Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: High cholesterol  (Read 20258 times)

silverlady

Re: High cholesterol
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 07:11:40 AM »

Hannah1, Waitrose sell the Benecol cheese.

silverlady x

Hannah1

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »

Thanks Bette and Silverlady - will have a look at Sainsbury's when I go next time too.  Unfortunately, we do not have a Waitrose closer than 25 miles away.

Hannah

Bette

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »

M-i-l shops at Asda and Tescos - Sainsburys very rarely. Definitely never been in a Waitrose!  ;D
Bette x

panda762

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 11:05:32 AM »

One Year In - I've despaired of my weight gain since before my hysterectomy 2008 (fybroids). I was 13st when I went into hospital, had an organ removed, didn't eat much for over a week (hospital food) and STILL weighted 13 st when I was discharged!!

Since then I've been gaining steadily (14.5 st and under 5 ft 4 inches tall). I've done the whole diet diary / weight clinic (GP surgery) etc etc but no matter what I do I can't seem to stop gaining weight.

GP hasn't been particularly helpful, saying it's my age (!) or it's just part of meno! Another favourite is "Eat less and exercise more" (Doh!)

Of course, I guess it could be down to some of my meds (statins, omeprozole, amlodipine and now HRT).

I was hoping the testo implant would give me enough energy to do more exercise (if/when it decides to start working).

Weight obviously doesn't help with the whole cholesterol issue, however, as I have the hereditary type it's not a contributing factor in my particular case.

xxx

one year in

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »

I'm not sure with Benecol if it acts like drugs, ie. when you stop eating it your cholesterol levels shoot back up again?

Panda, it definitely sounds as though it's the drugs you're taking that are causing your weight gain.

Hannah, good luck!  I try not to think about dieting/cholesterol loss now - I have just cut out high fat snack foods (for ever I hope!) and try not to eat much animal fat (although I love cheese!).  My weight loss has been very slow and I hope it will continue.  I am still large but feel better!

Hannah1

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »

I wondered that too OYI - if you have to stay on the Benecol drinks for ever to keep it down.  I guess once down though you can keep better control of it maybe - I live in hope anyway.

I have the weight issue too and find it so hard - especially with the underactive thyroid as metabalism slows up too.

Maybe we should eat, drink and be merry and live for the day!

Hannah

silverlady

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »

Hannah1

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »

Have just looked at this Silverlady and very interesting - I have started taking coconut oil capsules recently as was advised that they were good to help lower cholesterol.

Hannah

silverlady

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

If you look down the right side of the youtube page there are some more excellent youtubes too.

silverlady x

one year in

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »

I just had a look at the link too SL.  I found it quite hard to follow what he was saying but I think he was basically saying instead of taking whatever the doctor says (drugs), take a look at your lifestyle first.  Also not to take it too far because some cholesterol is obviously necessary for your body to function.  However he didn't seem to say at what point you should consider your cholesterol levels to be high and didn't mention menopausal women or hereditery high cholesterol.

It didn't help that I lost the track half way through though so I didn't get to hear it all!  My internet connection is not the best!  Anway, I think his message, all things in moderation is very sensible.

Joyce

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »

I eventually got my cholesterol down using Benecol but when I asked if I could give it up, GP told me to keep using it.  So still a pot every day, well when I can remember to take it.   ::)
My brother has to watch his cholesterol too, but not sure if it's hereditary though.

Dennylou48

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »

I bought the benecol cheese yesterday and it isn't ver nice but if it's the only cheese that I can have I will eat it, I also have the benecol spread and start every morning with the little pot of drink, I must admit my cholesterol went from 6.3 to 5.4 in 6 months, so am gonna keep at it for the next 6 months and see how I get on. Good luck everyone, almonds, celery and passion fruit are great to lower it too. Xx

cubagirl

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »

I've altered my diet, included porridge, even though I struggle with the stuff. Used to be able to get benecol dairy free, but no supermarket beside us stock the stuff now. However, I will persevere with the porridge, nuts etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]