Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: being driven mad by burning urethra - ovestin not working???  (Read 8303 times)

gilaray

being driven mad by burning urethra - ovestin not working???
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »

I have been using ovestin for two weeks now. I am perplexed as to why I have days where I feel perfectly calm inside and the next day wham back to the awful burning uncomfortable feeling. It is driving me insane
Unfortunately i am going on holiday next week but when i get back I am going to see the gyne as I feel I need to be checked out
It is making me miserable and making me lose my appetite, I am also paranoid that there is something else going on
Shouldnt the ovestin have worked by now??

losttheplot

Re: being driven mad by burning urethra - ovestin not working???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

I think it can take 3 or 4 months to settle things. I have a theory that my urethera gets worse when i'm stressed, and you are going on holiday next week and the last thing you need is a flare up- so your body gives you one. Sorry not much help really  :(

catweazle

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »

It might take a bit longer than 2 weeks Gilaray. Have you been using it every night? You might need to do an extra week of nightly dosing before going onto the twice a week regime.  ???

The fact that you are having good days shows that it is working.
Those of us that have been using vaginal oestrogen for a while will tell you that you can still get iffy days now and again. Just ask SuziQ!

It's hard to be patient when you are suffering isn't it.  :(
Remember - on full HRT they tell you to give it 3 months to see whether it works for you so two weeks of using vaginal oestrogen is not long to tell whether or not it's going to sort out your VA.

Try and relax and go with the flow. Enjoy your holiday. (Could it be a bit of stress in the build up to your hols that's making you more sensitive to your VA? I know others have reported that stress can exacerbate symptoms).

Catweazle x

gilaray

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »

I was stressed today as my son was taken in to hospital last night as they thought he may have had a torsion of the testis. he was nil by mouth from midnight and he didnt have his scan until 4.30 today. it isnt a torsion just an infection. I had the most awful day today with discomfort and felt miserable as sin

catweazle

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

Oh dear Gilaray you poor thing  :hug: :hug: :hug:

No wonder you feel stressed. Glad to hear your son's going to be ok.
Hope tomorrow's a better day for you.  :foryou:

Catweazle x

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »

OK p[et dont fret
IM a marty even thugh I cant spell it to my fanny
Any worries ZING anything scarey ZING any rows ZING
So use the Ovestin every other day or as GP said for a month if after that
It isnt giving you much releif then it may not be for you
You may need vagifem OK but give it time and drink loads of water
NOT CRANNBERRY ITSSSS BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD to acidic
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gilaray

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »

So got myself in a right state last week. Went back to the doctor on friday as i was convinced I needed to be referred,
She reassured me and siad she didnt think this was necessary as she was sure it was VA
She told me to stay on the ovestin for another week (3 weeks in total) then move to twice a week. She also gave me some painkillers that target the fanny area should I need them
And guess what, I immediately started to feel better. I have not had any burning for the past 3 days and if I do get a twinge I am not focusing on it too much
I am sure that a lot of what I was experiencing was made worse by my paranoia. It is so difficult to control your thoughts

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
OH the minds a bloody scarey place well done you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tingly

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »

I know this is an old post but am curious to know which painkillers target the vaginal area?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »

Hi gilaray
I've suffered on and off  for years with that horrible burning of the urethra - torture at times - so I can really feel for you.  I've been on full HRT on and off since having prem meno in my 30s and though I mentioned this issue with various doctors none of them linked it to VA!!!!! Even on full HRT I get the burning regularly and, like you, particularly through stress times. Now 57 I'm coming off HRT again to see what happens but this time I've got vagifem to try.
I've used Multi-gyn actigel for years which seems to be the only thing that helps.  I use a small amount every night before bed and use extra if I get a flair up.
You mention special painkillers - I'd love to know what they are as pain killers never help my discomfort.  I definitely find sticking to water is good - anything acidic makes things much worse.
Hope your ovestin works.  Keep us posted. Good luck 
DG x

Suzi Q

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:08 AM »

wonder if they could be antideprssants they can help the Vaginal area?
Not even panadols help when I get my burning?

scriv

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »

Maybe you could try Vagifem?

Tingly

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »

Right, i dont know whether or not this is the  poster meant by painkiller targeted for the giblets, but have been googling and found this name
phenazopyridine.
Praps this is it. If so woukd be grateful if anyone has had any experience?