Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: wary of beta blockers  (Read 20271 times)

pamela jess

wary of beta blockers
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »

Hi All
I have been prescribed betablockers and am a bit wary of taking them as they "slow the heartrate down", is that right? I dont like taking tablets at any time anyway but realise I need these as my anxiety is not going away. The dr still maintains it wouldnt just be meno, he says meno gives low mood but not anxiety. I stressed (excuse the pun!) that I have nothing to be anxious about in my life, but he has put me on a list for counselling and prescribed above. Any answers or reassurance would be good. Thanks xx

Bette

Re: wary of beta blockers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »

I'd say that there's nothing wrong with trying BBs - many on here have found them to be very helpful. However, I would also say that your gp is talking absolute rubbish when he says meno gives low mood but not anxiety  :beat: Anxiety was one of my worst peri symptoms (along with low mood and weepiness) and went with HRT, so I'm convinced that it was hormonal. My counsellor said so too!
Bette x

nelliedee

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »

Hi Pamela Jess

I am like you with regard to taking tablets and dont even take a paracetamol unless I am dying but my beta blockers (propanolol 10mg) have been good for me and I just look on them to help me through this rather strange period in my life. Give them a try and hopefully they will give you a little help.
Anxiety has been the worst symptom for me and I am convinced I am in peri meno
Nelliedee x

pamela jess

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »

Thanks Ladies
Its propanolol that Ive been prescribed too, so I am going to give them a go.
 Mrs P thanks for explaining, thats put my mind at rest, am going to have a look at your link and take it to docs next time
I go, sometimes I wish they could get inside my head and then they might realise what Im on about; I know its meno related but they wont agree.....AARGH!!

Appreciate the help all xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

I take 40mg of Propranalol at night an hour before bed to avoid heartburn.  It helps me function on a daily basis.  I also add 40mg in the morning when facing an 'event'.  Some people find they are hyper-active on them, for most it helps slow down the heart surge adrenline kick whcih causes anxiety.  Your GP doesn't know enough about meno - yet. 

I take them every 24 hours, some have been advised to take as necessary but I can't see how that works.  If I don't take one I feel hung over the next day, if I stick to every 24 hours I'm on a more even keel!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »

It explains it perfectly as that how it affects me.  Yep without BBs I wouldn't survive  :-\  I used Valium on an 'as necessary' basis for several years in the 1980s/90s until a couple of times it made me feel worse than awful  ::)

pamela jess

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »

Just read your link Mrs P.....god I feel so much better knowing its not just me, nearly everyone quoted anxiety!!! I am going to print it off and get an appointment with my own doctor and show him. He's such a good dr but you can never get an appt with him for that reason but I will persevere until I do... the dr I have been seeing is ok but just a trainee so I dont think has had enough experience.
Thanks again, you've just made my day (sounds daft I know being glad that its meno, but it means Im not going loopy!)
Maybe.............!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »

We all start s omewhere so maybe dropping a note to the Trainee too?  Forewarned is forearmed and they are taking in info all the while  ;)

pamela jess

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »

Good point CLKD, I might just do that, everyone has to learn dont they? xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »

I think every day is a learning curve for everyone who keeps eyes and ears open  ;) however young/old we are.  You could either have an appt with the trainee or drop a note into the surgery.  I worked with Jnr Drs and they were always pleased to hear of experiences which could help in diagnosis and treatment.  Not all sizes fit all after all   :-\

Danismum

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »

I'm the same, was given propranolol , they slow the heart rate and blood pressure

My blood pressure is really low anyway, so I refused to take them

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »

So what do you take instead?

JJ

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »

Pamela jess, as far as I'm concerned menopause and anxiety go hand in hand. Sick of hearing about docs saying otherwise, don't even bother trying to think why you are anxious, fluctuating hormones are responsible. I have a good gp, when I was really feeling awful last year it was I who doubted peri menopause could have such a devastating effect I wanted to try cbt, I got cbt and frankly it served its purpose when the counsellor told me "this is your hormones not your thoughts", she helped me manage some of the symptoms, so not a total waste of time and I stopped trying to beat myself up wondering why the heck I was feeling so anxious.

Danismum

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

So what do you take instead?

Nothing at the moment, I've been putting up with it everyday

I've tried Diazapam (did nothing), citroplam , (was allergic), amitripyline (made me really drowsy), venaflaxine (felt like a zombie)

I'm going to ask for impriline ? Spelling

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »

It's such Trial and Error sometimes  >:( - I take my drugs at night which helps ease any hung over effects  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3