Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 900299 times)

Taz2

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2008, 06:14:36 AM »

Hi Marina - from what I remember... I was on Vagifem for dryness and when I was prescribed HRT proper my GP did mention that if the dryness returned then I could continue to take Vagifem and should go back and see her for a new prescription. Now, with meno fog, I might just have got that wrong but it seems to be what I remember her saying...  Fortunately for me the HRT also took care of the dryness and I stopped the Vagifem about a month after starting HRT with no ill-effects.

Good luck with your next trip to the doc armed with all of your knowledge !  :poke2: :poke2:

Love Taz x

stormy57

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »

I started out using Vagifem and it worked ok but I still had to  use replens in between dosages and I still felt discomfort and still burned after intercourse.  My husband complained I still felt swollen and dry inside and didn't really want to have sex anymore because he knew it hurt me.    After about 5 months I got tired of paying so much for something that wasn't working that well.

I called my Gyn and asked if there was something else I could take because my insurance didn't pay much and It cost me $36.75 a month.  The Gyn wrote a new RX for Estrace Vaginal cream which cost me $30.00 a  month (insurance still didn't pay much).  I know you are saying that's not much of a saving why bother but oh my gosh Estrace has been a life saver.  I insert about 1gm in the vagina every other night, I don't use replens and I think it helps my hot flashes eventhough they say it doesn't work that way.  The best thing is, my husband says I finally feel normal again and wants to have sex all the time.  I found that with the cream I can go 1 1/2 to almost 2 months on 1 tube of cream, which is saving me money.  When I feel that my dosage isn't working at 100% I just up the dosage for a few times and I am back to speed.  If Vagifem is working but not how you would like it to then by all means try Estrace Vaginal Cream it saved my life and my sex life..................

Cindy

JanetNiftyFifty

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »

Hello everyone.
I'm also new to this forum and would welcome any advise from similar women in my position.  I had the feeling that I completely lost my sex drive about a year ago.  Although at that time I wasn't in a relationship and hadn't been for over a year!  I am now seeing someone and Sunday night we actually got around (after a couple of months of passionate kissing,etc) to sleeping together.  I wasn't prepared for the shock of having no lubrication!! It was like sandpaper and very painful and he felt it too, although he was very patient and gentle.  So I thought that was a one off - you know nerves, etc. So when we did it again shortly after the first time (not bad for a 49 year old man!!)  Lubrication improved, but it was still painful.  Well, this morning I feel very sore and I have noticed that my vagina itself feels very tight.  Usually it isn't like that.  As if the walls may be inflamed?  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any input would be most welcome.
Many Thanks
PS i'm making an appointment at my GPs.
Janet

Taz2

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2008, 10:52:11 AM »

Hi Janet - welcome to the forum.

I would say that you have got vaginal dryness caused by the lack of oestrogen - it's a pain in a lot of ways!!  :bang: :beat:

Have a chat with your GP and if you are lucky enough to have a clued up one you may be prescribed Vagifem. This is a form of HRT which are tiny pellets. They are inserted high into the vagina, once a night for two weeks I think and then twice a week, and they are absorbed directly into the vaginal tissue. This will replenish the vagina and make sex comfortable once again. You may find that you get a bout of cystitis after sex. I had to take a low dose antibiotic each night to keep mine at bay until the Vagifem worked.

If you have time read the whole of this thread - each post may have something to offer.

Good luck with your new man and don't forget to be careful  :safe: 49?  He is a youngster and twice a night is the least you should expect!  >:D

Love Taz x  :)

JanetNiftyFifty

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2008, 01:56:47 PM »

THanks, Taz

You seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject and I see that you have given advise many times in this forum.  Bless you.

Your words have given me hope and I will tell the doctor to give me VagiFem as, reading the other posts, this seems to be the best there is, apart from going the HRT route, which I don't need as I don't suffer in any other way.

So, I'll let you all know how I get on with the medication.  Have a lovely day!

Janetx

Taz2

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »

Janet - I think it is knowledge borne out of desperation  :sweatdrop: :stupid: :stretcher:

Hope you get the right treatment for you.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »

Welcome new members to our thread ......... KY is the tube of choice in this household ......... [when I can stay awake long enough  ;) ]

Taz2

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »

Ky is good as far as it goes(!) Pepper but once you get to the state that the vaginal tissues have become delicate and lost their "spring" then it doesn't really help  :(  and you need to "plump" the tissues back up.

Taz x

Rosebush

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »

Can Vagifem only be used if you are peri-meno, i have not had a period for 3yrs and when i asked my Gp for Vagifem, he advised using Estriol pessaries instead, which are so messy... :(

Taz2

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »

Hi Rosebush - I think it can be used for post menopausal women as, after all, this is when we are most likely to be suffering the dryness. Have found this for you http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002706.html  and have also checked the Estriol link and the advice is identical for both products. They seem the same. The warnings are the same. Are the Estriol pessaries tiny or quite large. The Vagifem ones are really small and stick high up in the vagina - they don't come back down if you get my meaning - and are absorbed directly through the tissues.

Maybe your doc's practice gets a better deal over prescribing Estriol over Vagifem as, to be honest, there doesn't seem to be any difference between them.

Love Taz x

Tricia

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »

Hi Janet  :welcomemm:

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.

Love,

Tricia :-* :-* :-*

Rosebush

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »

Thxs Taz  :)  i will ask again for Vagifem, as Est pessaries are like huge bullets, i did cut them in half which helped with the messyness, but of course this halved the dosage so not as effective.. :'(

Taz2

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »

I would try to get the Vagifem Rosebush - they are really small little tablets. Sounds like the Estriol ones are a nightmare. Honestly, there is no mess with Vagifem - there shouldn't really be a mess with any of them as they are not lubricants but work within the tissues themselves. Good luck.

Love Taz x

JanetNiftyFifty

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »

Hi Everyone

And thank you Tricia for welcoming me.  It's great that we are all connected by our menopausal issues.  Wouldn't it have been great if we had this kind of forum when we were going through puberty and first love, etc!! ?  ;D

I posted my first message a couple of days ago, before going to the doctor.  I went yesterday and she actually asked me what medication I wanted!!  So, obviously I said VagiFem and she prescribed it immediately, saying that it's such a change to have a patient who has taken the time to research her problems and to come up with a solution for her!  The doctor told me that they are brilliant and work within a week.

I used the little tablets for the first time yesterday.  I can honestly say that they are really small and sit very high up in the vagina and do not drop out nor do I have any kind of discharge. I am really excited at the prospect of not experiencing the awful dryness when we next "do" it (which won't be for a while cos of our teenage kids!) Roll on September and off to UNI!!.  So, with that thought, I will leave you and I will report back on the results of the first time after using the Vagifem tablets.

Everyone here is so kind and thoughtful - we don't have to suffer in silence anymore.
Janet x

Taz2

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »

That's great news Janet - hope it works for you as well as it worked for me  ;)

Love Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 79