17 PM »

May I giggle  ;) ………. there are several desensitisation programmes, I believe that London Zoo hold tarantula days  :-\ where people pay to get close up and personal with large spiders.  Not my idea of fun though I don't mind those in our garden or house.  I helped one out of the bath this evening, silly critter decided to fall in as I began running the water  ::) ……. no idea where she is now though ……..

CLKD

« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »

Are spiders insects ?

"Pest management consultant Clive Boase said conditions are ideal for the spiders over the coming weeks, but says their numbers are unknown.

Clive said: “Nobody has any idea how many false widows there are – they are a small insect, so there potentially could be hundreds of thousands or even millions. . "

I thought that insects have six legs?

Limpy

« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »

Are spiders insects ?

Don't know and don't care.
All I know for certain is I don't like them much when 1 runs over my head when I'm just nodding off  ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:03:17 PM by Limpy »

ellie

« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »

Oh YUCK! Gone all shivery now 😱

honeybun

« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »

When we were on holiday a few weeks ago we had a very large unwelcome visitor ....a huge spider. Hubby just stamped on it as it scuttled past him. It was enormous.....very glad it was dispatched.....they make me shudder.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »

Insects have 6 legs ………. spiders 8.  TAZ!

Dulciana

« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »

Yep, put my head straight through one of their webs today while gardening. :o made me feel quite ill ;D  They make beautiful webs and  are fascinating to watch, but preferably not that close!  PN x x 

I do agree, PN - their webs are beautiful but I don't think I'd like to put my head through one either!!
D.

CLKD

« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

Our spiders build webs gob height - as I'm walking in the garden first thing I find my chin hits every one  :D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]