Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Paying for a nursing home.  (Read 23545 times)

Bette

Re: Paying for a nursing home.
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »

I've just heard that mum's urine test was clear for a urine infection but they're waiting to see if her urine (and various other swabs they've taken) are positive for MRSA. She says that it still burns when she wees but maybe MRSA could cause that? I'm also wondering if that, or the strong ABs she's on for it, could be causing confusion. The nurse said something about her urine having a high number of white blood cells but didn't get to ask her what that meant. She's got a Spanish accent, can be a bit brusque and I was on my mobile in a noisy garage (collecting the car after an oil change  ::) ) so I didn't really understand everything she said.
Part of me just thinks that I'm clutching at straws and that I need to come to terms with the fact that she's just slowly going downhill mentally. She's coping ok really. She'd been to coffee morning when I got there and was planning to cook herself some fish for lunch. On the negative side, she'd forgotten (again) how to lock and unlock her door and had lost the written instructions we'd left her and had also lost her key. Showed her how to do it again, found the key, wrote the instructions again, told her twice more where the key was and then found the original instructions as I left - tucked behind the mirror by the door! I'm just waiting for her to ring me to ask where the key is!
I just wish that I was better at this. She obviously wants reassuring about her memory and I do try but then, of course, she forgets and asks again.... I'm ok when I'm there but can't stop crying at home and poor OH is treading on eggshells.  :'(
Bette x

san

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »

stress is a horrible thing Bette and that's what's causing the tears a worry for OH's safety lol
We have been the same. I expect your mum is worrying a bit and other things on her mind stop her from concentrating on what you're showing her. I use to say to Aunt forget all else and concentrate with me for a minute. It seemed to help her remember certain things.

Be gentle with yourself (and OH) At least she's planning meals and going to social things. Remember the positives in all this too  :hug:

purplenanny

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »

Sending love and hugs Bette, this is not an easy time for you. I think your Mum is doing very well bless her and you are a great daughter to care so much

Purplenanny x x

Trey

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »

Increased white cells in blood or urine indicate infection.  I don't know how it would be possible to not have a urinary infection with high white cells.  Seriously.  They have cultured the urine, yes?  The only other thing it could possibly be as to urinary tract is inflammation or kidney, but kidney would more likely have blood in urine, chills and fever.  Inflammation will raise the white cells a bit so possibly that is it.

MRSA can be difficult, glad they are checking her.  Do not expose yourself especially if you have even the slightest cut or scratch in your hands or any exposed area.  Take a shower after visits if any of her MRSA is where it could get on you or clothing.  Don't mean to alarm, just extra caution needed as the nurse personnel should tell you.  Some folks have it chronically and not so infectious.

How Can I Prevent MRSA?

Staph is spread by contact. You can get MRSA if you touch a person who carries the bacteria -- or if you touch something that an infected person touched.

MRSA is called a "super bug" because infections are resistant to many common antibiotics. Here's what you need to know about drug-resistant staph
© 2008 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Close skin-to-skin contact
Openings in the skin, like cuts or abrasions
Contaminated items and surfaces
Crowded living conditions, like hospitals and prisons
Poor hygiene
In health care centers, people who carry MRSA are sometimes isolated from other patients to prevent the bacteria from spreading.

According to the CDC, here are some of the best ways to prevent MRSA:

Wash your hands thoroughly. Use soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Experts suggest that you wash your hands for as long as it takes you to recite the alphabet.
Cover cuts and scrapes with a clean bandage. This will help the wound heal. It will also prevent you from spreading bacteria to other people.
Do not touch other people's wounds or bandages.
Do not share personal items like towels or razors. If you use any shared gym equipment, wipe it down before and after you use it. Drying clothes, sheets, and towels in a dryer -- rather than letting them air dry -- helps kill bacteria.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:54:18 PM by Trey »

Bette

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »

Thank, Trey.
I presume that the white blood cells might point to MRSA being present other than in the wound on her back and that is why they're testing her urine etc for that. Her wound is well covered but I'll be careful, especially when washing her clothes etc.
Bette x

Eddie

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »

Bette. Just a thought about controlled drugs. Is there any chance of her meds causing the confusion, i cannot believe the difference in my mum since we took over her meds. I know you have the timed pill box, but my mum had been phoning the docs herself for more pain relief and sleeping pills without realising what she was doing to herself.
Eddie. x

