Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Calling all dog owners!  (Read 20259 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Calling all dog owners!
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »

Small poodles or the Standards?  Standards were bred as Gun-dogs, I had a yearning to work one a few years ago.  But not the energy  ::).

I have a hankering for a pair of whippets ..........  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »

I think she meant the little ones CLKD.

I have a friend who has two standards. Huge strong things who take a lot of exercise.

Whippets always look cold to me. How about a rescue greyhound.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »

Nope.  DH won't consider another dog.  Our life-style right now doesn't accommodate pets anyway.  Whippets are for rabbits so need to be slim  ;)

Standard Poodles should not be strong, they should be worked on hand signals and whistles as they are gun dogs.  They need mental stimulus as well as physical exercise.  Also they don't moult. The first time I blew a stop whistle my cocker turned round and sat, I thought 'cracked it' - it was another 3 months before she did it again  ;D - I think the sudden noise shocked her  ::)

I had dogs in the house for 21 years so we are having a break!

babypink2807

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »

Funnily enough my friend has two Yorkies, the little female is a snappy little thing and the male barks, growls and jumps up.  Because of the size of them its ok, but I got a nip from the female and it hurt but I didn't do anything about it. 

Having a dog is a huge commitment, I got my girl as a companion, just so happened she took to flyball and agility.  I enjoyed it but I was breaking as I was running a home, working full time and looking after a dog and horse, it became too much and with her ending up dog aggressive it became too much.

Now we have lots of walks, kisses and cuddles and outdoors things to do at the stables and summer is brilliant we stay out until 9pm.

I have however decided she wil be my last dog, I lost Jaffa my cat 18 months ago and he was just divine, I miss him so much but never replaced its impossible.  My horse, he will be the last too

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

We have altered our complete life-style since we became pet-less.  It seemed wrong to me to go places that wouldn't allow dogs  :'( and there are still some walks that I haven't been on, too many memories .........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]