Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Can't Sleep?  (Read 50127 times)

purplenanny

Re: Can't Sleep?
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »

Here is some of the latest information about melatonin

http://www.naturalnews.com/melatonin.html

http://www.frontiernet.net/~batory/articles.html

Melatonin can be bought from BIOVEA UK.

I first tried melatonin way back in the nineties, when it was discussed on "This Morning" Richard and Judy were keen on it.

silverladyx

There are quite a few ladies on power-surge who take it.

Wow, sounds good - but sadly it is not showing on the BIOVEA website?

Is there anywhere else selling it?

purplenanny

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »

just found it on special price: Agestop.net

silverlady

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »

They are part of BIOVEA.  :)

silverlady x

Hurdity

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »

I am sure some supplements are beneficial - but do we really need to do all of this? There are lots of companies making money out of all sorts of hormones and compounds to try to balance our complex internal workings...

However - look at melatonin for example - I for one would prefer to increase this naturally, which sounds perfectly feasible. Following silverlady's links I found this:

It is possible to supply melatonin through supplementation; however, it is also possible to create additional quantities of melatonin without drugs or supplements. The pineal gland produces melatonin, whose quantities are stimulated by the presence of darkness and inhibited in the light. Sleeping in a very dark room with no ambient light can stimulate melatonin production. Creating the conditions of twilight for several hours before going to bed will also set the stage for melatonin production and assist in falling asleep. Keep lights dim and remove all sources of light from the bedroom.

Why not try this first to increase melatonin naturally? (along with reducing caffeine and other stimulants, not too much alcohol or drinking during the evening - to mininise the bladder thing, taking more exercise - but not just before bed - all ways to improve your ability sleep naturally).

We are near the midsummer solstice - the longest hours of daylight. We are trying to fool our bodies into sleeping when they are not designed to so no wonder some have trouble.  So how about getting up a lot earlier and for example trying to reduce total hours to 6-7 more in keeping with the daylight, and getting up a lot earlier - along with something to reduce the light in your room?

When you do go to bed having prepared your body and surroundings as above, then try Bette's 3-2-1 exercise (can't remember where it is) which I use (adpated for going to sleep) to focus the mind and stop all the other thoughts racing about - and it gets me off really quickly.

It's easy to look for a miracle cure or sleeping tablets ( I accept some do need to use these) but completely natural self-help can be really powerful

Hurdity x

purplenanny

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »

You make a lot of sense Hurdity. I am taking Zoplicone now and then and it makes me feel awful in the morning, very low in mood.
Can Bette point us to the relaxation exercises? I would like to try these.
Purplenannyx x

Hurdity

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »

Hi purplenanny
Here is Bette's thread:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.0.html
The exercise is described near the beginning and how I adapted it is near the end- thanks Bette for passing on this idea. Has worked for me - a bit of a worrier and had long periods when couldn't get to sleep due to mind racing and brain being overactive, or waking in the early hours.
Hurdity x

silverlady

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

Melatonin is also indicated for bone health

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-079X.2011.00956.x/abstract;jsessionid=0265DA7043CCF7424B70E3CE97ADCBE8.d04t02'systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+on+9+June+from+10%3A00-12%3A00+BST+%2805%3A00-07%3A00+EDT%29+for+essential+maintenance&userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage= 

The Miracle of Melatonin by Walter Pierpaoli M.D PhD  (perhaps Emma can give an amazon link)  he devoted his whole life to the study of Melatonin. This book is a very good read and easily understood.

silverlady x
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:47:11 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »

I slept last night - for hours and hours and hours ..........   after a Very Busy 5 days!  When I thought I was going to wake up I went back into a lazy dream and this time it worked.   8)

Bette

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »

I've just bumped the thread again - thanks for reminding me. I must admit that I haven't tried your night-time adaptation, Hurdity but I will now!  :thankyou:
I do have a trick, though. I lie there repeating in my head "Not thinking, just sleeping" and if I'm determined enough, I can usually get it to block out the unwanted thoughts that are keeping me awake and I drop off. It was a struggle  last night, with worrying about Mum though, so I'll try the 321 adaptation next time.
Bette x

JJ

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »

I've recently purchased black out blinds (well actually they are just a very dark colour so work just the same)  I've found them great for when you wake early as its easier to get back to sleep when the room isn't bright. Doesn't help much with getting to sleep though.

k9love

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

I cant sleep either!! most nights wake up every hour >:(

Wish someone could just put me out for 24hrs to catch up!

I used to be able to nap in the afternoon but thats impossible as well now :'(

panda762

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »

I've just bought 2 cartons of cherry juice from the supermarket and have avoided ibuprofen all day!
I shall see if that makes any difference tonight..... :)

silverlady

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »

panda762  its the very dark tart cherry juice that has the most melatonin, the ones you buy from the supermarket are cherry juice drinks that are diluted sweet cherry juice from concentrate, I am not sure they work in the same way.

http://tartcherryjuice.org/

silverlady x

paisley

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »

I too had horrible sleep last night. Why is it I can fall asleep on the sofa but when I get up and get into bed I am awake. Anyway got to sleep but then woke up with restless leg again. I really hate it. My leg was in the bed, out of the bed plus I live in Spain so it was so hot. Woke up today did some cleaning and was drained, fell asleep after lunch, not like me and just felt so drained and irritable all afternoon.

Taz2

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »

Stay awake - don't give in to the falling asleep on the sofa routine. As for restless legs - the best tip I had was from my dad's rheumatologist (don't know how we got talking about dad's legs but we did) he said that you have to lay on your back preferably on the floor and put your legs against the wall as high as you can. They have to be straight for it to work.

Have any of you sufferers tried this site? http://rlsuk.healthunlocked.com/

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10