Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aching arms  (Read 13442 times)

Tea and Toast

Aching arms
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »

Does anybody else suffer from aching arms? The muscles in the top of my arms feel so tired it is an effort to lift anything. it comes on suddenly and I almost cannot hold anything. If feels a bit like when you have been exercising and you are on the last rep and feel like you can't hardly finish!
I want to drop any bag I am holding as it feels just too hard like I'm being pushed to my limit- like all the strength had drained out of them.
I couldn't hardly make dinner yesterday and got quite upset, imagining all the awful thing it could be!
I was wondering if this is a meno symptom as I have just had new merina coil and am on Sandrena gel. I did have a few flushes return yesterday too and felt more sensitive than usual.
Any comments would be welcome as I am feeling confused and worried about this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Aching arms
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »

It never ends does it  >:( but it might be a type of crashing fatigue located in the arm muscles.  After all lifting above our heads can be tiring at the best of times, on many occasions I've looked at stuff on the top shelf of shops and then can't be bothered to risk that achyness !

rosie c

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »

All the time. Like the worse... is pegging the washing out, and I can barely lift my arms up. Its like they have gone to jelly. Same with my legs as well. Feel like I am lifting a tonne weight when I walk, particularly up hill. I was worried to start with butjust got kinda used to it now :-\

flushtered

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »

It can be a sign of anaemia, might be worth getting your blood checked?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »

My thighs don't seem to have any stamina these days but because of the wet weather I haven't exercised as often as I ought to have done  >:( so went for a walk yesterday and 2 today  :o ......... yep, hanging out washing on the line takes twice as long as it used to do!

Tea and Toast

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »

Thanks  for your replies.  :thankyou:
Good suggestion Flushtered- I will get my iron checked. I do get crashing fatigue sometimes CLKD so it could be related I guess. It does feel the same but in one place rather than all over.
It has helped to read about your experiences-I am glad I am to the only one! Rosie - thanks for your response too! It does seem there's always something to get through or worry about!!!!
CLKD- I avoid looking at the top shelves in some shops!!!!!  :rofl:

lesley998

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »

Poor you - I sympathise.  This is the reason I came to this site in the first place...my shoulders and arms were just terribly sore  - beyond what I thought hormones could do - and I got very anxious about it to, especially being told by the male GP it had nothing to do with menopause.    Eventually a very knowledeable, older female Nurse Practitioner diagnosed me when I had my smear appointment with menopausal tendonitis.  She did her thesis on it years ago!    I thought the pain was in my joints...but when I went to a new female doc she told me there are many manifestations of oestrogen depletion in the soft tissues - it affects tendons, muscles and bone and it HURTS.  It is a horrible pain, unlike anything I have experienced.  I have had it now for three months.  It started off as you describe, like an ache..sometimes I felt like my arms had turned to stone.   But for me it also moved into being horribly sore when I made certain arm movements - wrapping a towel round me, un- hooking my bra etc.    Then I began feeling it in my hips.    before I was diagnosed I thought I had all sorts of awful progressive diseases, the anxiety was the worst thing!   Now I know it is yet another symptom of meno I can handle it, but,  I decided to take HRT as I could not deal with the pain and feeling and looking 90 years old! 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:22:06 PM by lesley998 »

Tea and Toast

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »

Thanks Lesley for sharing your experience. It sounds like you had an awful time until you were fortunate enough to meet that nurse practioner. I think you are right the worry is worse sometimes! I think I panicked but thinking about it I have had some flushes return too so maybe my estrogen is not quite settled (or may not be strong enough). All seems better today so I will keep an eye on it.
Thanks again for your comments - it sounds like HRT has been helpful to you?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »

Am I missing something on the Top Shelf then  ;D  ::)

lesley998

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »

Tea...I've only been on it two weeks! I do feel better....didn't realise just how miserable, emotional and weepy I was....I feel much brighter.   But the pain is still there.  Big time. Apparently tendons can take a long time to heal. It was explained to me that without oestrogen to keep them supple, tendons and muscles can sort of dry out and the tiny fibres snap and fray.  This is how it feels....like a ripping sensation.  I cut my Achilles tendon years ago and it took three years to fully heal.  But I am glad I made the decision to take HRT.  I do feel much better on it, in only a couple of weeks. X

rosie c

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »

Lesley 998... same....My gp describes oestrogen as" WD40", and when you are menopausal this lubricant starts to wane. She said that if you dont exercise and try to stay fit you will seize up. Makes sense, but really hard to exercise when you are in pain. Im still waiting for my hrt to take the  edge off the pain, but feel loads better emotionally at the mo. Been on it couple of months now. Good luk with it Lesley 998. x

Smokey

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »

I have this too, especially when I'm blowdrying my hair, it makes me feel so exhausted, even using straighteners, hanging clothes out and especially folding sheets, I also had a spell of this when I was about 30 and went to doctors about it and can't believe his response he said I should go down the gym as I needed more excercise !  I said so two kids under five a dog two cats and nearly full time work and 4 bed house to clean wasn't then!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »

The other issue the 2 Mums suffered from at 'our' age was frozen shoulder .......

Smokey - his face was  ?  ::)

Smokey

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »

Typical man CLKD

I wish I hadn't posted today as now my arms neck and shoulders have been aching since,
And I've had an easy day today, hubby away tonight no tea and no mess to clear up!

Just thought maybe it was from holding my iPad up or at strange angle

Tootsie78

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 07:52:23 PM »

Wow - yet again, I find another symptom causing me anxiety is a potential menopausal symptom... a GP recommended this site back in April and since then I have found almost every random new feeling/experience to have been felt by others. Thank you all so much!
Aching arms hanging out the washing...who’d have thought it!?
Pages: [1] 2