Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Paying for a nursing home.  (Read 23544 times)

Eddie

Re: Paying for a nursing home.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »

Update. We are well on our way with social services, i cracked last week and phoned them myself and demanded help. Mums memory is still really poor and her confusion is as bad, the memory nurse came out today and said she will fast track this and get her case together for social services too. She told me mum is entitled to 8 weeks residential respite a year, which is good news. We were hoping to build an extension for a granny flat, so maybe respite would work whilst that's being done? Medical prompt started on Saturday so just need to tweak times and stuff.
Then the bad news is, the results of her colonoscopy were back today, she has bowel cancer. We are waiting now for a CT scan to find out how bad it is. Not sure if this will change her care needs, just want her looked after.
Eddie. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »

Oh Eddie such sad news. 

Care in the UK comes in many different stages; i.e. Social Services can arrange basic care which may not mean full nursing care when required which may require the client to be moved ......... not something any of us wants once we have settled somewhere.

As stated Social care and paying for care does not mean that the care is any better/worse because we fund it ourselves.   >:(.  The important thing is to consider end of life care first, will your relative need to move from one home to another in order to get full nursing care?  Maybe then it is important that they go into a nursing home rather than retirement/care home sooner rather than later?

Payed for care seems a lot but consider exactly what the client gets for the money: a roof over their heads, TV paid for, no cooking/cleaning etc., Nursing care when required, lifting assistance, an en-suite fascility [mostly]: hopefully a GP when necessary and if needed, the visitation of a Clergyman of their choice.  Care homes are not prisons, when people move in they are 'allowed' out if well enough and many have good 'days out' schemes to the coast, theatre etc..  Too many think that the money tied up in their homes should go to their children, well they should pass it over sooner - otherwise what is it for?  For looking after their eventual care that's what.  Because if they wait then it will be soaked up in fees or the children will pay Inheritance Tax eventually!

It's a real mine-field and something the UK shoudl be sorting  >:(.  All care should be the same across the board, whether Socially provided or paid for.  A retirement home should also be able to provide nursing care as required and it should be nursing care, not someone in a nurses uniform who has no first aid even leave alone qualifications [don't get me started on *that* one  ::)>:(

viv

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »

Sorry to hear the news about your mum Eddie.....you have had such a lot to cope with.

Now I could be wrong but I am sure I read somewhere about using your mothers house (unless its council of course) to fund an extension on your own home. There are some kind of legislation I think although I could be wrong.

My step father had bowel cancer at 87 and survived the operation and went on to live for a good few years. He did have a stoma bag and we had nurses come in twice a day to deal with it. If you want to pm me I can give you more details as its a bit of a minefield.

Honeyb
x

CazzaT

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

So sorry to hear about your mum Eddie hope you can get all the help and advice you need soon.  :hug:

Cazza   xx

Eddie

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »

HoneyB, I am hoping that we can sort something out along those lines financially. Surely she can use her money to  provide her accommodation? My brother has stepped up alot recently, i couldn't do this on my own, however he still drinks every weekend (lots) and plays in the band every weekend, and our caravan is on a permanent pitch not getting used. So that's a pain. I will get more info from you soon. Too tired to take in anything else tonight, telling the girls was heartbreaking. Thanks everyone else too. Eddie. x

Trey

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:10 AM »

Eddie, not sure I can word this right, but as sad as I am about Don's brain cancer, I am greatful the worst part is generally short lived.  I think what you are having to deal with is every bit as draining emotionally and financially. I'm sorry for the diagnosis of bowel cancer and hope it is in an early stage.  Take care and I hope things can somehow settle for you soon.

changesbabe

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 06:07:32 AM »

Oh god Eddie - my heart goes out to you. What a time you are having - you sound so exhausted. Please take care of yourself. What devastating news to hear about the cancer diagnosis too.  As trey says let's hope its in the early stages. It's so difficult having to tell your kids that kind of news isn't it - I have had to do that so many times over the last ten years - it never gets easier. It's hard enough dealing with your own emotions and then you have to support them going through theirs. Gosh so many of you here are struggling with sick relatives just now - such a difficult time. Take care.  Xxx

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »

Sorry to hear that bit of news Eddie.  My grandmother developed bowel cancer in her 80's.  Her clever surgeon managed to do a bypass for her without the use of a stoma.  It gave her another couple of years of quality life.  She moved in with us eventually when she was no longer able to care for herself at home.  We lived in a bungalow and I gave up my bedroom for her.  She was very active mentally up until the end, even having a political argument with my brother a couple of days before the end.
Glad to hear that things are moving with social services. 
Must have been so hard telling your kids, I can't even begin to imagine what that was like for you.  I was never told.  Brother told me many years later after my mum had gone.  A lot of things fell into place then.

viv

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »

Just check things out Eddie before you jump into anything.

Looking after someone with bowel cancer can be very hard but you will know more when you have seen and spoken with the consultant.

My mother said from the very beginning she could not cope with changing a stoma bag (this does not mean to say your mum will have one) but if she does its something you have to consider very carefully. If she cant do it herself and from what you have said that does not seem likely, then it has to be done at least twice every day for the rest of her life.

If you say you cant cope with that (if she is living with you) then nurses will come in to do it for you. This means you can have some freedom otherwise you will never be able to leave her for a day again.

This sounds very harsh but I am sure your mum would not want that for you. You can care for her in every other way....just dont take that on.

I watched my mum go through this and I know she made the correct decision. It enabled her to enjoy my step fathers company but not be tied to him every minute of the day.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes.

Honeyb
x

Eddie

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 11:20:24 PM »

I already feel guilty about my feelings, but they are quite strongly this. My mum is so frail that right now she has barely enough strength to get around her bungalow, let alone care for herself with a stoma bag. The bloods showed today that her renal function is okay for the ct scan to proceed.
The last 18 months have been so difficult for me and her and i had accepted that there was no answer and i was losing her. I don't want her to struggle on any more, these past 18 mths have been so cruel to us and i just feel like i've already lost her, but that my dad is waiting for her.
When my dad died it was a shock, and i always felt i should've been prepared better. The day before he died he   told me to look after mum, and now nearly ten years on i think have done him proud, and i will look after my mum for as long as it takes, but honestly cannot see me changing stoma bags and i'm not sure what quality of life there would be for her.  Eddie. x

Trey

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 03:38:04 AM »

Eddie, I think of you a lot.  I hope you get a good break soon.

Bette

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »

Do not let yourself feel guilty, Eddie. You must do what is right for both you and your Mum. I say this with real empathy as I am struggling with similar thoughts and feelings at the moment (as is OH about his dad.)  :hug:
Bette x

viv

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 06:18:42 PM »

I know you are struggling....its so hard to watch them fade before your eyes.

She may surprise you and keep on going.

Its so hard to balance family with the responsibility of looking after an elderly relative. I find my mother all consuming at times and she is not doing so well any more. Walking out of the house and leaving her to manage alone is the hardest thing...but I have a family so I have no choice.

My heart goes out to you.....its so difficult.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »

Have a word with your GP and see if there is a 'stoma' care Nurse you can talk with about your concerns.  Or maybe you could contact someone on the Ward which deals with this type of surgery.  That way any queries your Mum has can be addressed too.

Little steps  ;)

Trey

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »

Eddie, I think of you often and do not think your fears are unreasonable. I    sure hope you find some workable solutions.

You ladies with long term health worries of your parents have my sympathy. I'm tired after a couple weeks.

It ______ me off when they keep sending prescriptions for my OH for 15 days!!!!  Yikes.

Hang in there
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5