Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Thyroid issues & support

<< < (13/20) > >>

Wrensong:
Hi Elliebee, it's always helpful to know FT3 level if we are having symptoms of thyroid dysfunction, but if your tests are NHS I think they are unlikely to test T3 for you as this test is usually reserved for when there is a suspicion of hyperthyroidism, rather than hypothyroidism which an elevated TSH may indicate.
Wx

Elliebee:
Thank you Wrensong . We’ve communicated before. My TSH only slightly elevated on 2 occasions. Will see what antibody test shows and decide then what to do.if antibodies GP said I’ll have regular blood tests. If antibodies not present then no further investigation- just one of those things with raised TSH. Not sure if referral to endocrinologist would be advised?

Wrensong:
Always a difficult situation when TSH is only slightly raised.  I see from an earlier post you do have some symptoms suggestive of an underactive thyroid, together with the slightly raised TSH . . .

--- Quote ---I do feel low , tired even after a goods night sleep, can feel shivery at times, have brittle nails, and a low resting pulse. Plus diagnosed with high BP in Jan. Could these all be linked to my thyroid ?
--- End quote ---

If you feel there is no other explanation for your feeling under par & the next thyroid tests prove inconclusive, then it might be helpful to get an Endocrinologist's opinion if this is possible for you.  You said, I think, your T4 is in range - could you post the result if you don't mind sharing, so we can see where in the range it is?
Wx

Elliebee:
Hi Wrensong my T4 was 16 .1range is 11-22. TSh 4.24 ( range 0.27 to 4.2)

My B12, folate and ferritin whilst within range are on
Low side of normal and definitely not optimal. I’m having a B12 injection tomorrow (private healthcare).

Wrensong:
Thanks Elliebee.  You might feel better with a T4 closer to top of the range than that & your slightly raised TSH seems to suggest your pituitary is trying to get your thyroid to produce more, so the 2 do seem to tie up.  Hopefully the thyroid antibody tests will throw more light on it.

Optimal levels of B group vitamins are important for normal thyroid function as I expect you know & low ferritin can also be an adverse factor.  There is also an increased prevalence of B12 deficiency among hypothyroid individuals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version