Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

View on Hysteroscopy from Senior Consultant

<< < (3/4) > >>

Kathleen:
Hello ladies.

I found my hysteroscopy to be very painful but the way the appointment was arranged meant that it would have been very difficult to stop the procedure.  My appointment letter said that I would have an ultrasound scan and if the womb lining needed to be investigated I would go into another room where a hysteroscopy would be performed. I thought this was a good idea as I would have a thorough investigation at one appointment. When I arrived I noticed other women in the waiting room were swallowing pain relief tablets and I soon found out why!

I recently spoke to a Consultant who told me that some numbing agent was supposed to be used but I don't think it was.

My impression was that women were rushed through the appointments as this was convenient and efficient for the hospital. Perhaps if women object to this system delays will become inevitable and the cost increase.

Take care ladies.

K.

Jules:
Yes Kathleen. Hospitals used to be given financial incentives for doing them in outpatients. That's stopped now but there's definitely a cost factor. They get through them as quickly and therefore cheaply as possible. I did take pain relief and it didn't touch that pain. I was told that gas and air was available but once the procedure was underway,, it wasn't provided and as I was fainting I couldn't ask either. The attending nurse told me after that she wouldn't have it done like that. She has a GA!

AKatieD:
I was not expecting the hysteroscopy to be as it was - info suggested a rest afterwards and back to work next day so no big deal I thought. I don't think I had or was offered anaesthetic as I did not know it was avilable or advisable.

The procedure was done in 2023 and involved something like the old wind up mechanical drills with the handle that turns to work the drill. The consultant was grinding away for some time, which was quite traumatic but not too painful.

It was only when I stood up to leave after, that I realised I could barely manage to walk back to my car. Took over a week to feel bearable again, which was a bit of a problem when I was supposed to be working.

Would not willingly go through that again. Child birth a doddle in comparison.

Jules:
Yeh, I didn't faint in childbirth. My foreign friend was horrified when I described it. She said it sounded like victorian times

HellsBells:
I meant to add....the consultant said that on the pain scale (out of 10) his sister said this procedure was a 10... She has had children, a colposcopy and another 'oscopy (can't remember which).

No wonder there is a national campaign. It's the mesh scandal all over again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version