Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Holiday Anxiety  (Read 54828 times)

changesbabe

Re: Holiday Anxiety
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »

Your posts made me cry - you ladies are amazing! I knew you would be that's why I posted. So many tips to try - I keep telling myself that it is only adrenalin. I know that I always feel better as the day goes on and am always worse in the morning. Am very shaky just now having just come back from docs - watch this space and I will let you know if I get it booked. Xxx

Firewalker50

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »

Hi CLKD

I am not a psychologist and it was not a trite comment, nor was it intended to anger anyone, so I apologise unreservedly to anyone who felt angered or annoyed by it. 

I lived through anxiety attacks years ago.  I attended hypnosis and CBT & NLP as well as yoga, meditation and other 'self help' type sessions/experiences.  I also learned a lot about the mind-body link, and stored emotions/physiological reactons.

As a result of that work, and in particular CBT, I rarely suffer from anxiety attacks at all now.  I am like a different person.  Yes, it started with the 'feelings', the physical reactions and then my head took over, making it worse.  Too much to go into here, but I learned how to acknowledge the feelings, process the thoughts differently and remove the anxiety from my mind.  Right now, I cannot remember the last time I had an anxiety attack although I apply the same process when dealing with difficult situations or upsets.

In contrast to your comment about CBT helping very few people, I know of several people who have been helped quite radically by CBT.   In fact, those people I know who have attended CBT counselling and other types, have found it much more helpful than the other counsellings.  One shoe does not fit every foot though, I appreciate that.

So, my post was intended to be helpful and constructive with various ideas.  It may be a combination of many actions over a period of time, that will relieve her anxiety.   I believe it must be horrible for Hot and Spicy to feel that way about the holiday she has found, and I do hope she finds a way to manage the situation and have a fabulous time.

Good Post Mrs. P.  We should all learn to trust ourselves to know what is best for us.

Fx

JJ

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »

Hot and spicy just noticed this thread after posting on other ......

I'm of the take a diazepam'  opinion. I'd quite like to go abroad but  don't much fancy the airport etc but I defo think I'd force myself through it to be abroad.

Not long been away in uk and this time last year could barely get out front door . Im quite flabbergasted at this meno business and how the physical symptoms and their unpredictability impacts ones life !! 

I have flown lots of times and to be honest there are lots of anxious flyers, when I think back to some of the flights I've been on I'm sure I can remember quite a few faces that looked extrmely glad to get off.

I think if you have flown before and you have a back up Valium in your purse you would more than likely be fine. If you don't feel ready to go abroad just yet don't beat yourself up about it you can go as soon as your ready too. Lots of nice places in UK and we may get a lovely July and August .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 05:35:15 PM »

Nothing is 'only' or 'just' .......  ;)

"only adrenalin"  ....... can cause me to shiver for hours.  A psychologist once told me that a panic attack can only last 10 mins ....... I could have swung for her  >:( - my longest attack was 3 days and nights ......... it's why it's called an 'attack'.

PennyFarthing - the more you look into psychology the more you will realise what you want from the sessions.  I was afraid of making a mistake the first time I ever went ......... but the lady let me talk myself out and then I went back the next week for helpful coping strategies; some worked, others didn't.  Another one I saw was quoting 'the book' at me and I could tell her which page she was remembering  ::)  ........... if it doesn't feel 'right' for you then go elsewhere.  There are many types of therapy and many ways of 'experts' putting it over well enough to help the client.  At first I wanted a 'cure' then Ir ealised that talking it 'out' of my head helped enormously - discuss, decide, ditch  ;)

As for holidays: I woudl love to be able to pop onto a plane/train/coach and go places  :'( but the anxiety is not worth it in many cases.  I have however improved beyond all dreams! and now Himself and I go out and about as well as having holidays in the UK.  Italian Lakes next  ;)

JJ

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »

Very much agree nothing is only or just, especially anxiety. I suppose if it was JUST adrenalin it wouldn't have such a huge impact. I think if we're lucky we can eventually master it in our own way, kind of find our own salvation .

The last 12 months have certainly given me a huge insight into how difficult it must be for those who have suffered with anxiety for most of their adult lives.

