Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29

Author Topic: Bah Humbug! (Is it just me?)  (Read 108526 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bah Humbug! (Is it just me?)
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »

Maybe a plant in return then Mrs P?  Don't feel uncomfortable, the art is to receive  ;)  .......

Jenny50

« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

I like your style, Bette, it's the thought that counts.  We tried to limit our gift list this year but relatives we mentioned it to (who we often don't see from one year to the next) wouldn't hear of it.  Our tree went up yesterday as my sister is on her way down now to stay a couple of days so it looks a bit festive for her visit.  We usually put a lovely old Christmas blues CD on but couldn't face it this year.  Bah humbug!

Jenny X

Bette

« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »

Isn't really to do with saving money, just thought it made a nice change. We usually exchange little "silly" gifts just for fun. It's just a case of finding something for Auntie (she's told Mum that she'd like a red jumper so off to Bon Marche as she likes their stuff), getting Mum a calender as usual and something else (maybe a jumper for her too) and then something silly for OH if I see something. Maybe I'm not really "bah humbug" as I do just what I want and nothing more........ no guilt, no regrets.  ;)
Bette x

san

« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »

We did most of the shopping yesterday. Just a couple of bits need ordered on line. Tree will go up next weekend.
We have cut down on spending this year. An agreed family decision.

Bettie I admire your attitude. I hope I can develop that. I'm afraid I still have that nagging guilt feeling about meeting expectations  :(

cutey1

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2011, 09:34:09 AM »

I decorated the tree yesterday, but could not be bothered to do all the other christmas stuff I usually put up - I did not feel excited at all...............what is wrong with me  :-\ even my hubby looked surprised when I said I had had enough and the others could wait!

I also spoke with my aunt yesterday and we had a conversation about pressies, I told her to please not bother with my family as we really don;t need anything and the pressies last year I did not use!  She was saying she was struggling this year so when I told her not to bother with us, she was so appreciative!  To be honest I only see her a couple of times a year and to be honest, I cannot stand my uncle, he is so rude, that when we go round, he can never be bothered to speak to you, so I am happy that is a couple of pressies off the xmas list  :)

I find christmas is getting far too stressful and demanding and I am starting to do what I want to do and not what others want me to do - it feels soooooooo much more comfortable  :)

Bette

« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »

when I told her not to bother with us, she was so appreciative
That's how we all felt when P-i-l said the same years ago. It's fine for those who really enjoy buying pressies and are sure that what they give (and get!) give real pleasure but otherwise you're just exchanging money for things you wouldn't really have bothered to spend on for yourself.
Re-reading that, I feel it is truely in the "bah humbug" spirit!  ;D
Bette x

littleminnie

« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »

Only got 2 presents so far.  Got four friends at work to buy for and I haven't a clue what to get this year.
Off to M&S tomorrow to see what they have.

Oldteen

« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2011, 12:14:32 PM »

I totally agree Fleurie. We never see our relatives at Christmas and always end up just sending each other vouchers. We've finally decided to stop all that as what's the point? My son had an HMV voucher from about three years ago which is now invalid so that's £10 down the drain.

I was going shopping today, but I've been working more than double my usual hours and will do so next week as well, and I'm just too tired!

I may have to abandon my principles of supporting shops and order some things online this year. I only have to buy for my kids and am finding even that too much. Couldn't be bothered with cards either.

I'll get there...eventually... :crutch:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »

TO care for someone else we have to be healthy ourselves.  If we have toxic people around, everyone suffers.  For over 30 years our routine was so exact I could time my watch by when we would be where and with whom so 2 years ago we called it quits.  I am pleased that you have kept your Dad on side, perhaps he is happier now that the responsibility is with someone else?  Guilt can be draining: been there, done that: but to preserve my marriage, I've walked away from several members of my family  ;) and I don't think they actually realise  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »

Haven't done one thing towards Xmas and really can't be bothered.  My friend asked me if I'd like to go with her tomorrow and I said "No thanks". 

We threw away our ancient artificial tree last year and I am even wondering whether to bother replacing that.  This year feels the least Christmasssy ever.  There was a Salvation Army band playing Xmas carols yesterday in a street and I just wanted to run and hide.

Bah Humbug!!!! ;)

silverlady

« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »

Tolstoy said " Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. ” ... think it was from Anna Karenina.

Its so true especially at Christmas.

silverlady x

silverlady

« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »

Just could not resist posting this from my FB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHpMZPYWDm0

;D ;D

silverlady x

Oldteen

« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »

:drunklaf:

littleminnie

« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »

Off to the shops now to start the Christmas shopping.  Ive got 12 presents to buy (not counting OH and sons), so my plan is that I am aiming to buy at least 4 today, if I do I will be happy.  Hope its not too busy.

Joyce

« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »

Only got one more to buy.  All the rest wrapped.  Cards have been posted.  Still not got the tree up yet though.  It's down from the loft, so I'm moving in the right direction.   ;D  May attack that this afternoon, depending on what's on the tv.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29