Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 121595 times)

coffee mate

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »

Oh and forgot to add to that, constipation seems worse since starting it! :(

Yes Cassie I also seem to suffer more with constipation since starting Utrogestan.

As for the farting, well, sometimes they do slip out quite unexpectedly these days, whereas before Utro, I always had "notice", then at least I could leave the room first.... ::)

Rivadan

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

;D You lot do make me laugh!

Here's my update.  Having abandoned Utro due to the side effects, I've now successfully completed 14 days of Dydrogesterone (as in Femoston) and fingers crossed, this seems to be my solution.

For those of you who may not know me I was trying Utro because I'd had to give up Norethisterone due to hair shedding, although in all other respects it was fine. I'd also tried MPA which just gave me horrendous back pain.

I'm really relieved to have found something which seems to be working. I've decided to use it cyclically as I definitely feel I'm one who's better not having prog in my system continually. Hopefully as I'm now getting on a bit and only take a low dose oestrogen the withdrawal bleeds will only be light.

This has been quite a journey (nearly a year of experimenting!) but I am at last optimistic.

coffee mate

« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »

Yes same here Rivaden. Just over 12 months of experimenting with different HRT preps, and all because I just couldn't cope with the progesterone side of things.
I really hope that the Utro continues to agree with me, for as most of us know, it can be fine for a few months, and then WALLOP, it's back to square one!

cm xx

Cassie

« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »

I find that I fart, um sorry, pass wind, most of the night after inserting them, its actually quite embarrassing although we have been married forever! Speaking of which,  I have a friend who is a real lady, she has been married for almost 20 years and dated her husband for a few years prior to that, she has never farted in front of him, in fact, it is a standing joke, he has promised her an all expenses trip abroad if she will and she flatly refuses, so coy and sweet, wait until she reaches menopause.....evil grin!!

Rivadan

« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

Ha Ha - and it only gets worse from here on in. My mother does it without even seeming to be aware of it nowadays (much to the amusement of her many teenage grandsons!).

Taz2

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

Hopefully the inability to hold in farts arrives at around the same time as the hearing and sense of smell diminishes  ;D ;D

viv

« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »

Either that or they just dont care Taz.

I have stood in queues behind many an old buddy and heard them let rip. They dont even look embarrassed.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »

That's because they can't feel or hear it!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

Yes Susan - the muscles get slack there. Prolapse is not uncommon which is why it is very important to do those pelvic floor exercises forever.....

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »

Is the lining still being shed if you haven't had a bleed? Usually lack of bleeds means that you haven't built up enough lining for there to be anything to shed. About 15% of women don't bleed on sequi HRT so maybe you're one of those.  ;) Lack of bleeds isn't usually seen as a problem but any unexpected bleeding or spotting should be checked out.
Bette x

Bette

« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

Well, the menu on the left says that the dosage for Utrogestan is 200mg daily at bedtime for 12 days per 28 days (days 15-26 inclusive) Did your doctor prescribe it for only 7 days? Personally I wouldn't want to risk a build-up of the womb lining; maybe you could try taking it for 12 days and see what happens?
Bette x

Bette

« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »

Maybe worth a chat the next time you see him.  ;)
Bette x

Hurdity

« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »

Hi meno-me

Just got back from holiday and seen your post - it depends on what your dose of oestrogel is.

The amount of build-up is what is known as dose-dependent ie the higher the dose of oestrogen, the greater the womb lining is stimulated. Usually this means therefore you need a higher dose of prog to shed it.

So how many pumps of oestrogel do you use and what's the strength of it?

He might have prescribed this amount if the dose of oestrogen you are using is very low.

Also some women - inlcuding some on here, are highly intolerant to prog and so their doc prescribes a lower dose than is licensed ie less than shown on the green menu.

It depends on your own history, cycle, where you are in meno and what your cycle was doing before you started HRT.

I did not have bleeds towards the end of a long period of about 3 1/2 years of cyclical HRT with medium dose oestrogen 50 mcg oestro ( I think this is equivalent to about 2 pumps), and 400 mcg Cyclogest ( much more prog) 11 days per month - and I was post-meno. The high dose of prog was being given but there just wasn't enough build up.

Hope this helps!
Hurdity x

Robyn

« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2012, 01:00:55 AM »

I've just read through this whole thread because I'm considering talking to my GP about Utrogestan because I appear to have a problem with progesterone.

Can I ask those who have had problems using Utrogestan if you had PMS or period problems prior to menopause?

There seems to be some ladies who do well on Utrogestan and those who don't, and I'm just trying to see if there is a pattern here.  I never suffered from any period or PMS problems prior to menopause, so I was obviously coping okay with my own progesterone, so I'm hoping that means I would do okay on Utrogestan. On the other hand there may be no correlation at all, and I will just have to try it to see how I go. 

Judging by what I'm reading here though I think I would prefer to use it vaginally, as I've always been a bit leery about taking any kind of HRT orally, especially after reading about the dog breath thing….lol….
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:03:52 AM by Robyn »

Hurdity

« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »

Hi Robyn

I am not one with Utrogestan problems but did want to reply

Yes interesting the pms thing

As I see it, during our menstruating years the pms can sort of be divided into 3 causes ( although they all seem to merge):

1 Reaction to the increase
in progesterone - some women are particularly sensitive to this especially when given artificially

2 Severe reaction to the progesterone itself - the unfortunate few women who are progesterone intolerant. Here I mean more than the "usual" bit of bloating a bit of tiredness etc that progesterone causes in most (?) women - eg anxiety, headaches, irritability, depression amongst other symptoms

3 The reaction to the drop in progesterone - this is what I call "classic pmt" - ie those few days of irritability, tension, headches - used to be called pre-menstrual tension because it came just before the period, until it was recognised that some women are actually "allergic" to prog itself.

I did not suffer the full pms but pmt only - my symptoms all related to the fall in prog and I could actually feel the change. Tension, headaches, tearfulness, irritability, but the prog itself was fine - I was fine during all my preganancies when prog is high too.

That is probably why I am OK on Utrogestan - the bit I was worried about was coming off it - especially as I had bad migraines on Cyclogest (the dose for this prog is very high) - particularly coming off it.

So far I have had no reaction to Utrogestan withdrawal - for the 3 cycles I have used it, and from what you say - you would seem to be a good candidate. I don't think you can compare your reaction to synthetic progestins, with natural progesterone, as the former are artificial, although of course adding the prog even if bio-identical is still an artifical thing to do and unfortunately the way it is given does not mimic the natural cycle ie we are just given a dose to take for 10 -14 days, so no wonder some women are crawling on the ceiling!

Several of the women who have had problems are actually intolerant to most prog so are v unlucky.

Will give you more details by pm

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14