For those of us who can relate it to our hormones, at least we have the memory of normality and the hope of its return when things settle for us. For that I am truly thankful.

Gosh, after sitting reading over these posts I feel low, sorry for myself and sorry for everyone else in menohell.  This won't do...

Bette

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »

Hi H&S
Lots of good advice already but just to say that I'd agree with the suggestion to try having some hypnotherapy, especially if you can find a therapist also trained in in NLP; that's how I learnt the wonderful 321 exercise. I still listen to the cd she recorded for me every night in bed and it really does help me to relax and get to sleep. Not everyone is suitable for hypnotherapy but it's definitely worth a try.
Bette x

Anne

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »

I haven't suffered anxiety as such but I did have a terrible fear of flying when I was younger - had to be dragged from the house to the car to travel to the airport! I took diazepam for flights but my GP wasn't prepared to prescribe this every time I flew, so I ended up trying hypnotherapy (four sessions). It has been a godsend. My therapist taught me self-hypnosis, so now if I get anxious during a flight (bad turbulence can set me off) I use the technique and relax myself. I'm now happy to fly all over the place.

There will be something out there that can help, but unfortunately it takes a bit of trial and error. Keep looking - you'll find the thing that works for you.

Ziggy

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »

Like Anne, I too had a terrible fear of flying suffering crippling anxiety before I had to fly. It finally got to the point when I couldn't fly. Then my husband and I got the opportunity to take an expenses paid trip to San Francisco, a city I'd always wanted to visit, so I knew I had to do something about my anxiety about flying. I decided on hypnotherapy. My first attempt was a disaster; I picked a therapist out of the Yellow Pages and she was barking mad. I knew she would never be able to help me as she was totally bonkers. A friend then told me about a work colleague of hers who was a doctor who had also trained in hypnotherapy so I had 3 sessions with him where he taught me self hypnosis, it was really just a relaxation technique rather than hypnosis. I made my flight to and from San Francisco, my husband couldn't believe how calm I was. Since then I have flown many times including going to Australia.
I don't enjoy flying and I'd rather not do it but at least now I can fly without being a gibbering wreck. I have also bought a Fear of Flying CD which uses the same relaxation technique and I listen to that before I fly and on the plane for as long as I can use the mp3 player before take off. I've listened to the CD so often now that as soon as I hear the therapist's voice I start to relax, it's a Pavlovian response nowl. Hypnotherapy has made a huge difference to me and I use the relaxation technique in other areas of my life if I find myself getting wound up and stressed.
It is important to find the right therapist though. If I'd stuck with the first therapist I saw I feel sure I would never have got on the plane to the US.

Meg

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »

Just a comment that it seems tragic that the upheaval of menopause and what I put down to hormones can cause us all of this panic and anxiety.  I would put most of it with many women down to the hormones doing what they do to our brains.  Why are we ruled like this so that we get so anxious and it stops us doing what we really want to.  Mind over matter is easier said than done.  Let's congratulate ourselves though for trying to overcome body chemistry.

Meg

san

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

I'll join you on that one Meg.
Before I was a calm, take it as it happens person.
Now I get anxious about anything and restricted by rubbish thoughts.
Some days I overcome others I don't do so well.

Over all I like to think I'm winning.
Flying is one thing I use to do but now the thought freezes me.
One thing I have noticed that having holidays in the UK I seen how lovely parts of our land is. ... now if we could have seasons instead of 'weather' things would be ideal  8)

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »

We have a beautiful country, some of the oldest history in the World with scenery to go with it!  However, the weather  ::)

viv

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »

There is no such a thing as bad weather...............

Just inappropriate clothing.

;D ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »

unless there's a hole in the wellie  :D

changesbabe

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »

Well can you believe it - I've only gone and booked it! The last few days have been really difficult - wanting to book it and being terrified at the same time.  I have had the holiday up on the pc so many times and today it just felt right so I did it. Now it's done I feel really excited! I am sure over the next six weeks I will go through lots of anxiety attacks about it but I've got you guys to help me through it. Am defo going to get hypno and am researching therapists as we speak! 

Woo hoo - am off to Corfu! Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

Well Done!  Yep you will get anxious, me I would rather someone handed me a ticket in the morning and said go now  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13