Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: constipation  (Read 24058 times)

Eddie

Re: constipation
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »

Lactulose should work, but it does take a few doses, loads of water with it. Fybrogel will also help, both pretty gentle but perhaps taken together will be more effective. I use Manevac granules, they work a treat for me.
Eddie. x

Eddie

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »

I know it seems obvious but are you using a hot water bottle?
Eddie.x

Eddie

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »

I always find heat helps. I don't think I've had an impacted bowl though. Not sure how to tell.
Are you any better today?

Smokey

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »

Hi

I've just had 3 days constipation even though I ve had loads of water and fruit, I missed one day with no fruit and it mucked me right up again.

Last night I felt so bloated and ill but I took Dulcobalance 2 sachets  before bed and hay Preston this morning I went and not to painful as it softens stools.

I went shopping yesterday and was in supermarket for about an hour, when I got to checkout I could of collapsed I felt so exhausted, and with the constipation I'm thinking I need to ring doc again to get thyroid antibodies tested as 25mg thyroxin just seems to low a dose if I don't do anything at all I feel a bit better, but my energy level is just not right, does anyone know if adrenal glands could be effected and what sort of test they do for it?

I thought life was meant to start at 40 not go down hill!

So far I've had in the last two years, hiatus hernia, parathyroid op, menopause MS, constipation , silent migraine, and now under active thyroid.

Susan di I read somewhere that you also have Ms?  Are you okwith it?
If you don't feel comfortable discussing this, don't worry I will understand.

I hope you feel better soon everyone

Smokey

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »

Hi mrs purple

Have been taking the 25mg since 26th of may, when I was on holiday for a week in Cyprus in the first week of July I felt so much better and thought they must of started working but now think it was probably due to being in the sun so much and doing nothing except walking and sunbathing.

My doctor did say they may take a while to work and the recovery may be very gradual but I think this is now getting beyond gradual.

She did also agree to test my antibodies if there wasnt any improvement  after taking them seveal months.

I will be phoning her on Monday morning,as I simply cannot remain like this as it's effecting my quality of life and I'm thinking that I have had this under active thyroid right from the start back 18months ago and because it was borderline I was never treated.  My concentratiom Is bad and memory terrible in fact I think it's getting worse my eyes are really tight and sore and after googling this it seems that is another symptom.

I'll let you know the outcome on the thyroid thread I originally started back in may. It would be nice to extend my hours at work as I can only manage two at the moment as concentration and energy levels are so bad and when I've finished I'm really tired physically and mentally,which I don't think is normal.

Smokey

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

Thanks mrs purple, I have looked at thyroid uk website and do feel that if my bloods fall between recommended results (which they did last time) they may not be normal for me and feel amazed at how many people are still feeling ill due to there's being so called normal I just hope my doc will go by symptoms as my highest result was 8 before taking thyroxin and then so called normal but I can't remember what they were although they were lower.  Maybe she will let me increase my dose to50 for a trial period and then see how I feel and re test again.  Do you know how long I would need to wait on an increased dose before it could be re tested as I guess it would take a while to get into my system?

I do know if the dose was too high I would feel ill with diarrhoea and restlessness and to be honest I do think you know loads about thyroid issues having been there and done it. It's like my son having diabetes since 2 I know all about that too.

I'm also sure you probably no more than the doctors too.

pixie

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »

I've bought those californian prunes for 79p a tin, Mrs P! :D

Susan: I hope you feel better soon after your suppositories.  ;)

jax

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »

yep, same here...
when I had periods i was bunged up the week before then cleared out as period started so it MUST me hormonal hence...no periods for 7 months...bunged up  :(
I cycle time trials 3 times a week , eat fruit etc but have to take sennacot once a week to clear me out (nothing else works)....great eh??

pixie

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »

Oh dear, well i hope it works soon for you.  It took a while for mine to work! xx 

jax

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »

hmmmm i always thought Banana was binding as mum would say.
if I eat citrus, oranges or juice it loosens things up but I get awful heartburn with citrus

JoJo42

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »

I've suffered with the dreaded constipation too since the start of the Peri. I think it was one of the first things I posted about when I joined this forum as it had got so bad that I had a fissure and going to the loo was like trying to pass Freddie Krueger's glove (a real horror story!! lol). I think I tried every remedy under the sun to no avail. Then I found Dulcobalance sachets that they started to sell over the counter and (touch wood) they work a treat for me, although I don't know how they would suit anyone with additional bowel problems such as IBS etc etc. The GP has given some on prescription for me now and when things start to get "difficult" I take them for a couple of days which sorts it out again and I don't have to use them again for a couple of weeks or so. I think things have improved since starting the HRT too.

Jo xx

pixie

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »

Susan, I found once I had got things moving with the suppository, and possibly another the next day. I had to change my diet straight away, and it took 3  days before there was any improvement, and now its fine.  I've had to increase my fluids by double the amount in this weather, which you are already doing and also increased the fibre, and cut down some carbs. Although it takes a while to work, it gradually got better each day now back to type 4 on the bristol stool scale!!! Sorry if TMI, but the scale is a good indicator, not that we want to keep checking! I am active, but that helps too.  I ts ounds like you are turning the corner.X 8)
The water and lemon is also a great idea. ;)
I agree bananas are binding but good for potassium.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:08:41 PM by pixie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »

I remember having been 'starved since mid-night' prior to surgery.  Surgery took nearly 2 hours.  I was able to have tea and toast that afternoon.  It took 4 days before my bowel even felt like working as it had nothing to pass.

The occasional stool mover is OK.  I tried Senokot but it don't work for me  ::) - and my bowel has been very sluggish in recent weeks probably because I don't drink as many Actimel pots as I have in the past.  Getting lazy, tired at night and can't be bothered ......... then I had the fruit 'thing' 3 weeks ago  :o.  I can eat prunes till the cows come home, don't move anything at all however ......... it's finding what works to get us regular again which is so wearysome  >:(

Swimming can help  ;)

pixie

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

Good idea, think I'll go for a swim tomorrow.  Noticed I've gone backwards slightly again!  Will have to cut back on the wine, carbs and drink more again.  What a nuisance. :-X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »

You'll be OK again, I think we notice the setbacks more than we realise when we feel 'better'  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4