Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT combi in Spain  (Read 9948 times)

hollibobs13

HRT combi in Spain
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »

Hi, I am new to MM and would like some advice if anyone can help please.  I have been off Climagest 2mg for 18 months now but the flashes, insomnia and vaginal atrophy are getting worse instead of better!! :'( I would like to know if any ladies live in Spain and know if there is a combi HRT out here? I love Spain and all that goes with it but trying to get any info from a Spanish doctor is like trying to knit fog!  I have tried Meriestra which did help as far as the flashes go, but was very concerned when I read that if your uterus is intact you should not take an estrogen only HRT???  Wondered if I could take the Meriestra and back it up with something like Darstin or Vagifem which is readily available OTC. Please help!  I really need to get some sleep and less discomfort in the vaginal area.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

Bette

Re: HRT combi in Spain
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

Hi hollibobs
 :welcomemm:
You're right that you shouldn't take estrogen-only HRT unless you've had a hysterectomy; you need to take progesterone too to protect your womb.
Vagifem is estrogen-only but is very popular with ladies on here for VA and can be used without anything else, so it'd probably be worth you trying that anyway. It won't help with the hot flushes, though.
Have you had any periods since you came off the Climagest? If not, you could go onto a post-meno HRT now. The ones available in the UK are listed here:-
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php
They may well be available in Spain but possibly under different names.
You could take Meriestra (which is, I presume, estrogen only?) and add a separate prog. but it would probably be easier to take a combined product if you felt ok on Climagest. Sorry but I don't know what Darstin is.  :-\
Hopefully someone who know something about what's available in Spain will be along to advise you.  :)
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »

We do have another member, Paisley, who is living in Spain at the minute. I have pm'd her to see if she can help.

Do you mind me asking why you had to come off Climagest?

Taz x

paisley

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »

Hi hollibobs13,
                   I also live in Spain, only since last August but as yet have not been to a Spanish doctor. I am a bit different cos I had a total hysterectomy last year so I only take elleste solo, oestrogen only. I ran out of elleste solo so went to the local pharmacy cos in Spain they will give you medicine over the counter that you have to get on prescription here in U.K. They don't do elleste solo in Spain but she gave me something called progynova, and said it was the same, I have been on it for 4 days and so far touch wood hasn't affected me. So what I would suggest is go to a pharmacy in Spain that you know can speak a bit of English and ask her what she recommends as I think they are much better than the Spanish doctors and far more helpful and a lot more experienced.

hollibobs13

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:09:09 AM »

Reply to Taz2

Hi Taz, Thanks for the reply.  I had to come off Climagest not because I wanted to but because it is not available in Spain and trying to get any info on combi HRT out here is nigh impossible  >:( Spanish doctors don't seem to be as "switched on" as English ones when it comes to the menopause!!  I haven't had a period now for over 2 years so am rightly or wrongly assuming I am post meno??  Am going to the Farmacia today (been back to England for past couple of weeks hence not sorting it sooner) to see if I can get some form of combi HRT.

Thanks Paisley - will mention your suggestion to my English speaking lady in the Farmacia and see if she can help.

Thank you all for your kind and prompt responses - I will  post an update!  :-*

Bette

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »

Hi hollibobs
Yes, you can have a continuous, no-bleed, post-meno HRT if you haven't had a period for over 2 years. This might be a bit late but you could print off this list to take with you:-
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php
The product names will be different in Spain, of course but the hormones themselves might have similar names.
Climagest contains Estradiol valerate and Norethisterone, so if that suited you, you could look for a similar conti product.
Good luck!
Bette x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »

Bounced