Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tinnitus driving me crazy.  (Read 10280 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tinnitus driving me crazy.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »

Chandlers make rope  ;)

Candling - 1 should never put anything larger than your own little finger in your ear hole  :o

Warmed olive oil dropped into the outer ear and allowed to run into the ear - which is time consuming, may itch a bit as it reaches the drum and requires laying down with affected ear upwards  ::)

Pauline

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »

No I think you're wrong. Chandlers were candle makers. I believe the old name for a rope maker was a corder?
It was a joke really as I seem to be making so much wax I could go into business.
Wouldn't candle the ears as I have heard some scary things about that.
Maybe I am just too flippant?

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »

Not flippant at all  ::) - you've got me thinking though :

"Our history -
"The Tallow Chandlers Company" was formed in about 1300 to regulate oils, ointments, lubricants and fat-based preservatives and to manage candle making using tallow (animal fats). Over the next 150 years we expanded in membership and influence, until King Edward IV granted us a coat of arms in 1456, and full livery status in 1462.

"By the 1500s, we were looking after London's trade in a wide range of domestic goods, including sauces, vinegar, soap, cheese and herrings. We were also intimately involved in the service of the City. Our tallow candles played a key role in the compulsory street lighting for the City of London, and we were supplying the City Watch with 60 men.  ……. "

Also : Retail and Trade Suppliers of Canal and Narrow Boat Equipment
Midland Chandlers has been established for over 35 years and is the market leader in the supply of equipment for inland waterways craft. We have four well stocked showrooms based in Preston Brook (Warrington), Braunston (Daventry), Penkridge (Staffordshire) and Willington (Derbyshire). "

so I wasn't far away  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:10:33 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »

"The Historic Dockyard Chatham has made rope since 1618.  At over 1,100 feet long the Ropery is a unique and vibrant 19th Century working Ropery.  As the last remaining original naval ropeyard in operation The Historic Dockyard Chatham still plays an important part in the production of both natural and synthetic rope….. ………. "

You've got me a-meandering now  :-X

"The National Candle Association" …….

At this very moment in time both ears are quiet ………. for several weeks the R 1 has felt bunged up and a good old wriggle has sometimes relieved that feeling.  For 2 days this week both ears have been clearer.  It's a real nuisance  >:( at times ………..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:11:52 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »

Someone who makes rope is called a cordge.

I was told never to put something smaller than your elbow in your ear  ;D

Cotton buds although very tempting are never a good idea. Almond oil is best for your ear. Warm in hot water until blood temperature then drip into your ear. Lie down for at least ten mins and that helps soften wax.

Better still visit your nurse after having treated the ear with oil to soften for at least four days. Then the nurse can syringe the wax out.

My tinnitus is not caused by wax. Started with an infection but now is affected by stress.
Miserable thing.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »

Tinnitus is commonly caused by Loud Music ….. so any1 who was raised from the mid-1960s  ::) ……. including musicians! 

Almond oil - don't want to smell like a cake though but maybe olive oil would make me smell like a chippy  :o  ……..

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »

If you find a chippie that uses olive oil then let me know. They use vegetable oil for far far too long before they chuck it out  ;D

I would rather smell like a cake than a chip shop  ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »

;D  ……… DH uses olive oil for mostly everything  :)

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »

Yep and very nice it is too when you use a table spoonful. Chippies would use gallons. It does not keep well after its been heated either. Cheap and very cheerful for your fish and chips and by the time they throw it out its disgusting. I have cleaned out many an industrial fryer and by the time you get to the bottom it's almost solid with gunk.

That's why I cook my own fish and chips   :o

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »

Oh another meander - I remember the deep fat friers in School  :-X  ;D

My ears feel 'full' this morning ……..
Pages: 1 [2]