Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Got such a fright!!  (Read 3851 times)

Justjules

Got such a fright!!
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »

Went for an ecg this morning at Drs. Needed because I want to go back my beta-blockers I've been on for over 25 years that they took me off because of some possible contraindications with my AD. Dr said I could go on them as only a very low dose but would send me for an ecg to check for Long QT blips etc.

Anyway, had loads of ecgs in past but nurse wired me up and as she started the machine I felt a bit of a funny 'rush' through my body and then the machine was bleeping and making loud noises!!! Nurse thought it was just the machine but did it again and again, the machine went mad - I thought, hell, this is it, it's going to be an ambulance job!!!

Nurse said she would send ecg down the telephone line to hospital (I really was panicking then!) and she rang hospital and Dr checked it at the other end and said it was all normal apart from a raised heart rate and Nurse said I was anxious. She spoke to him for a while and at the end said all okay.  I told her I was really worrying now but she said I was fine to go.  I just don't understand what the awful noises were from the machine.  She said they wouldn't let me go if it was anything to worry about.

I am not convinced obviously - HA in full mode... and now thinking I'm going to get a phone call to come into hospital and that there is something wrong or be sent for further tests, otherwise why would the machine do that??? The usually only make a slight 'purring noise' and also, why did I feel 'funny' when the ecg started? I have to go to Drs for a follow-up next week once the hospital Dr has written his report.

I am now thinking I need to pay to go and see a Cardiologist as I've read that ecgs aren't reliable for all heart stuff.

Grrr, just when I was starting to calm down a teeny weeny bit  ???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Got such a fright!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »

Why won't your brain believe the Nurse who has spoken to someone 'in the know'  :-\.  What's the worst it could be?  Machines make noises  :-\ ……….. if you were likely to have 'something' the Nurse would have put you into a darkened room to relax then repeat the tests.

Strange old thing the Mind, mine was in over-drive last night - convinced I had something 'wrong' but slept OK and I can't remember what it might have been now but it was going to be serious  :-\
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:26:15 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:25:53 PM »

I remembered what it was  ::) so jotted it down in the HAnxiety thread.  How do you feel now?

Justjules

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:15:02 PM »

CLKD, I know - it's because I have 'mistrust' issues which is responsible for my HA!!  I wouldn't care but I decided before I went today not to get anxious about it as it was only an ECG and then that happened  :beat:

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »

Justjules, this is me. I had a similar thing happen when I went for my ECG a few months ago. The nurse covered me with a blanket and told me not to move whilst she spoke to the GP. And guess what? He really wasn't concerned and said all was fine! Well, I'm still here so I guess it must have been! But I worried for weeks afterwards I must admit, and consulted Dr. Google on several occasions, which just made it worse. I think sometimes we have to trust that they know what they're doing! It's hard at the time though, isn't it? :bighug:

Sending you a big hug, because I've been there and you need one right now!

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »

Thanks Tempest.  That's really nice of you.  Yes, you're right, I will be worrying!!  ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »

The machine can make a noise if you move and even the tiniest movement can do this. Please be very reassured that your ecg has been checked by someone who knows what to look for.

I understand about the anxiety though as 2 years ago a nurse wired me up to ecg and told me I had very bad atrial fibrillation ( very fast erratic heartbeat that can cause a stroke), she said I had to see a Dr and waited an hour. I had told her that as I have pulsitile tinnitus I can hear my heartbeat all the time and it wasn't erratic at all but very steady but she was adamant the ecg couldn't lie.  Finally this Dr looked at the ecg and said it had been done wrong and do it again and of course it was fine.  I didn't see this nurse again which is probably a good thing >:(

Justjules

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »

Well it certainly made a noise CB!  I would have been a little more reassured if the nurse knew what it was but she didn't.  Yes, I wouldn't have wanted to see that nurse again either!

coldethyl

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »

Try not to worry. Machines bleep and make weird noises all the time. I've had a few ( lots) of ECGs on lots of different machines and some are much noisier than others. If you move ( and I've been told to try to not even breathe too deeply ) then it can set it all a jitter. The doctor has seen the ECG and thought nothing of it, so I'd try and accept it is fine.

Justjules

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »

Sorry, Coldethyl, didn't respond to your kind reply. Yes, hopefully will be okay when I go for the results next week. x