Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paying for care home for mum  (Read 8917 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Paying for care home for mum
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »

Groundhog - there is no way that a landlord is stuck with a 3 (you said initially) or longer rental agreement  :bang: :bang: :bang:

From what you have said about this person in the Council, he knows very little about the rental market and probably does want money so don't tie yourself up with him!  Go into a rental agency and ask the questions from one that doesn't want your money : an Agent will be happy to give as much advice as is necessary: Insurances required, time of rental agreements, get-out clauses, what to charge - the more rental is charged the more the next client will require in property being in tip top condition.  This has to be sorted between each let, my neighbour is currently replacing carpets throughout because clients don't want the old ones! [which to be fair have been down several years].  This comes out of any rental paid over the last few years.

Personally I would put wood flooring throughout rather than carpeting  ::).  But touching up paint-work isnt' enough, rooms have to be re-decorated - which is something I would expect if was paying over £2,550 per calendar month.  So add to that what would you expect to get from the property if you sold as it is and how much would you spend in order to make it saleable instead of renting it out.

Would, if it sold today: considering Agents Fees, Solicitors Fees and any Inheritance Tax : spread as far as it is needed to go anyway? 

star35

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »

We considered using the council for our rental property, they lease your property from you not rent it and they will pay you every month even if they don't have tenants in there. They completely take over the property ie they do everything that needs doing to meet the rental conditions and continue to maintain it through the agreement time. Then they refurb before returning it to you. All of this will cost you nothing. Of course councils in different areas could do things differently. Once they take it over for the agreeded time you will have nothing to do except sit back and let them deal with it.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »

Thanks for that, how long is the Rental period for though, 3/5 years seems an awfully long time!

star35

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »

Well for us it would have been for 2 or 3 years what ever one we wanted but there were get out clauses if we needed them. I can't remember what they were now.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »

That's clearer, thanks.  Not a way I would go though.

groundhog

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »

Hello,

Yes star 35 that sound similar to our councils scheme.  I suppose CLKD I'm drawn to the council as I worked for them for 25 years and know the guy personally.  I don't think he'd mislead me but yes it is a long let.  I think it's because the people they are rehousing are vulnerable ( refugees) and so they want stability but there are get out clauses.  In return they will inspect the property initially and do any required repairs or decorating to bring it up to standard.  In my mothers case this isn't really needed although there is some external work that needs doing.  They will also collect and pay the rent to us,  deal with any disputes,  inspect and when the tenancy ends,  hand it over in the same condition as it was let.  But I realise the risks and on the basis I can't deal with stress and will probably be out of the equation for a few months ( post op, again ) I need as little stress as possible. 
The property is only worth about £80k so not a fortune.  We could sell but houses can take years to sell in my village and they are usually sold to be rented out - at least this way we are keeping it in the family but no decisions made yet. 

Clare11

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 02:01:34 AM »

Hi there, we rented out mums home to cover care home fees but did it through a local  agency. Did this as didn't want the stress. They take 10℅ but do 6 monthly checks and ensure the payment is received. 6 month on going let. Also sort out gas checks. We specified type of rental tennet we would like and they did all they could. They have been there 3 years now. Very good agency, recommend that route.
x

groundhog

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »

Thanks again ladies,  all very valid points of course.  Ones I have considered but without a crystal ball it's hard to know what to do.
Stellajayne the shortfall between what the home charges and her pensions is about £900 per month so if we do nothing the deferred debt will be abiut £11,000 per annum ).  ( the council allow you to defer any shortfall until Such time as mother passes or property is sold ) .  We could get about £6000 rental income per annum so all it will do is reduce the ultimate debt )

If she were to deteriorate and go to a more expensive home I would imagine it would be a nursing home and there is a contribution for the nursing element.  Again though the option to defer any difference would remain - it would just mean the debt would be more.

There are limited savings to act as a buffer for repairs to the property.  Plus of course my mother isn't a quiet little old lady with dementia,  she is a feisty lady who thinks she is 45 and perfectly well!  So she likes to spend money and be taken out.  ( yesterday my sister took her to marks for coffee and there was a fire in store - she had to be carried down stairs in one of thoise evacu chairs - thought it was great fun lol ).   Point I'm making is she needs an income too to give her some quality of life.

This is so hard !  I just do no know what to do.  I'm now thinking the 3-5 year tenancy the council want is too long .  If she were to pass away after 5 years,  then the debt to the council would be £30 k ( even after taking into account the rental income ).  So we'd have to sell the property anyway to repay this amount and I know for a fact if you can't sell the property within a short space of time the council will charge interest.  The only fsmiky member who would have the means to pay the debt to the council would be - guess who - me!  Why?  Because I have been cautious and not had a life !!!  This was to be my time,  but the nasty bowel perforation saw to that one!   Seize the day ladies 😖😖😖

BEAM ME UP 😩

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »

Oh have a  :bighug:

I have found in the past that dealing with 'friends' can become difficult, you can't have a Really Good Row with a friend  ::)

This is my High Horse again: EVERY care home should provide full Nursing Care, who would want at the end of Life when feeling poorly to have to move from one place to another  >:(.  This situation badly lets down clients as well as Staff who build up a working relationship and then have to watch their residents leave because full care isn't on offer!

Maybe have a look-see at the various places close to you groundhog and get an idea of yearly costs?  Does the current place offer end of Life nursing care when required even if there is a top-up fee?

£80K won't attract a huge rent .........

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »

I have a booklet here about paying for care home fees but I've been so stressed that I can't even start reading it!  I know I will have to soon though.  I do know a woman who is going to rent out her mothers house now she has gone in a care home.

She has had to empty the house, give some to charities and dump other stuff and she says it's been a big job.  She has also had to keep stuff her Mum wants. She's had to replace all the carpets as they were very old fashioned, update the bathroom and get it decorated throughout as that was worn too.

Clare11

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »

Hi, I have to say when we decided to rent mums home out we had to blitz the whole house. New flooring, painting, some new windows and new kitchen cupboards and sink and new toilet. Me and the OH did the painting but had people in to do the other work. Brother and wife helped clean place out but couldn't do more as live so far away. So all that had to be paid for even before rental coming in.

Also I think if you do sell, once your mum's savings go below £23k then there is a reduction in what she has to contribute to home care.
Not sure if someone had mentioned attendance allowance to you. Good thing to look into.
Then I think if there is another step/reduction in payment when your mum's savings hit £12k.
It's mind field. And as CLKD mentioned try and find a home that will see your mum all the way, we did and it was a big help. They did everything they could for her the only move she made was to a different room near the care staff so they could constantly check on her and have her close at hand during her last week or two.
A big big hug to you as I do know it's very hard to go through :bighug:
Just try to take it at your pace.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »

Fire alarms.  Fire extinguishes.  Fire blankets ......... it can run into more than the stress is worth. 
Pages: 1 [2]