Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 121609 times)

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2012, 02:11:29 PM »

Thanks for the info Night_Owl - I've pm'ed you re the vag  :o

Hmm yes never thought I would still be shoving so many things up there still

Just re-inforce the quote I put on the boards over Xmas where Jennifer Saunders as Eddie, said to Saffy in the recent AbFab as she leaned over to kiss her and Saffy questioned the crackling sound - and I have to repeat it because it is so apt, (as I slap and stick and poke all my products in the appropriate places...)

"I don't have any hormones darling, I'm just held together with patches pills and suppositories!!"

Hurdity x :)

Night_Owl

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

HA HA.  Love the fantastic Eddie quote, that is totally how I feel these days - held together by meds, none of the 'real me' left, all chemically supported.

Psyching myself up for the prog Cyclogest use next week - know that I will be going to the rotten Dark Cave again.

x 12 this time as I have left it longer - am going to be a devil though and cut a small piece off each pessary.  As discussed previously, 400mg seems way too much, too heavy handed, but the clinic won't sanction 200mg.

Dreading it, as always ... sigh ...

Night_Owl
x

Eddie

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »

Hurdity. I stopped the Utrogestan mainly because of the breath thing, i would waken up in the middle of the night and think the dog had had the runs in my bedroom, i used to get up and search for it, because i could smell such a foul smell everywhere i went. I became so paranoid about it, working in a shop too, so that was enough really.
Eddie. x

Eddie

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »

It's funny now, and i can remember when i mentioned it on here months back it raised a few laughs, my wee dog wasn't laughing though. Love Ab-fab too, i bought the episodes from iTunes.
Eddie. x

Hurdity

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »

Eddie

:rofl:

Hurdity x  :)

Eddie

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »

:scottie:  Eddie. x

Hurdity

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »

Post from george from Evorel conti thread:
"Hi hurdity, I notice you are using utrogestan.  This has been suggested to me as being one of the kinder progesterones.  I have read a lot of threads where women were not too happy with this, tiredness and bad breath I think.  How do you find it and are you conti or sequi.  Need to make up my mind this week as it is either this or the coil.

Thanks

Xxx"

Hi george
There is no doubt that Utrogestan is one of the kinder progesterones - it is identical to our natural progesterone we produce whereas all the other pills and patches contain synthetic progestins.

The thing about side effects is that most women throughout their fertile lives have some sort of reaction to progesterone. Increasing amounts during the menstrual cycle (and much larger amounts in pregnancy) can cause breast tenderness, bloating, tiredness,  sometimes nausea. :(

The rapid fall in progesterone just before the period ( ie the last week) also causes symptoms in most women - in particular headaches, tension, irritability, >:( fuzzy head, anxiety, weepiness etc.

For some women these symptoms are intolerable monthly throughout their lives.

I only say this because it would be unusual to find any progesterone that caused no side effects whatsoever - either while levels are high, or when they decrease, and lead to the period.

Those women who have suffered from bad pms - are much more likely to have problems finding a suitable HRT progesterone/progestogen.

Therefore you are reading about those who unfortunately fall into this category and are struggling to find something that suits them.

How were you with pms and I can't find what you've tried before? Also are you supposed to be on conti or cyclical regime?

I would certainly recommend trying Utrogestan.

The main side effects I found are just tiredness while taking it - but that is really minor! I use it vaginally (200 mg) as I don't like taking HRT by mouth. I am using it every two months as I am post meno and don't want to feel tired all the time so I'm putting up with a bleed. Some women as you've read have found it gives them migraines. I got a migraine with it but that's because I mixed it with alcohol ( I think!). :o

Both times ( I;ve only taken it for 2 cycles so far) I did not get  a migraine after I came off it, just before the bleed, whereas when I was using another natural prog - Cyclogest pessaries - I always got a 3 day migraine when I stopped each month. :(

Some say it builds up in your system over a few months so I need to wait and see whether further migraines develop...   :-\

I don't have a problem with the breath ( and hadn't heard of this until recently!) because I don't take it by mouth but it's a question of weighing up all the pros and cons and see how your body reacts.

On the positive side natural progesterone has a sedative effect (which manifests as tiredness) but in smaller doses women have reported a calming effect.  :) This is less likely to happen with the synthetic progestogens which can have the opposite effect ( depressive). :(

Do read the threads on the Mirena coil - several have posted recently - there are quite extreme reactions to this. It seems to be either wonderful  :) or dreadful!  :'(

Good luck and keep us posted with whatever you decide.

Hurdity

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »

Hi george

That's great!! - I do hope you are OK on it. As you say you've got nothing to lose so it's worth a try.
Interested to hear you are also being prescribed two monthly as this is what I do, 12 days every two months - but I only have 50 mcg oestrogen. Was the doc happy with the 75 mcg too?
I would like to increase my oestrogen to 75 mcg but worried it might be too much with only two monthly prog because of the bleeds - having had about 15 months without them until recently, so would be interested in what sort of bleeds you get on this. You are younger than me and peri meno so of course it's different as I'm a bit past it  ;D.
Anyway good luck with it all and hope you begin to feel better soon when your body gets used to the extra oestrogen.

Hurdity

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

Well done and good luck with that loveydovey! Let's hope the gynae says yes, and you are able to tolerate it without adverse side effects - you will probably feel tired as you would expect from using prog but fingers crossed for you. Let us know how you get on.

coffee mate

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed for you LD. Do let us know how you get on, wont you?
cm xx

coffee mate

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »

Yes george that was the part that worried me too. We're supposed to eat a light snack before bed to keep our anxiety at bay and yet we're supposed to take Utro before we go to bed, on an empty stomach!

What I do is have a light snack about an hour before bed, then take my Utro in bed, after I've watched a bit of TV.   I've had no problem so far.  :) 

cm xx

Taz2

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »

Hi LD - it depends if you are taking it continuously. How long is it then since your last period because you  may still need to have a bleed depending on your age and I can't remember how old you are.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »

Because you still have your womb though doesn't it still need protecting? Did you go for the permanent contraception solution after it?

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »

If you use a progesterone all the time then you shouldn't get a bleed - unless you are one of the women who are like me and bleed continuously on continuous progesterone. The Novasure doesn't always stop periods completely. There are other ladies on here who have had it done - perhaps they will pick up on this if you start a new thread about HRT after Novasure?

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

Hi loveydovey

If you have been prescibed prog on a conti basis ( ie no bleed), you are right in that when Utrogestan is prescribed on a conti basis you only take it (100 mg capsule) Day 1- 25. Day 25-28 you stop so theroetically you could get a small withdrawal bleed. When prog is given continously it interferes with the build up of the lining so there shouldn't be much. It should be nothing like a proper period.

Earlier on this thread (I think) there was discussion about whether it (Utrogestan) can be prescribed completely continuously and there is one member who is doing this, who will hopefully be along. You would need to check with your gynae whether this was OK - and in your circumstances after the op especially there could be minimal build up.

It is all a question of weighing up the different  treatments and the side effects we get. For each of us individually we have to decide what we can put up with and what is intolerable and make a decision from there. For many, norethisterone has horrible side effects which are worse than having to put up with a small bleed. I don't think there is a magic solution, short of hysterectomy - and that carries its own burden and hormonal shock for the body.

I do hope you feel better soon - sounds like you are really exhausted...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14