Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: Bah Humbug! (Is it just me?)  (Read 108453 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Bah Humbug! (Is it just me?)
« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »

You have to say when you don't enjoy something. I used to loathe cooking and being left to get on with while others were enjoying themselves in the other hurt. One year I said how I dreaded it and they were shocked. They assumed I enjoyed cooking, but they all stepped in and my daughter now takes over. The cooking gene jumped over me, but my daughter loves it. Roast chicken Christmas Day and one of her wonderful curries or something oriental for Boxing Day. All I have to do is lay the table, pay for the food and eat!

honeybun

« Reply #391 on: December 03, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »

Sounds good to me Ju Ju. Glad it was easy for you to get it sorted out. My niece who was married last week is going to her MIL for Xmas dinner I think. I wonder if she will be subjected to the level of abuse that I was.  :-\  I really hope not.

My ideal Xmas day would to get every one here on Xmas eve and then to get snowed in for a good few days.

I can dream can't I  ::)

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #392 on: December 03, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

We have always done the travelling: for over 25 years. Then when Mum took up with another man we stayed here for 4 years and did our own thing. 

Now we go to keep Mum company for a few days, taking the presents and some of the food. She and DH cook lunch for we 3; his brother and wife cook for the 5 of us on Boxing Day.  Seems to work …….. we then return on the 27th …… *then* it can snow  ;) ……… hard!  Duty done. 

I do enjoy writing the cards, choosing paper, ribbon, labels; putting the decs up, always by the 18th ready for my birthday  ;) ; buying new baubles etc. in the Sales after C.mas.  Last year I bought 10 brightly coloured balls all for £5.00 - they were £3.00 each previously  ::) …… they will go outdoors when we get a break in the weather ……...

Joyce

« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »

Just us two this year for Christmas. Maybe see son at some point with his GF, but they are spending Christmas at her dad's. I'm just taking it easy. Nibbles at lunch, then meal later. All or most of which I'll prepare after having bubbly. Hubby happy for me to do whatever I'm comfortable with. I've had anxiety attacks on Christmas day before now, but hoping not this year.

Taz2

« Reply #394 on: December 03, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »

Sounds like you will be able to relax cubagirl.  :)

Taz x  :xmas:

Joyce

« Reply #395 on: December 03, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »

Sure hope so Taz. Had pretty rubbish Easter last two years. Must be due for something good.

groundhog

« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »

Christmas - ah where do I start.  As a child,  teenager loved it.  Once I married it became more awkward - I recall boxing days spent trawling down my SIL in the rain or snow with pushchair whilst my husband got wrecked.  I hated it.  Then we started hosting dinner - first few years ok but hard going as my health isn't great.  It was a day of hard work and planning then cleaning up then feeling exhausted.  Then my mother had brain haemorrhage so the last few years have been a different type of strain.  This year my daughter has agreed to host dinner.  I have to take the advice of the song and LET IT GO.  She is not organised and has asked her partners parents so there will be 11 of us.  They want to do everything themselves and won't accept help.  So I will take a back seat and leave them get on with it - they are trying very hard to get it right so I mustn't interfere and get my control freak head on lol. 
Hubby is already mumbling as we are creatures of habit but we will go with flow xxx

Joyce

« Reply #397 on: December 04, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »

Take the back seat & enjoy groundhog. It's hard, but is actually rather nice. You could offer to wash dishes or offer to take over something which you've prepared if you feel you need to. My son's GF had everything prepared last year. All I did was make dessert, which didn't take long. A raspberry meringue pie. Made pastry at home & took with me, plunked in rasps, whisked up meringue & in the oven. Done! Had the bestest of times too.

purplenanny

« Reply #398 on: December 04, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »

I do enjoy writing the cards, choosing paper, ribbon, labels; putting the decs up, always by the 18th ready for my birthday  ;) ; ……...

Both Sagittarian's then CLKD - mine is the 19th!!  PN x x

CLKD

« Reply #399 on: December 04, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »

20th ……..  and I'm married to an archer  ;D -  since 1975
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:43:48 PM by CLKD »

purplenanny

« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »

Is that good?
I am married to a pisces - don't know if that's good either, but 39 years aint bad! ;)

babyjane

« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »

I have the back seat this year too, for the first time for 10 years  :)

CLKD

« Reply #402 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »

2015: what's everyone cooking for C.mas Eve, C.mas Day and Boxing Day?  We collected the pheasants today, ready dressed and frozen …….. we will take 3 home for Mum to cook slowly, in foil, basting regularly.  With trimmings.  She has the puddings apparently …….. we are to buy and take the salad stuff.  We are taking a lump of beef for Boxing Day.

Cake anyone?

Ju Ju

« Reply #403 on: December 08, 2015, 11:42:13 PM »

I shan't be doing any cooking. DD will cook both days. I've made 3 cakes and marzipaned them. Still got to ice them if I'm up for it by Christmas. If not DH is willing to have a go, probably producing a snow storm scene.

Scampi

« Reply #404 on: December 09, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

Christmas Eve is my prep-day, so we usually have a take-away.
Christmas Day, we'll be having croissants and pain-au-chocolate from breakfast, then the full works (turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, stuffing and sausagemeat loaf, roast and mashed potatoes, sprouts, carrots, parsnips, cauli cheese, bread sauce and proper gravy) - there's just the 3 of us this year, so we'll eat a little later than usual (around 4pm) and other than nibbly bits, that will see us through the day!.
Boxing Day will be left-overs!  We LOVE the left-overs - I have to cook the main dinner with left-overs in mind!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29