Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Holiday Anxiety  (Read 54830 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Holiday Anxiety
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »

Anxiety is up and I haven't even booked the apartment yet  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

we are having to go away at the weekend and for the first time in about 3 years I'm highly anxious about it, waking in the early hours, dreaming a lot: this morning I felt bad even my thighs were surging with adrenaline  :-\

Firewalker50

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »

Hi CLKD.  Isn't it sad that you cannot look forward in excitement to the weekend but have to wade through the anxiety.

I don't know how you manage the anxiety levels to cope but I was given some methods which included eating the elephant bit by bit.  Taking each part of it and identifying the fear/anxiety factors, worst case scenario, likelihood, coping mechanism.  And then, switching it for 'how I would like to be looking forward to it'.   

Having said all of that, if you have been suffering since the age of 3, you no doubt will have had all the coping ideas in the world put to you.

Someone once said "there is nothing scarier than the fear itself".  I can relate to that!

Fx

san

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »

Is it because it's a unexpected trip CLKD?
I'm ok if I plan but sometimes the unexpected can jangle my nerves

JJ

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »

CLKD  :foryou:

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I do better if nothing is planned.  Spontaneous me  ::) - too much time to plan makes me nervous.  I've been better for the last few years but we've had several lots of bad news, a friend-ship os on it's way out and it all adds up ........  little steps  :-\

Yep, I've had every idea of coping with anxiety suggested under the  :sunny: but it's a deeply learned response not conducive to CAB, relaxation therapy because it began so early.  Betablockas do help.

changesbabe

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »

Hey CLKD life events do knock your confidence and make things more difficult. I usually give myself get out clauses all the way - ie I don't have to go, I can change my mind at any time, I can go a day late if need be, I can come home whenever. Somehow these tactics take the pressure off me - I cannot however use them to go to Corfu - eek!

Small steps and gently does it - you can come home at any time and it won't be a failure because at least you will have tried. And if you don't get away in the first place you will have listened to the part of you that knows its too hard just now - and if you go and it's a success you will be chuffed to bits. Xxx

JJ

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »

Well said hot and spicy.

pj44

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »

Clkd .have a hug. You sound just like me in everything to do with anxiety. I too think that I have had it since childhood. I now can remember having anxiety in certain situations as a child. I now see my first granddaughter being the same my family say she is a lot like me. But the one lovely difference for her is that my daughter gives her loads of comfort and confidence. Something I never had.

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »

All I got was 'you'll be OK once you get there' which was true but it didn't help the dread prior to events  >:(

changesbabe

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »

The anxiety beforehand is a really lonely scary place! No one can do that journey in our head apart from us. My hubby said something really interesting last week - he said 'you just have to go through this process before we go away - there is nothing I can say that will change how you feel cause you still have to go through it - but you always work it out for yourself and get yourself where you need to go'. Bless him but he's right - its so exhausting tho and I wish I didn't have to go through the dread before hand.

When you away CLKD and where you going? Xxx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »

CLKD - I did ask recently whether you'd tried relaxation tapes when travelling?  Maybe you didn't see my post.  I really do sympathise because until last year I'd never had anxiety or a panic attack.

Last night I was up here on the computer and hubby was busy changing all the doorhandles on the upstairs rooms.  I was absolutely fine and then heard him close this door to adjust the handle and I shot off the chair and told him he MUST open the door. It comes on that quick and what possible danger could happen in my own house and with my own hubby?  But there we are, that was enough to panic me. :'(

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »

I don't think I saw the question PennyFarthing, sorry  :-\ and yep I've tried relaxation tapes, talking therapy, deep breathing, eating, not eating, kicking myself, not kicking myself ......... but when it strikes, I have to flee ........

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

No worries. Just thought I'd mention it.

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

:thankyou:  every suggestion helps, it might steer me in a direction not yet tried  ;).  However,  ::)

More positive tonight but then, it's the evening  :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13