Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dexa Scan  (Read 10162 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dexa Scan
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »

::) all in the name of Research without which ?

oldsheep

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 10:56:53 AM »

I'm having another DEXA scan in early Jan. Last one was about 6 years ago and showed osteopenia and I have a very bad family history of osteoporosis. I had to really persuade the GP.
I'd not heard of strontium before. What form and dose is it taken in and does it have side effects?
I must ask at the meno clinic in Jan when I have my annual checkup. GP just prescribes calcium and D3 supplement.

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »

my husband was on strontium for 5 years but was taken off it because it is not licensed for men and there has been some question that it can contribute to blood clots and heart attacks. It was also a bit of a fiddle as it is a powder that has to be mixed with water and drunk, every night, on an empty stomach He did very well when he was on it but now takes Alendronate (Fosamax) which is a once a week tablet. Hopefully his next scan will show that this is also keeping his condition stable.

oldsheep if you have a family history your GP must be attentive and refer you if you wish to be referred.

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »

I think you are talking about strontium ranelate which is a prescribed drug, which is different to natural sources of strontium.

http://www.algaecal.com/bone-health-news/the-truth-about-strontium-supplements-side-effects-dexa-results-efficacy-and-more/

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »

yes I am I didn't realise there was another version. my mistake.

Thank you I have sent the link to my husband  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:46:46 PM by babyjane »

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »

I didn't think that Strontium would be 'given'  ::) - have a listen to Tom Learer's perioditic table 'song'  ;) …….. written like that in one of G&S's operettas and very cleverly worded.

oldsheep

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »

is Fosamax the one where you have to sit bolt upright for 30 mins after taking it? My late mum was on that.

They seem so unsure about what actually helps osteoporosis. Some studies I read say even walking isn't that helpful, you have to run. I can't run.

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »

yes that's the one.  There is a daily one and a weekly one.

Husband does weight bearing exercise at the gym so he does what he can to help himself.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

Brisk walking should be enough if 1 has a balanced diet.  We are hunter gatherers who would run in very short bursts  -  either after grub or away from chasing animals who viewed us as lunch: also getting enough sunshine is important. 

Enough dairy in our formative years too.  Those girls who were diet conscious or worse will now begin to suffer from lack of bone density which will get worse as they age  :-\
Pages: 1 [2]