Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Internet - addiction or habit?  (Read 13589 times)

larkrise

The Internet - addiction or habit?
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »

Here's a topic for discussion.

Is the internet addictive, if so why?  or is it more of a habit?  But then how much can a habit turn into an addictive pattern.

I find it very difficult to resist logging onto my forums throughout the day, even when I have other things to do.  I also find it hard to limit my time, as I must.

What is the driving force behind this need?  Addiction or habit?

Christine662

Re: The Internet - addiction or habit?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »

Hi

I always have the PC on during the day & keep going in & checking forum & emails...why I have no idea.

I think its habit (hope its not addiction ::))

Stumpy xx

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »

I think it's possibly a bit of both?  I normally only use it at work (when I should be working ;)) but having a grown-up son at home who ties up the internet with all his down-loading it makes it difficult to get a decent speed on my lap-top.  At work however - as long as the boss is looking the other way - I can use it most of the time.  I come on here and also a couple of other forums (greyhound related) that I belong to - does that make me an addict :)

Gobe

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

Addiction - when we changed our Internet Provider we had no broadband for a couple of weeks.  I did miss it but I didn't have withdrawal symptoms so, no, I don't think for me it is addictive. I just found other things to do.  My OH was climbing the wall with frustration and really did miss it but then he is a self confessed gaming addict. ::)  That is why we have to have his'n'hers pc's.

Habit - Yep.  I am a creature of habit.  But as I said above my habits can be substituted if the need arises.  I use the Internet for forums, email, online shopping and reading online newspapers.  It is more of a convenience for me than anything else. 

Overall my conclusion is that my PC is a very handy adjunct. :)

Bette

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

Very pleasant habit.  :) When I'm at home, I check emails and this site regularly through the day but don't worry about not being able to log on if I'm at work or out all day.
Bette x

ricky

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »

Think holidays

Do you miss it when your away?

I don't, too busy enjoying myself

8)

Ricky

silverlady

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

I think the internet is a great source  for almost everything I can think of, I love it and now cannot think what life was before it, I don't miss it when I go away but when I get back I am glad its there.  I would feel lost if my server went down.

I think we are so so lucky to live in these times and I just wish I could be around to see the next generation of computers and Internet.

So for me its a happy addiction, nothing like a cold winters Sunday afternoon playing my BigFish games.

silverlady x

coffee mate

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »

I do miss it when it goes down and I'm at home.

Do I miss it when I'm away on holiday?   do I heck as like!   :D

silverlady

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »

;D ;D Coffeemate you sound right Lancashire.

silverlady xx

coffee mate

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »

;D I know,  I watch far too much Corrie.   ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »

When I'm away from home I rarely think about it.  But with the computer in the spare bedroom I'll look in and out almost continually during the day  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »

Hope it's habit.  With hubby it's addiction!

viv

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »

Habit for me I think. Its just part of my day and I like reading the chat. If I have other things to do then it does not bother me and if I am away I never give it another thought. I do hate having to clear my inbox of a weeks rubbish though.

What did we do regarding research before google. Its so easy when wanting to know how to do something or learn something just to ask goole a quick question.

Honeyb
x

viv

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »

I still love the library and support my local one by going every week for something to read. I never do any research there though.

Recently I took up knitting again and I had totally forgotten how to pick up stitches for a neck band. As hard as I tried I just could not get it to come out right. I looked for a You Tube  clip and sat with the laptop next to me and watched and copied someone else doing it. It was great. I suppose in years gone by I would have gone and asked someone to help me and that would have been a sociable thing to do. But it was so handy just to watch this clip as many times as I wanted until I got it right.

Honeyb
x

Bette

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »

Sorry, HB but do you mean "knitting" or is "knotting" a quaint Scottish craft?  ??? :)
Bette x
Pages: [1] 2 3