Bette

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, Eddie but she hasn't access to anything other than paracetamol and the gp isn't prescribing anything without speaking to me. When she came out of hospital, I discussed with him the tablets she'd had in the past for sleeping and for vertigo and we agreed that she's be better off without them. It obviously worked, as when she asked him (via the carer) for the sleeping tablets, he refused.
I am aware of the need for caution, though. She mustn't have her Calichew tablets in the morning at the moment as they might interfere with the ABs, so as well as removing them from her pill dispenser, I've bought the bottle home so that she can't help herself!
Bette x

honeybun

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

Bette

Another thing we have in common. My mum was in hospital a few years ago for the removal of a cyst. She also swabbed positive for MRSA. When she was discharged she seemed ok and then became a bit confused. The ABs cleared it up. As it turned out my step father was a carrier.

Dont give up hope yet re the confusion. Once they give the correct ABs then things could improve. On a hygiene note. I did all of the washing (even back then). I bought disposable gloves and used them when handling anything and also bought Napisan. You can get it in Tesco. It sterilizes clothes in the washing machine. Just add a spoonful to the washing powder and do it on a hot wash. Napisan is used to steep babies dirty nappies and is great.

I never caught it and neither will you but just take a bit more care with a few small things. 

I think I may have figured out what is wrong with my mum. Codeine withdrawal.... she fits it to a T. Will speak to GP tomorrow to see what he says.

Honeyb
x

Bette

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »

Yesterday morning (a "day off" from visiting) I spoke to her about 9.30 am for her to tell me that the pill dispenser "went off" at 9 but that it was empty. It should have had her AB in it. I rang the carer (who hadn't yet visited) to ask them to look for it but obviously was worried that she'd taken it and forgotten or dropped it. Turns out that there was a glitch with the dispenser and she was right! He sorted it out and gave her the AB - at least she wasn't confused!  ::)
This afternoon I took her out to a tearoom which she enjoyed. I've worked out that one thing which is concerning her is the fact that her elder sister is in a home at the moment (for a holiday but might be permanent if she likes it.) I don't think it's the thought of the home which worries Mum, more that Auntie is (inevitably  :'( ) declining. She said today "I've been thinking, I don't suppose we'll ever see each other again."  :'(  It is over 2 hours away, so will depend on whether Mum becomes able to cope with the journey but I acted optimistic. Then she rang me after the carer's 6pm visit to tell me that she's suggested that Mum should get some cranberry juice. NOO!! It's a serious contraindication with the Warfarin she takes!  :o I think she was thinking that it might help with the burning Mum gets when weeing (which is improving, so hopefully the ABs are helping) or because Mum keeps complaining that the water we're all encouraging her to drink is tasteless (she has got orange squash in the fridge but forgets about it.) I told Mum that she can't have cranberry juice (she is used to avoiding things because of her Warfarin) but also left a message for all the carers to emphasise that she mustn't be encouraged to get any. I do most of her shopping but a neighbour occasionally gets things for her.
I know that it's the way of things but every time something good happens and I start to relax, something worrying happens and I'm back on high alert. At least I'm sleeping well which isn't all that surprising considering how exhausted I feel!
Bette x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2016, 05:08:01 PM »

As stated Social care and paying for care does not mean that the care is any better/worse because we fund it ourselves.   >:(.  The important thing is to consider end of life care first, will your relative need to move from one home to another in order to get full nursing care?  Maybe then it is important that they go into a nursing home rather than retirement/care home sooner rather than later?

Payed-for care seems a lot but consider exactly what the client gets for the money: a roof over their heads, TV paid for, no cooking/cleaning etc., Nursing care when required, lifting assistance, an en-suite fascility [mostly]: costs have to cover payment of staff, laundry facilities, decorating between clients i.e. painting, new carpet, various Insurance costs, Pensions for each paid member of full-time Staff ……….. hopefully a GP when necessary and if needed, the visitation of a Clergyman of their choice.  Care homes are not prisons, when people move in they are 'allowed' out if well enough and many have good 'days out' schemes to the coast, theatre etc..  Too many think that the money tied up in their homes should go to their children, well they should pass it over sooner - otherwise what is it for?  For looking after their eventual care that's what.  Because if they wait then it will be soaked up in fees or the children will pay Inheritance Tax eventually!

I know that we don't spend as much on our properties per year but we don't have the added costs of employing someone to crd of 4 us.  The costs date back to when the property was bought/built and will include the cost of the plot of land.  This isn't explained to potential clients.

We R so used to turning up at Hospital where everything is done for us we don't have to consider exactly how much running a care facility costs!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:11:06 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]