Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Thyroid issues & support

<< < (9/20) > >>

Helly1977:
Hi Wrensong. So sorry I have been slow to reply. A lot of what you said in your post makes sense. The one thing I don’t understand is that regardless of my t4 &t3 by TSH never seems to change. they have investigated all sorts with no conclusion.
I guess the thyroxine will be coming down at my next gP appointment but I’ll be honest I’m scared about that. I know what you are saying about some of the symptoms being the same for over medicated thyroid however they feel very different to when I have had symptoms before. For example, high levels for me is usually palpitations, anxiety panic l and difficulty getting to sleep etc,. I haven’t  had most of those and the sleep issue is different in that I can get to sleep but keep waking up.
The increase to 2 sprays of Lenzetto was back in September so two months before my last oestrodiol levels.
In terms of how I’m going at the moment, it’s not good to be honest. I feel so low in mood and have lost my desire for life so much that it frightens me. I know I need help and drug changes but the gP always bangs on about my thyroid however I know me and I know that’s not the fundamental issue. At no point when my levels have been badly out, have I ever felt this way. It tears me up to write this because not only is it frightening to feel this but the realisation that they can’t help
You, at least not quickly.

Wrensong:
Hi Helly, thank you for the update.  I'm sorry, I need to rush out just now but will come back to you again later.  Just wanted to say I so hear you on the awfulness of it all & felt the fear you do myself, but that it does get much better in time.
Sending you this for now  :hug:
Wx

Helly1977:
Thank you Wrensong x

Wrensong:
Hi again Helly, having a look at your earlier post now.

--- Quote ---The one thing I don’t understand is that regardless of my t4 &t3 by TSH never seems to change. they have investigated all sorts with no conclusion.
--- End quote ---
When you say your TSH stays the same regardless of your T4 & T3 levels, do you have the results of any earlier TFTs when your T3 & T4 were lower?  It would be helpful to see what you mean.  I'm no expert on this (or anything else for that matter) but if the pituitary hormone TSH is low/suppressed when T3 & T4 are also low, I believe this can (rarely) happen if the pituitary gland is not working properly.  However, I'm sure your endocrinologist will have ruled that out.   

Unlike your TSH, your FSH (56.4) & LH (31) - also pituitary hormones - were not negligible, but in postmenopause range, tying in with your then below range oestradiol of <18.  So that seems reassuring, as I think it suggests your pituitary is responding as expected in menopause, so presumably it's working OK.

--- Quote ---I guess the thyroxine will be coming down at my next gP appointment but I’ll be honest I’m scared about that.
--- End quote ---
I think it might be more helpful to reduce your Liothyronine as your FT4 results (if 14.9 & 12.6) are not high, whereas your FT3 is close to top of the range, so I think part of the reason you're feeling so unwell could be that these two are not balanced as they would be if your thyroid were working properly.  You may in fact need a little more Thyroxine & less Liothyronine to feel better.  I don't know for sure - your endocrinologist would be the right person to advise on that.

Two things I should have thought of before to help get a better idea of the background to what's going on.  First, can I ask have you ever been diagnosed with Graves & had treatment for that leaving you hypothyroid, or if not is it Hashimoto's & how long have you been on replacement?  Also, are you underweight/low BMI?  Please don't feel any pressure to answer if you prefer not to.

--- Quote ---I know what you are saying about some of the symptoms being the same for over medicated thyroid however they feel very different to when I have had symptoms before. For example, high levels for me is usually palpitations, anxiety panic l and difficulty getting to sleep etc. I haven’t  had most of those and the sleep issue is different in that I can get to sleep but keep waking up.
--- End quote ---
I think your instincts are important & I hear you on the change in sleep disruption, but I'm afraid menopause can mess with our formerly reliable instincts, sometimes misleading us.  I'm also confused because you did list anxiety & panic as long term symptoms in an earlier post in this thread:-

--- Quote ---the last 2-3 years I have been struggling with dreadful anxiety, panic attacks . . . night sweats, hot flashes
--- End quote ---
All of those can be symptoms of over-treatment with thyroid meds as you know, but of course they're classic for menopause too & we know from the diagnostic bloods your endocrinologist did that you do seem to be menopausal.  I'm sorry - it's a confusing mix, bless you & this is the problem at menopause for hypothyroid patients & medics alike.  It's just really important that if your thyroid medication is wrong this is addressed.

--- Quote ---The increase to 2 sprays of Lenzetto was back in September so two months before my last oestrodiol levels.
--- End quote ---
So if you were on 2 sprays of Lenzetto for 2 months before your oestradiol tested at 53, that's really very low & I suspect on 3 sprays you are still not getting therapeutic levels, which is likely part of the reason your mood is so low.  Are you expecting to have another oestradiol test soon?  With poor levels like that from Lenzetto, I think you probably need to change to patches or gel.  As I said earlier, I'd suggest patches, as I find these provide a bit more stability than the once/twice a day methods & I think that can be helpful with a thyroid condition.

--- Quote ---they can’t help You, at least not quickly.
--- End quote ---
If it's your T3 dose that needs to come down, the good thing is that its short half life means it's out of our system a lot quicker than Thyroxine.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so awful Helly & if you really feel your thyroid is not part of the problem you might feel more comfortable trying a menopause clinic as you suggested earlier.  I also wonder whether you feel you might want to ask about an antidepressant for your low mood & sleep disruption, just to help you through this very difficult phase until your HRT & thyroid are better balanced.  Many of us need to take one with our HRT, either short or longer term & they can be very helpful. 

Hypothyroidism & menopause can be a very difficult combination & you're having to deal with it at quite a young age too.  I hope you have someone supportive at home.  Please do contact your GP or Endocrinologist soon, as I feel you really need some professional support with this.  My heart goes out to you.
Wx

Helly1977:
Wrensong thank you so much for taking all this time to work through this.
My comment about my TSH is probably a bit dramatic. It has evened out in the past. I guess it’s more the past year that it’s been really reluctant.( I don’t have graves or hatishmoto’s btw) I am overweight- obese thanks to the recent weight gain where I have put a lot of weight on. Can I ask about your comment  about my fsh, lh and oestrodiol being in the post menopausal range. It sounds silly to ask but does that mean I am post menopausal or still peri?. I was told I was early menopause but couldn’t work out where that placed me. Looking at advice for exercises, diet etc, it seems to vary if you are peri or post so that would eb good to get some insights.
Regarding the Lenzetto, I went to 2 sprays in September and my bloods checked in the December were 53. I didn’t go out to 3 sprays until the February.
I think I am going to request my bloods to be repeated and arrange to meet with the GP. If I have no success I am going to the endo guy again as he saved me before. Either way my head feels clearer and calmer today so hoping it was just a blip. Thank you, you are amazing xx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version